Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Vegan for almost 7 years, stoked there's a dedicated thread here on Chorus.

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Glad to have you in here! Since you have been working the game for a while, any recommendations/tips/tricks on getting into TVP, vital wheat gluten, and tempeh? Seeing the way these items can be used seems like a game changer and the moment where I truly don't look back. I have been doing a lot of rice, beans, black bean burgers, and quinoa skillets at home, but I want to take things next level. I want to start putting some dishes together that look, taste, and feel like some of the meat staples, but healthier. Thanks!

3. chris

Trusted Supporter

TVP, with the right seasoning, I've had in dishes subbed in for crumbled ground beef. Like tacos and chili.

Essie and Michael Schmidt like this.
  4. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

I don't consider myself vegan due to sometimes eating foods with dairy with in them. I am a vegetarian and have been for a very long time. But my rule of thumb is to try to eat whole and unprocessed foods as often as possible. I'm a big fan of smoothie bowls and buddha bowls on most days. I also pretty much live on avocados. I'm pretty sure I'd be full vegan/plant based all the time if the social aspect of eating wasn't so difficult as a vegan. Most restaurants have maybe a few vegetarian options but then they are basically filled with cheese or something. Also hard to come by these types of options when you live in a state like Texas, where they love meat haha. I'm continuing my best to cut dairy/egg out and it's been a work in progress. I hope to completely make the switch.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  5. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Didn't know this thread existed - hello everyone!

6. The Lucky Moose Jun 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2016)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Part of what I do for a living actually involves helping restaurants in creating attractive vegetarian and vegan options that fit their existing menus. They loose money by not including such options, because the amount of vegans and vegetarians is increasing so rapidly that they have more and more influence on the restaurant choice of larger groups (for example, you might convince all your friends to go to the spot that has vegan options). Most restaurants won't listen though.

TheWater(s) likes this.
  7. chris

Trusted Supporter

Convenient that this thread was bumped. Portland vegan beer and food fest was today. I'm p drunk also had the best 'chicken' sandwich I've had in my life. All in all a good day

8. Michael Schmidt

Anyone have much experience with jackfruit? I was told it can be used on tacos and sandwiches as a really good pulled pork replacement.

9. chris

Trusted Supporter

Have had buffalo jackfruit pizza, can confirm it's a pretty good alternative for that stuff. I'm still a bit scared/hesitant to go out and buy jackfruit (canned or fresh) to make it on my own, but if you can get it near you, Uptons has a line of jackfruit products that are good. Or any of their products really, all good.

10. Michael Schmidt

That's cool! Do you prefer the canned jackfruit in water or brine?

Edit: have you had other people make it using either? Seeing how you already answered my question lol.

11. chris

Trusted Supporter

Latepass sorry. I've only like ordered it out at places. Likely though, I would opt for canned as jackfruit is pretty big and seems pretty cumbersome to try and cut and get out all the flesh or whatever. Also I'm not really even sure where I'd find a fresh one near me.

Otherwise I've only ever tried it at food fests/vegan food expos, so I'm not really sure what's preferred.

12. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

update: i know i said earlier on this thread about not being fully vegan but im three weeks in on being fully vegan.

13. Carmen SD

Trusted

I could never go fully vegan because I like certain daily products, but limit myself because I'm latose intolerant. I'm mostly vegetarian tho to the point where I eat very little meat and people ask me if I'm vegetarian, but it's more that I don't like meat that much. Not a restriction I "choose". Glad this thread is here because I'm try to be more open and eating vegan or vegetarian foods, but they're hard to come by.

14. Imgur Image

Who needs meat?

15. chris

Trusted Supporter

had one of those new Beyond Meat burgers for the first time last night, they're wild. Definitely the closest thing to an actual ground beef burger I've had. At $6 for two of those patties though, probably won't buy them that often.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  16. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Even though actual rice is vegan, I made cauliflower rice tonight for a burrito bowl and it was marvelous.

EarthShifts and Michael Schmidt like this.
  17. EarthShifts

Trusted

Been vegetarian since 2008, and recently made the decision to go fully vegan. I rarely eat dairy as is, so it just made sense for me.

18. thesoftskeleton Apr 3, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2017)
    thesoftskeleton

Trusted

makes me so happy to see the strides companies are making to include vegan options for people. i think the internet and the growth of the vegan community has shown big brands that being conscious is important to so many people. dominos coming with 6 new pizzas that will be VEGAN! Hellmann's out with a vegan mayo...ben and jerrys with dairy free ice cream. not to mention theres SO MANY good dairy free ice cream brands now. its growing market and i hope it keeps going forever lol. although this is all stuff i wouldnt recommend eating all the time as i tend to stick with very raw, whole foods. i also bought a juicer for my birthday because im that kind awful adult person now.

19. Michael Schmidt

I think the Fork and Knives doc and the Cowspiracy docs on Netflix combined with more doctors willing to back vegan/plant-based have done a lot for the different industries. When people with chronic illness start vegan and seriously reduce the severity or in some cases reverse their diagnosis, it's hard to argue against it.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. EarthShifts

Trusted

I think that the Dominos thing was actually an April Fools joke.

I don't even know if I'd eat it if they did it. Last year I was still just vegetarian and got a spinach pizza from there as I was starving and it was late. Ended up in the hospital for a couple days with a bacterial infection which sucked the life out of me for a month. I dunno for sure if it was the pizza, but I dunno what else it could have been.

Either way, it definitely nudged me towards veganism and away from Dominos entirely. Haha.

More to your point though, I am also happy to see more companies offering vegan options.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  21. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

22. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

ah dammit i didnt even think about that. fuck, they got me!

oh no! that doesnt sound good at all. i could see why that'd deter you away, definitely.

23. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I did paleo for a month, then realized meat is actually really gross and I don't want it to be a staple of any diet I am doing. As I've gotten older, it's become harder and harder to eat meat without feeling nauseated. My sister has been a vegan for 3 years, so I think I'm going to try to commit to that. I'm probably going to start off just vegetarian, then move to fully vegan. Cheese is pretty much my biggest downfall, as I drink mostly almond milk as it is and don't like most other dairy. I think it will be way easier than paleo, too.

24. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Been having an itch to go back and try again lately. I'm tired of feeling like shit and I really need a change in my diet, as I'm tired of my animal product heavy consumption patterns.

25. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i grew up a meat eater, but my gf is vegan so my diet has changed drastically in the past few months. There are so many great substitutions so i don't miss meat much, other than a burger every now and then. I already love veggies and tofu, and i'm lactose intolerant so it was pretty easy. I'm also spoiled because I live in Seattle, and so close to Portland. So many great choices to eat out at.

we recently found a great queso substitute (let thy food brand), although it was 10 bucks a jar. ughhhh. i also discovered i really love falafels.