Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

This is a place to talk about all things vegan, be it dieting, clothing, etc. This is hopefully a place for anyone who has questions to come and gain new knowledge.

I'll talk a little about where I am at to get things started. First of all, I am new to eating plant-based and whole foods. I tended to eat this way before, but had meat with most meals. Every now and then I mixed cheese and eggs into my diet. I am about a couple months in to the lifestyle and I really dig it. I naturally gravitated towards this way by limiting red meats and some other foods. Out of curiosity, I read some books and articles about plant-based/whole foods and that really clicked with me. It's easy and cuts the bullshit out.

The other move I made was cutting down and trying to eliminate processed foods and heavy sugar in-take. I sort of just decided to cut everything out that was bad, but I am not a die hard yet. Starting out you aren't going to be perfect, but you want to consistently improve. I have had four days where I have had meat or something because it was just easier in the given situation. I am not trying to force my lifestyle on anyone, so I am not looking for others to cater to my needs.

That is the abridged version of my story. Hopefully there are others here who want to discuss the lifestyle!

TheWater(s) likes this.
  2. chris

Trusted Supporter

I am, have been for 2(?) years now. Was vegetarian for a year before that. It's cool, I enjoy it. Since moving to Portland it has gotten significantly easier so there's that.

I liked your last bit,normally I don't really care to talk about what I eat with people, I usually like to keep to myself on it. Seriously all the vegans I've met here, it's like all they want to talk about. Like I get its a good jumping off point for two people who don't know one another but like it never seems to go past that idk. Only my personal experience I guess

3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I tried to do this last fall and I eventually caved in, was way more work then I thought it would be. Not dismissing it though, there's some great vegan recipes I still make and would love to try it again.

4. Michael Schmidt May 24, 2016
    (Last edited: May 25, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

I definitely here you on your second paragraph. And by talking about the lifestyle, I was trying to leave it open ended since it was a start to the thread. For me personally, I want to learn what other people do in terms of recipes and different techniques that may help me out since I am still learning my way through it.

I don't really identify with a lot of the vegan community that are in your face about it. I try to use plant based and whole foods when possible. I also want to separate myself from the trendy vegans that aren't really eating healthy. If that's your thing, cool. But don't look down on others that are making personal decisions.

One thing I did before I jumped ship was make a spreadsheet off the top of my head, and eventually googled other foods that fit within protein, starches, grains, nuts, veggies, fruits, meat replacements, and dairy replacements. When you see in front of you what all you are actually eating relative to what you eventually cut out, it becomes a lot easier. Even cutting out the unhealthy vegan foods there is so much out there. You really aren't giving anything up or forced to eat salads every meal like some think.

5. DarkHotline May 24, 2016
    (Last edited: May 24, 2016)
    DarkHotline

Something I took away from being vegan for a time was being shocked at just how many products have animal products in them, especially things you would think wouldn't have any.

PandaBear! and popdisaster00 like this.
  6. Michael Schmidt

Great point! I would say that's the biggest takeaway of trying it out. Reading labels. Even if you stop eating vegan but continue to look at labels and truly know and understand what you are putting in your body, at least you've made an informed decision.

Cutting down on the chemistry and processed foods is probably more important for me right now than whether it's technically vegan. That's part of my progression. I see it as continual education and experimenting.

7. DarkHotline

I honestly wish I could afford a more organic diet, I seriously worry about the chemicals and processed food that I put into myself because that's what I can afford. Being vegan was hard at times but I certainly felt better not eating so much processed foods.

8. I can never go vegan myself, but the thing I like about it is that it seems to bring more healthy food options, which I'm trying to do.

9. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

My people. I try to do a few vegan meals a week. Mostly vegetarian but I love vegan stuff. Biggest reason i do it and my wife does all vegan is global warming and the meat industry is really fucking this planet up

popdisaster00 likes this.
  10. DarkHotline

Anytime I read about how the meat industry pollutes, I get so upset.

11. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Vegan was very difficult. I was vegetarian for 5 years but just could not keep up with the vegan lifestyle. The vegan diet was easy, however it's the every day products with animal by-products (e.g. shampoo / conditioner, toothpaste, general skin care and shaving supplies, etc), not only that but your day to day activities that negatively affect the lives and well being of animals as a whole that you don't even realize you're participating in. It was very stressful and I ended up just going back to being vegetarian - which is hey, better than nothing.

