Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Us (Jordan Peele, March 22, 2019) Movie • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, May 8, 2018.

1. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

False

2. radiodead

Trusted

Lol.

Get Out is great. Us is great.

Contender, soggytime and Aaron Mook like this.
  3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Get Out is great

incognitojones likes this.
  4. They're both great!

Contender, imthesheriff and soggytime like this.
  5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

One was good one was okay?

6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Get Out is in GOAT discussion. Us is great but unfairly compared to Get Out IMO, which leads people to say it's not as good as it was.

7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Us was flawed but I love that he just went for it.

8. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I’ve rewatched Us more than Get Out at this point.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Us was good minus the Twilight Zone twist and the ableism

10. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Agreed. I think get out is the better film but I’ve watched us more

11. Lucas27

Trusted

If you think Us is bad, then you can just Get Out.

12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Get Out is an instant classic horror movie, I don't expect Peele to ever top it even though I liked this movie a lot too

TSLROCKS likes this.
  13. I've come to realize that a lot of times in art, I value ambition over execution. That's a broad statement for sure -- the work has to be executed competently -- but I'm largely willing to overlook flaws if I connect with the themes and ambition presented by the artist. That's why I love Us for what it is. Sprawling, flawed, and exactly what Peele wanted to do. I didn't need another Get Out.

FTank, Lucas27, imthesheriff and 2 others like this.
  14. radiodead

Trusted

I agree. The flaws are besides the point. It’s clearly allegorical. I don’t need the tunnel thing to “work”. It’s ambitious and fun and has incredible performances. Blends comedy and horror so well, again.

FTank, Lucas27, imthesheriff and 3 others like this.
  15. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

And it gave us this incredible shot that blew me away the second it came across the screen

16. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Us is a beautifully shot movie with an interesting premise that tries to connect too many ideas and falls short in execution, especially toward the end

Really he just explained too much, if he showed less and kept it mysterious the movie would have worked better and just been creepy and weird. But with the tunnel stuff, the hands across America stuff especially, the dancing stuff that didn't make sense at all, the fight sequence where rules existed but only mattered sometimes, it ended up being a mess.

Get Out worked so well because it was so simple, both of these movies are highly metaphorical but Us mixed like five metaphors together instead of executing one to perfection.

I've fought about this movie way too much

17. radiodead

Trusted

My only major eye roll moment in US was the very Bond villain explanation scene. That was unnecessary.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

19. Yesss. Just watched his episode of the 2019 season of The Twilight Zone and loved it. Great pairing.

20. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

The heidecker / moss family scene in Us makes it worth it

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

So I’m confused how many movies is Peele working on?

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this is the only one he's directing, he and Key and Peele starred in and wrote the new movie from the guy who did Coraline and he produced Candyman and The People Under The Stairs , I think he's producing a bunch of stuff which gets confusing

Cameron likes this.
  23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Gotcha thanks

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

After rewatching Nope and now this (I’m familiar enough with Get Out at this point), this one is definitely a step down; doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy some elements, but weaker than the rest of his filmography for sure.