Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 21

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I am veganish I guess lol. I don't buy dairy for my house but I will eat it at restaurants or at a family dinner. I'll always opt for the vegan option if there is one, but around here it's just difficult. It's not rly an issue of me craving dairy so much as accessibility. It's rly hard just to be veggie here let alone vegan and I am such a people pleaser who doesn't like to put people out and idk I don't wanna make it more difficult for my family. The more comfortable I get with making vegan dishes tho I'll feel more comfortable bringing food to family dinners and stuff. I know a vegan who lives here and she survives obv but eating out is such a social thing I guess I just don't wanna be that person who can't eat anywhere and makes going out difficult. If I lived in the city I'd be all over it.

Cheese was actually a lot easier to cut out than I thought. I used to use cheese in everything and now when I order a quesadilla with a ton of cheese I can't handle it lol

ChaseTx and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Well he was always bad he just hid it well

ChaseTx likes this.
  4. ChaseTx

Yeah and I don't like having to ask a bunch of questions at restaurants, like is this made with butter, etc. I never used to ask for omissions or substitutions on anything because I ate everything, but I guess I'll get used to it

Luckily my area is relatively vegan friendly I guess

Arry, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Kiana like this.
  5. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

my gf feels SO bad every time she has to ask about her dietary restrictions and i tell her that its the server's job to know whats in their food. i've worked at restaurants for years and asking if its cooked with butter is nothing compared to the dumbest stuff people have asked me (like if we served nachos at a thai restaurant). she's just super self conscious about that stuff every time i go out and i feel bad :(

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

My sister is lactose intolerant so she asks this like every time we're out to dinner, no one has yelled at her haha

Arry likes this.
  7. Kiana

Lol I am the same way. One time I asked a server which veggies were vegetarian because the menu said that not all veggies were vegetarian but didn't have asterisks or specify which weren't. The manager came over and went thru it with me which was super nice and he checked in on me a few times and I was just embarrassed lol

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Arry like this.
  8. Arry

awww that's super sweet. good restaurants will have the menu ingredient listing readily in hand and won't give you shit about it but i understand when they single you out making you feel like a kid lol

9. Kiana

I got Open Nature banana walnut fudge dairy free ice cream made with almond milk and it tastes pretty similar to what I remember chunky monkey tasting like. P good!

10. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

i am vegan and gluten free so going out can be a challenge but from my experience asking politely and tbh on my end im usually pretty apologetic and kind of give a funny "sorry im the worst but im vegan and gf...etc" and i have never had anyone gotten mad at me. also i typically try to do a good amount of research beforehand as i get worried there might be something for me to eat.

11. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

There's a vegan restaurant here in NYC called Urban Vegan Kitchen and they charge $4 to add avocado and $3 to add vegan cheese to their veggie burgers. Talk about a rip-off.

Kiana likes this.
  12. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

But also it's silly when places charge extra for vegan stuff unless it's something super fancy.

13. Kiana

Omg! Im used to meat places pulling this nonsense but from a vegan restaurant?! Traitorous!

summertimejesus likes this.
  14. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

It's generally pretty overpriced. And there's a burger chain called Bareburger in NYC that only charges $1.75 to add avocado so it's not like it's a regional thing! And I think they charge the same to add vegan cheese as they do to add dairy cheese (it's like a build-your-own-burger so you pay for any toppings that aren't basic lettuce/tomato/pickle kind-of-things).

15. Kiana

Dang that just puts things in perspective cause I whine if I have to pay $1 extra for avocado lol. It depends how much they give u tho. Like the coffee shop has avocado toast and I pay the price cause they give me so much. If I pay the up charge and someone gives me like two slivers they better WATCH THEMSELVES

16. Arry

follow your heart brand changed their sour cream base from soy to COCONUT. I kinda understand that more people are allergic to soy than coconut but i feel like every substitute is going to be coconut based and then everything tastes like coconut. :(

17. ChaseTx

I got unmatched on bumble for being vegetarian. I was laughing about it until I told my friend and she said she does that all the time and then started talking about judgmental vegans. The ironyyyyyy

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Probably for the best they'd find another silly deal breaker

19. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

Omg that is sad and hilarious at the same time.

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. waking season Oct 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 22, 2018)
    waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve seen a bunch of “vegetarians need not apply” and just laughed at how much I know I’d dislike their company

summertimejesus, Arry and ChaseTx like this.
  21. I’m eating some awesome vegan chili right now

22. Arry

"Does eating this streak TRIGGER you vegans?? CheckMATE"

23. Kiana

I won't date a fellow veggie unless they give me a breakdown and (vegan) pie chart of how they get their protein. Always concerned about the protein!!!

24. Arry

my gf made these pumpkin cinnamon rolls for our work bake sale (along with non vegan homemade poptarts)

[​IMG]

so good! but if anyone is gonna make these, the filling needs a little more brown sugar than called for. it was undersweet

25. Half way through my chipotle burrito and I bite into a piece of steak ugh