Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Updated Recommendation Posts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I might be the only person that prefers Cat’s Cradle over Slaughter House Five. And I like your favorite comics as well. I’m adding some of those albums to my Apple Music library. There are some that I’ve heard of, but have never listened to.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. xapplexpiex likes this.
  4. dorfmac

Trusted

c'mon man, zebra pens? pilot g2s are the perfect pen. gotta trust a teacher on this one

5. I hate rubber grips. The feel makes my skin crawl.

6. ARX39

Newbie Prestigious

@Jason Tate Whoa! You dropped OmniFocus. How/why did you make the switch to Things?

7. Pooch

Regular

check out The Expanse on Amazon. surpasses BSG for best scifi show ever.

8. I watched the first few episodes, but I didn't love it since I knew what was going to happen (I've read the books) and the CG wasn't grabbing me, so I stopped. I'll give it another shot at some point.

9. Jason Tate Jul 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 10, 2018)
    Haha, I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. Good eye!

Yeah, a few months ago when Omnifocus released 3.0 of their iOS apps, but didn't release them with feature parity on the Mac, I got that "itch" to reevaluate my entire system. I bought the new version and started playing around with it and I realized so much of what I was doing was getting in my way of what I wanted to do: get things done. So as I started streamlining the entire process I realized there was already an app that did basically what I was creating. And it was built to do it that way from the start ... and it looked better and was way less cluttered. So, I decided to make the switch for a month and see what happened. I set everything up and used it for a month. It simplified everything and I immediately saw an uptick in completing projects, finding stalled projects, and being able to better plan out my day and week. The way Things uses the Today section, and how it's organized, is exactly what I was looking for and what I was basically hacking together with Omnifocus.

Combine a better system, with a better looking app, with feature parity across the entire line, and it really made the most sense for me. To go from having 5-6 different custom perspectives, which I wasn't actually using very often, or checking, to a streamlined Today/Anytime/Someday system ... really made everything click. Combining this with a project/area streamlining and it just felt like I went from feeling like I was always managing my task manager ... to doing tasks.

[​IMG]

Tags work with me, not against me, and I can use it all on the Mac.

So, yeah, it was time. This review also had been sitting in the back of my mind:
    Things doesn’t make you jump through hoops, or follow a logic tree to set about doing things with tasks. At it’s most basic level, it’s like telling a personal assistant to remind you to do something. You simply would not tell him “remind me to take out the steaks at 7pm” — who does that? You’d say later, this evening, or someday. Things gets that.

While the app immediately clicked, and was at once dead simple to get started in, it’s taken me quite a while to realize what actually makes it so good. It was simply designed with the understanding that real people are going to be using it for real life.
    And I couldn't help but think this was me as well.

ARX39 likes this.
  10. Pooch

Regular

It really hits its stride in season 2 and turns into a juggernaut. It's worthy of the books and the changes they make are all logical. Although, Amos is totally miscast, the actor makes it his own. I still want a chubby, middle-aged bald killing machine though.

11. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I see you like Star Trek: The Next Generation and BSG. Have you seen Star Trek: Deep Space 9? Ronald D. Moore wrote and produced most of it as well. It follows the Bajorn and Cardassian war that was briefly featured in TNG. O’Brian is a regular cast member and Worf becomes one too in season 5. It’s has more of a continuing story like BSG has and a lot of the same themes and plot points. Sorry if you already know this. I’m on season 5 now and am realizing the similarities it has to BSG.