12. Hallowsandhoots

formerly alligator blood Prestigious

I'm vegan and have been for around 6 months. I'm not sure how long i'll stick it through but I don't think i'll ever not be a vegetarian at least.

13. Michael Schmidt May 25, 2016
    (Last edited: May 25, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

John Joseph did a quick write-up about how to do vegan eating at a lower cost that is pretty good. There are definitely some techniques you can do to get those costs down quite a bit. The main caveat though is there is a trade-off in terms of time. The cheapest way to do vegan involves doing more meal prep. But if you are already someone who does most cooking one day a week than you aren't really changing up that much.

Edit: the other thing I'll add is that while I am an advocate for organic foods, eating something plant-based/whole grain is better than not doing it at all. For instance, eating fruits that are lightly sprayed for aesthetics (starting with a 3 or 4 on the bar code or the standard grocery produce) is better than not eating fruit at all, or eating fruit that is genetically modified (starts with an 8). Ideally you would like to get yourself into the nines, which are organic, but it's a progression and sometimes it's not practical.

14. Lauren

Miss America Prestigious

Yes, good! Eating vegan is actually super easy (and healthier) if you're not trying to live on meat analogs and processed products, though the industry is really making great strides with readily-available vegan products. But yeah, whole grains, beans, some soy, produce, nuts/seeds. (Disclaimer: I do occasionally have eggs, but only when we buy them from one of the small family farms down the road, because there's nothing gross going on there.)

I have about a zillion documentary, book, and cookbook recommendations (and recipes) I can give if anyone's interested.

15. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

hi. I am interested in documentaries pls

16. I've been vegetarian for nine years (though I admit I've eaten some meat on rare occasions during that time), but I don't think I could ever be vegan. Eggs and dairy are a huge part of my diet, which I know isn't great health-wise and animal cruelty-wise.

17. I have thought about going vegetarian. It's really never been easier to do so. Currently I just try my best to get my meat and eggs from trusted sources at farmer's markets.

scott likes this.
  18. It honestly is very easy. Almost every restaurant has a vegetarian option, or will accommodate you by removing meat from a menu item even if they don't have a vegetarian option. And meat substitutes have gotten really tasty imo, I love the soy turkey slices for sandwiches.

19. There is a vegan butcher shop in Minneapolis that is pretty awesome: The Herbivorous Butcher

scott likes this.
  20. Michael Schmidt

21. Lauren

Miss America Prestigious

The essentials:

Best overall plant-based diet doc: Forks Over Knives
    Will make you cry and hate humans, but necessary viewing: Earthlings
    Will make you mad af at corporate America and terrified for the environment: Cowspiracy
    The diet industry sucks: Hungry For Change
    The processed food industry sucks: Fed Up

22. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Seen three of these but I will watch the others!

Lauren likes this.
  23. chris

Trusted Supporter

By this logic I think there are a lot of vegans out there that would argue that I'm not at all. But like, I'd go broke buying all cruelty-free toiletries and cleaning supplies.

24. Michael Schmidt

Definitely man. My focus is on food right now. I am trying to get my food right. As I get more educated and acclimated, I will probably look into some of the other areas. To be completely vegan in all aspects is a chore. It's something that is a slow, gradual progression.

25. MereReplication

I've been a vegatarian for about four years now. I'm mostly a vegan at home and for lunches I bring to work, but I compromise a little and eat vegetarian socially. Here's one thing I've learned:

I'm sure you've all heard the joke that goes, "How do you know if someone's vegan? Don't worry--they'll tell you." Well, it's wrong. This is the correct form of the joke:

How do you know if someone's vegan/vegetarian? Don't worry--any omnivore who knows the vegan/vegetarian will make sure to announce it to anyone in the near vicinity at every meal.

Honestly, the hardest part about being a vegetarian/borderline vegan (at least for me) is dealing with other people. The diet/clothing/etc. is the easier half.

Oh, but I did find out like two days ago that dryer sheets contain animal fat. What the fuck.

jmitch0906 likes this.