Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 20

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. chris

Trusted Supporter

ok I need approx. 100 orders of pierogies

Arry likes this.
  2. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

do it. get some sour cream too

3. Delish cauliflower wings:

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Smells like someone next door is making pasta and now I'm soooo hungry and looking up vegan lasagna recipes lol

popdisaster00 likes this.
  5. chris

Trusted Supporter

tofutti used to make a ricotta cheese but I never see it anymore. I've made it from silken tofu before (for calzones) and it was a hard "ok"

6. Kiana

We don't have a lot of vegan substitute brands where I live so I have to try to make cheeses and I've never made one that rly tasted super great

7. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

I am not a big fan of substitutes I mostly stick to being more plant based (mostly cause I don’t eat gluten either) but chao cheese is some of the best vegan cheese I have to say.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Same boat here. I got into it wanting to eat healthier, so plant based has been my path. The meat and dairy subs have their places, but I generally feel that if you are trying to make meat and dairy dishes with the subs and expect the same taste or consistency that you will usually be a little disappointed. Not saying they won’t taste good, but there is definitely an element of managing expectations that occurs.

9. Kiana

I get curious about the subs cause we don't have many here so it's always like a secret world haha. I have vegan mayo and that's about it. Once a month or so I'll get veggie mandarin orange chicken or something for if I work late and am lazy to rly cook. Plant based things are just cheaper imo. Like the few subs we have here are so expensive. When people say vegan diets are expensive I feel like they just buy all those subs tbh. I hate looking up recipes and it's all just expensive subs.

Anyway, came here to say I'm so obsessed with chickpea salad sandwiches. I could eat like three a day.

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I need some more easy meals to make when I'm home alone and don't feel like doing a lot of work. I normally do a taco night every week, a pasta night, then I throw in like veggie burgers, skillet potatoes, a few other things. But now 1) I'm getting bored of the same stuff all the time and 2) I just ate oatmeal for dinner because I didn't have anything better to cook and I'm not happy about it!

11. I like to make rice and beans and veggies and just stretch that over a few days for lunches

Michael Schmidt and ChaseTx like this.
  12. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

There’s an “Amy’s” frozen roasted vegi no cheese pizza thats “70% organic” I buy from Publix every so often to throw in if I’m super lazy. I love it though. I sprinkle nutritional yeast on top for a added cheese flavor(and that B12).

Tonight though it was rice and bean burritos for me. Added homemade guac, salsa, nutritional yeast, and had some Beyond Meat chicken I forgot I had. Got a little left for tomorrow too. It hit the spot and was very simple.

13. Kiana

I cook for myself only too and it can suck. Roasted veggies in different combos are always nice and easy. Sometimes I just pick a veggie I haven't had in a while and look for recipes on pinterest. It's nice cause I just pick a few veggies to focus on throughout the week because when I buy a ton of different veggies I don't always use them up. Like I haven't bought carrots in forever so I might do pulled "pork" carrot sandwiches, carrot hotdogs, and roasted honey or brown sugar carrots. I like the chickpea salad sandwiches cause it makes enough for throughout the week. Tofu is also pretty easy. If I know I'm gonna be fairly busy I marinate it ahead of time and just cook it when I have time, or do a faster recipe that doesn't need marinating. Tofu with a grain like Farro or rice or quinoa and roasted veggies are usually my easy go to. Flatbread with pesto and cherry tomatoes and walnuts + arugula tossed in seasonings and olive oil/basalmic is also easy! I find I rly only need to cook two or three times a week and then it's just leftovers and things like sandwiches and salads the rest of the week

But who am I to talk because I also have oatmeal for dinner when I have no other food which is... Often lol

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. ChaseTx

Yeah and I only buy produce for the most part so this is what I should be doing. Also I never do rice or quinoa anymore and I need to throw those back in the mix

I haven't heard of some of those dishes. I'll need to look em up!

Kiana likes this.
  15. Kiana

Srsly pinterest has it all!!
    I just look up "vegan carrot recipes" or whatever veggie it is. I pick what looks good and if there are too many ingredients and it's intimidating or it calls for inaccessible substitutes I just move on. It's nice because you'll start finding a lot of recipes require the same ingredients which is the key to not being as wasteful. Like I use walnuts to make pesto, for chickpea salad, for regular salad, flatbread pizza, etc so one bag has lasted me forever. Or like I stopped buying fresh garlic and get the frozen lil squares and that has saved me a lot! Or cherry tomatoes which I can use on flatbread pizza, plain as a snack, salads, in pesto pasta, or roasted whatever. Thats been the key to me because I was wasting soooo much food before.

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Hell yeah to nutritional yeast. I’m sure I gushed about it when you were making the transition a while ago. If you make your own popcorn, it’s really good on there to give a natural cheese corn taste. Also recommend cooking the kernels with hot sauce as well. Good snack for movie or sport nights.

Supernova likes this.
  17. Supernova

Yeah I think you did gush about it, haha. I mean, its a good, easy additive to a ton of food.

I recently bought some good popcorn I haven't cooked yet so I will do that for sure!

18. Supernova

I've been thinking about looking for a way to eat something similar to chicken salad since I use to love it so much. Never thought of a chickpea salad until now. Recipes look to be a cinch. I'll be making this stuff tomorrow!

And pulled pork carrots sound great which I haven't done yet either.

19. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

we usually eat just pasta and butter lol. or make our own sauce and freeze it/thaw it when we're wanting sauce. costco also sells this garlic quinoa/rice combo that's super good and we get some canned green beans to go along with it. we also meal prep some times; we bulk make falafels and then oven bake them. there's also soy sauce top ramen and pierogies of course.

we should really eat more vegetables but it always goes bad before we eat them.

i'm going to attempt to make some vegan bbq pulled mushroom sandwiches this weekend using my smoker and i'm stoked:

also on the topic of cheese substitutes, i'm going to plug kite hill's ricotta again. it's so stupid expensive, like 10 bucks for a container but we splurge on it because it's so damn good. but anything kite hill is really great.

20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

So I am only veggie but I recently joined a UK FB group called something like "Vegan Supermarket Finds" and it's just a really nice community that shares all the cool food pretty much anyone can find in any supermarket/chain store in the UK and I've found some cool stuff.

We have a chain of smaller stores called Iceland that does almost entirely frozen food and they have announced a new range including vegan Chorizo and I am PUMPED to try it.

21. Philll

Trusted

Aldi/Lidl also have really solid vegan options, a lot of stuff you'd be surprised to find. (Love my budget supermarkets)

popdisaster00 likes this.
  22. Kiana

I have whined about this before but We have a newish burger place I've always wanted to try and I heard its great but I am so annoyed it cost $3 extra for a veggie patty. Granted it is a beyond burger which is delish but I resent having to pay more cause I'm veggie! Most restaurants charge nothing or maybe like $1 extra for a veggie patty. It's annoying. I walk by it every day and my bitterness grows!

23. ChaseTx

I'm strongly considering dropping dairy and going vegan. It'll be easy at the grocery store, not so easy dining out and being a pain in the ass at family dinners

Maybe vegan-ish

BKO5950505 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I thought it would be a pain at family dinners, but I was wrong

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I hear Tracee Ellis Ross is great on Vegan-ish