Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Us (Jordan Peele, March 22, 2019) Movie • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, May 8, 2018.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Can we talk about how rad the Monkey Paw production title card is? I loved it.

2. tdlyon Mar 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2019)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Saw this tonight and I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

So... it definitely doesn't touch Get Out, I'll get that out of the way right now. First, what I immediately loved was the cinematography and the performances, especially from Lupita N'yongo, she was incredible. The final fight scene with them kind of dancing was also absolutely amazing

However, I honestly did find myself pretty underwhelmed for most of the viewing and immediately afterwards. I really didn't feel any sort of suspense or thrill at all besides the very first appearance of the Tethered. Were we supposed to be scared during the whole part with Tim's family's house? It honestly felt straight out of a comedy to me for the most part, and I can't tell if it's because I primarily know him as a comedian but Tim's tethered was way too funny and not at all intimidating, and the twins like cartwheeling around was pretty dumb, although Elisabeth Moss's performances as hers was great. I really thought those characters were going to be a bigger part of the movie. I really don't like when movies rely on jump scares but I almost feel like this movie could have used a couple, there were a ton of scenes that built up a ton of tension but then had basically no payoff. I also guessed the twist about 10 minutes into the movie, and I was hoping I was wrong because it made certain plot elements not really make that much sense

I know this sounds like a pretty negative post but once I got home and thought about the deeper meanings more and read more theories online most of it somehow clicked for me. Again, it's not nearly as clever as Get Out imo but there was a ton of stuff that I read that made the movie a lot better for me in retrospect. I definitely feel like this almost requires a second viewing to really get, and I plan on it. Like I said, the cast is great, the story, while not without its flaws, is really creative and fun to watch, and I really enjoyed the humor and action for the most part, I just thought pretty much all of the suspense/thrills fell really flat

3. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

for anyone who reads/gets Fangoria, there is an excellent interview by Paul Thomas Anderson with Peele about 'Us' and all things movies. they apparently have a bit of a bromance going (I remember PTA talking up 'Get Out' when he was filming 'Phantom Thread').

As for the film, the more I think about it the more I really adore it, so much to like.

Cameron and ChaseTx like this.
  4. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

do you have a link to a scan of it??

5. jbaseball44

a friend of mine, who is a horror junkie, gets it so I read it a few days ago when I was at his place. I'll get him to send me some pics of the whole interview and post it in here

6. angel paste

that would be so dope thank you!

7. angel paste

i could only find a clip of PTA praising “Southbound” which is very strange to me and i want to read more lol

8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

The scene at the friends' house was the one thing I was conflicted about in the movie. There was definitely more comedy in that scene than horror, which felt weird after the tension of the scene they just escaped from. And when all the tethered there are killed they're just kicking back joking around when they should be horrified

9. jbaseball44

yeah i think there's a sort of "dont post it" thing with the interview on twitter right now, the only other pics I could find from the interview on there were these two. hopefully ill have the whole thing by the end of the day
    Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.24.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 10.24.47 AM.png

Rowan5215 and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Peele telling PTA to watch A Tale of Two Sisters is my favorite thing for the day.

11. jbaseball44

so awesome. cant remember the exact quote but I remember PTA saying something about how when he was filming Phantom Thread and felt like it wasn't working early on, felt isolated/away from home and was really down, then he saw Get Out and it resonated with him/gave him inspiration/made him feel close to home again

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  12. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

A bromance I never even imagined possible in the first place, I'm delighted to hear it exists. Have to read this interview.

13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was great. I'm having a similar reaction that I had to Get Out where I'm not blown away initially, but the more I think about it, the more and more I like it.

I haven't read any theories on what it all means, but to me, it was commenting on how we want oppressed groups to be out of sight out of mind, but still, we want to them to conform and behave the same as everyone else (just without any of the benefits and easy living). But then we are surprised and horrified when these groups revolt against us and wonder why it's happening (I looked up Jeremiah 11:11 afterward and it seems similar to this idea). While I think the metaphor could work without the twist (and it does seem a little clunky), I think it ultimately helps drive the point home. Addie is the one who captured and forced her doppelganger underground and eventually, she came back and revolted.

The twist kind of screws with my head, because I spent the whole movie rooting for our main characters and then realized they might be the bad guys haha.

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the Alexa stuff and Tim's voice were def funny, for me personally I felt like you were supposed to hate those assholes so it wasn't as sad when they died

tdlyon likes this.
  16. RyanRyan

Haven’t seen it yet, was dying to but doesn’t look like it’ll even get released in Japan. Sigh. Was really looking forward to it!

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Oh yeah it totally works as a more comedic scene, my problem with it is that I genuinely couldn't tell if that was the intention of that entire sequence (so like a good 10-15 minutes of the movie) or if we were supposed to be like on the edge of our seats. Tonally it just felt way too different from the rest of the movie, though I would be lying if I said that Tim's "too slow" won't be one of my favorite movie moments of the year

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I had a nightmare that Red was chasing me with the scissors but I was also aware that it should have been my own Tethered

oncenowagain likes this.
  19. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Saw this in the afternoon with my wife and we loved it. Not even mad that there appeared to be conflicting logic in the world Peele built because the grey area (whether intentional or not) gave my wife and I plenty to talk about afterwards, which is one of my favorite things about seeing movies with her. We just kept building on the premise and recounting certain scenes to point out how the pieces fit and theorizing as to how some of the seemingly incompatible things could be explained to fit. Overall, made for a great afternoon that has spurred plenty of conversation that has carried on well past the end time for the movie.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

chewbacca110 and jordalsh like this.
  21. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

22. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Best post :fire:

24. idk, I think I'm totally on board with the tonal shifts and it not making perfect sense and leaving lots of questions unanswered:shrug:

Anthony_ likes this.
  25. Saw this on Friday, haven’t really explored this thread much though. I liked it a lot. Probably not as much as Get Out but still a really good, original film. I support Jordan Peele 100%