Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Us (Jordan Peele, March 22, 2019) Movie • Page 20

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, May 8, 2018.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Knew they’d post this one eventually, favorite shot in the movie.

2. RyanRyan

I’m still scowling that this isn’t available in Japan yet. It came out in cinemas the day I moved from the UK to here. Sighhhhhhhh. Dying to see it.

3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

FInally saw this. Haven't read anything than the reactions to this thread, so this is my theory....

I don't think Peele worried about making the story "make sense" too much because I think at the end of the day this movie was all about the "message". It's all about class (social/economic) IMO. To me, the message was that there's an entire underclass that people just don't even know exists because they're so far "beneath them" and are too caught up in their own lives to care.

Some people said they didn't understand why the family wasn't freaking out after they killed the white family's tethered, and I think that goes back to the idea of the upper class not wanting to care about the underclass existing. As long as they're not making life harder for you, it's all good. So once those tethered are killed and no longer a threat, they go back to living their lives without a worry in the world. It's how the haves treat the have-nots. Out of sight, out of mind.

Adelaide is a good look at this message too. She's slightly more worried about the threat than everyone else because she's been there before. She knows what they're capable of. But her experience as one of them doesn't give her any sympathy towards them or their situation---in fact, she's even more ruthless in wanting to kill them than the rest of her family seems to be. An allusion to how/why poor people that "make it out" aren't any better than the already rich/middle class in helping out the poor.

I'm bad at articulating what I mean but hopefully that makes sense. Now to do some internet worm hole'ing!

4. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh! And the "control" thing was meant to be representative of a class warfare type thing...."they" (they being the government and the rich elite) created the tethered to "Control" everyone, make them "puppets".....just as the rich elite tend to pit groups of poor and working poor and middle class against each other as a form of "control"---the much more numerous workers never actually come after the elite and super wealthy because they're too busy fighting and blaming each other for problems. That allows them to exert control over the population.

5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

lol reading through the thread again and this is spot on. It literally felt like that's what he was told.

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. Out on digital today.

Aaron Mook, RyanRyan and dash64 like this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Hulu has begun playing a commercial for Us and every time I hear the music it's just instant feeling of dread. I'll be like oh there's Linda cardellini bouncing around on ER and then SHRILL TERRIFYING MUSIC

9. RyanRyan

Still haven’t bloody seen this. I put money on my account using US Amazon, but all of a sudden (despite multiple purchases with my UK deets) it won’t allow for international payment methods. So I’m sat with 20 dollars on my US account that I can’t use on Us. Damn it.

10. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

ghostedaway likes this.
  11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

12. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Ok so I finally saw this and I don’t know why I nitpicked so much... usually I just take movies for what they are.

First of all, I immediately called the twist.

13. Night Channels

Trusted

You should be a detective

14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Has anyone given this a repeat viewing? How do people think this holds up?

15. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

seen it three times now and it holds up extremely well. I like it more and more each viewing.

16. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah rewatched it like three times as well after it was added to HBO. Still great

17. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

I’ve watched it numerous of times and it still is so good.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Good film

19. Yep, still rules. Love films that are this ambitious, even if not everything adds up or lands exactly as it should

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yup. It really gets messy even on re watch with the reveal, and later explanation of the teathered.

Though Jordan made a interesting follow up to the very popular Get Out.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I do enjoy the movie but some of it just doesn’t add up for me. Like wouldn’t she still be tethered to Red above ground? Well I guess that’s how she knew it was close right? But I don’t remember if they explained what stopped her from leaving? What about teaching the others to talk?

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  22. incognitojones Jan 11, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2020)
    incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

or the teaching others to sew elaborate red costumes and weld scissors and live with no problems with only rabbits as a source of food? Also having a separate, inexplicable ballet explanation for why the tethered followed Red as opposed to "she's not a tethered she's a human" in order to prolong the already obvious reveal.

Movie is fun and well shot but there are so so so many major flaws with the core elements of how the world works that never get explained. Too many ideas that clash instead of a simpler one that makes sense like in Get Out, makes it very unsatisfying. And their end game is to just murder then hold hands like a tshirt from the 80's for some reason? So stupid. I'm mad all over again.

Taketimeandfind and yung_ting like this.
  23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

The longer I sit on this the more I think it’s pretty bad

24. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah I watched again last night and the allure was lost on me this time and I had much bigger issued

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  25. Kuri44

It was still enjoyable on rewatch but I still don’t like the twist.

It’s not like she switched places when she was a baby, so when the families first meet in the house, instead of telling the story about the tethered bs, I would’ve just started calling the mom out like “when I was younger, this chick swtiched places and has been pretending to be me for all these years”