Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Us (Jordan Peele, March 22, 2019) Movie • Page 18

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, May 8, 2018.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

smowashere, Fucking Dustin and Shrek like this.
  2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Whoaaa

Shrek likes this.
  3. eight30

Regular

I had the thought that Lupita was switched more than once. Just by Moss' question about if she wished she still danced and she mentioned something about it stopping at 14. Nothing else really supports this theory, you know with the plotting to take over kinda thing but it seemed like an intentional piece of dialog.

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

hes half tethered, they never switch. That’d make even less sense than the switch we know about.[\spoiler]

5. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I took it as Adelaide quit dancing at 14 because that’s when Red quit dancing down below. Her dance led the other tethered to realize, for whatever reason, that she was different and unbound. From that moment on they made her their de facto leader and she began her revolution. That’s why, above ground, Adelaide quit dancing and began living in fear ever since. She was still tethered to Red in some way and could feel her planning to get closer.

eight30 likes this.
  6. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

And yeah the Jason/Pluto theory doesn’t make any sense to me for multiple reasons. The theory suggests that the people above ground are controlled by those below because that’s what the original experiment was intended for. It makes no sense and throws the logic of the film itself out the window because we are told flat out that the experiment failed and the tethered below ground were abandoned to be soulless automatons mirroring every movement made by their counterparts above. That’s why when Gabe adjusts his glasses Abraham reaches to do the same even though he’s not wearing any. To suggest otherwise flies in the face of the film’s presented logic. They also theorize that Jason is having trouble communicating and that’s more proof of him being a tethered. Problem there is his language skills are still exceedingly strong for a tethered who would have been recently switched, and furthermore my understanding of his communication skills is twofold. 1.) Jason, as incognitojones said above, is a half-tethered and that may be contributing to his language issues on top of being an awkward pre-teen and 2.) if he is half-tethered then he may feel some of what Pluto feels. This could potentially mean that Jason’s struggles with awkward communication skills presented themselves right around the same time Pluto burned his face down below.

7. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

definitely gonna have to watch this again not in the theatre, people in front of me laughed so loudly the moment red started talking.

that is definitely not the mood of that scene lol

Zilla, Aaron Mook and imthesheriff like this.
  8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

“This summer...Sterling K. Brown stars as a deranged prosecutor who ruthlessly murders a woman and her lover, then abuses the power of the state to frame it all on a harmless, unassuming retired athlete.”

9. ChaseTx Mar 27, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 28, 2019)
    ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Saw it today and I still need to parse the thematic aspects of it, but overall I loved it. Peele has a great eye for shots (the frisbee on the towel) and makes a lot of visuals that stick with you. I'm super excited to watch his career progress.

The cast was amazing. When Red first appeared I wasn't even sure it was Nyong'o because of how different her facial expressions were. And that final fight sequence

I thought the tone in the middle of the movie was a little odd, after they fight off the tethered versions of Josh and Kitty's family. Like they should be horrified but they're joking around kinda

The score was great. I loved the musical cues signaling the ends of acts 1 and 2, and then if course the required version of I Got Five On It

Yeah anyway great movie

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Reminds me of when I saw Hereditary and the people next to me kept laughing at Peter crying

I saw this one in an empty theatre at lunchtime today haha

oncenowagain and Aaron Mook like this.
  11. brothemighty

Trusted

People suck so bad

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

the top view scene in the beach where you see the family walking with their shadows. that was so good

13. saw this last night and really loved it. I want to see it again

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I loved the audiences vibe for Get Out but might not be for this movie. Might try to see this midday on a Saturday or Sunday

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s just so much fundamentally weirder than Get Out that I’m not surprised audiences are having very different reactions to it.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I was saying from my perspective; I was ok with the audience talking and laughing and having a blast with the movie for Get Out because it has more of a campy thriller vibe. Us seems more horror, and hearing that throughout the movie would frustrate me

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This has a lot of camp and humor as well, but it isn’t integrated in quite as seamless a way so there are definitely times when a serious scene is getting laughs because people are missing the tone. It also kind of asks you to go along with the horror in some ways so if you aren’t on board some parts may just not land as scary.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned but I thought might be an easter egg: Jason is wearing a white tux shirt for the second half of the movie and his weapon of choice is a statue that sort of resembles an Oscar or an award. I think that is a callback to the white tux Peele wore when he won his Oscar.

mad likes this.
  20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This is galaxy-brain stuff but it may in fact be true because it's too much of a coincidence to not be lol

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

EASheartsVinyl and chewbacca110 like this.
  22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

23. drewinseries

Drew

I'm definitely seeing this alone early on a sat or sunday. Get Out was packed and it was wild, but I'm hearing this is scarier? I didn't think Get Out was scary in the least bit, but it was super funny and a fun theater experience.

24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t find it scarier, but it is much more clearly horror. The implications are frightening like Get Out, but some scenes in Get Out scared me a lot more.

drewinseries likes this.
  25. drewinseries

Drew

Interesting.