Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 11

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. chris

Trusted Supporter

HGS is honestly hard to beat lol. That said:

Hungry Tiger, Sweet Hereafter, The Bye and Bye, Black Water - vegan bars with really good menus
    a.n.d brunch @ Off The Griddle - if you're around for bunch
    Papa G's Deli - best tempeh in the city
    Blossoming Lotus - fine(r) dining
    No Bones - not a huge menu but it's a vegan tiki bar which is a very specific theme/funny to me
    Cruz Room - really interesting tacos
    Robo Taco, Los Gorditos - more traditional mexican

Arry likes this.
  2. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

ohhhh haaaale yes. thank you

chris likes this.
  3. chris

Trusted Supporter

yusssss, of course!

4. anthony

those greens look banging

Arry likes this.
  5. anthony

when my vegan students find out im vegan they always want to bring me food. the food is almost always terrible, but i pertend to like it because i believe in sharing food, and i want to encourage them. a girl brought me cookies today, and they were surprisingly good.

6. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

sounds like you need to start an after-school cooking class, teach em the good recipes = free (tasty) food. that'll work, right?

anthony likes this.
  7. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Does anyone ever get shamed for not buying enough veggies when on shopping trips with other vegans? Like, sometimes I want a salad and sometimes I need a break.

8. I’ve had maybe 2 salads this year so far

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

There's so many choices now, it's hard to just get simple and have a salad all the time. It's worse when that friend is a chef tho, it stings.

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I don't do salads very often. More into tacos, pasta, bowls, occasionally wraps

PeacefulOrca and popdisaster00 like this.
  11. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I do a lot of rice and pasta dishes since I also do a lot of higher mileage running. I definitely eat on more of the plant-based/whole foods side of the spectrum. So I tend to mostly buy plants and fruits at the store. I have definitely bought/tried some of the products being mentioned, but I don't necessarily think there is much of a nutritional win in a lot of the dishes/products trying to emulate the non-vegan version. That said, I think all of those products have a place and purpose. If anything, it might help the ethical/environmental side of things. My entry point to veganism was the health/nutritional side, so I am probably different than others in that regard.

12. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

I still buy a ton of veggies, but don't really eat salads. I try to work in spinach or kale and rarely if ever buy lettuce (unless it's for my guinea pig...my cat actually started eating tiny pieces of it too cause the guinea pig made it look interesting).

13. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

Made seitan for the first time yesterday, used this recipe. Thought I'd fucked it up but it ended up turning out really well! Next time I'm gonna use a hell of a lot more seasoning and a lot less vital wheat gluten, I made far too much. I'll be frying it for a lot less time too I think. Still though, hail seitan.

Arry likes this.
  14. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

link doesn't work!

also any suggestions for caesar salad dressing, i'm all ears. i'm trying to find one that's close to the veggie grill dressing. so good.

15. Brokarucci

tofu freaking rules!

16. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I haven’t had meat since the beginning of October 2017 but I’ve had some seafood here and there. Starting today I’m going to try to cut that out too.

sonder likes this.
  17. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

GET IT.

waking season likes this.
  18. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

If any of you guys are in the Maine/NH seacoast area I recommend Heiwa tofu. It’s really firm, holds its shape, and gets crispy if you’re pan frying it.

EarthShifts likes this.
  19. EarthShifts

Trusted

I’m in Mass, but I’ll definitely be on the lookout for this.

20. When a great band stops by your local vegan meat shop

21. chris

Trusted Supporter

Got the Impossible Burger tonight. It was good and def the closest to, if not indistinguishable from the real thing.

That said, $17 is more than I wanna pay for any burger. I got it half off cause a friend was working, but prob not something I’ll go out of my way for

22. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Holy shit, what? The one that comes with 2 patties?

23. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Vegan meat shop? Damn u lucky

popdisaster00 likes this.
  24. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Yassss

[​IMG]

25. chris

Trusted Supporter

nah, I think you're talking about the Beyond Burger, can't buy the impossible burger in stores far as I know, only order it at restaurants that carry it. Impossible Foods

PeacefulOrca likes this.