Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unsane (Steven Soderbergh, March 23,2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 22, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jan 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Very curious about this. I cooled on Logan Lucky majorly, but it wasn’t Soderbergh working in my favorite mode of his. I am definitely here for a horror film.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jan 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 29, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

[​IMG]

4. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Looks potentially ok.

5. Trailer didn't do too much for me, but I'm still interested.

6. That trailer gave me a fair amount of anxiety, but this looks good and I’m excited to see it

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  7. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

yeah, soderbergh doing genre-work is enough to draw me in

8. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

It's insane that someone like Soderbergh can make a movie this unredeemably bad. Jay Pharoah was fun but god this was so unenjoyable and ugly.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I haven’t felt this tense and claustrophobic in a theater in awhile. I think the iPhone cinematography is a big part of that.

10. TedSchmosby

Trusted

The first half was good but the second half was bad in such a way that I'm convinced the first half wasn't actually good at all

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  11. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Blahhhhh. The lead’s performance was the only good thing about this.

12. SteveLikesMusic

Was in awe of how bad the final moments were. Almost laughed out loud when the credits appeared.

13. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

yeah, this kinda sucked. always love soderbergh but damn, among his worst.

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Sawyer reminded me of Piper Chapman at times
    I can't get over how great a name Sawyer Valentini is , it could be the name of so many things (a CBS procedural detective character's name, the protagonist of a YA novel, the star of a Disney Channel show, a teen pop star, a Youtube vlogger, some overlap with the last 3)
    I liked this more than y'all, Soderbergh is such a hard director to pin down but I completely forgot this was shot on a IPhone and I'm impressed that he was able to pull it off

I'm surprised how excited I was by the surprise Matt Damon cameo, like lately he's said a bunch of dumb things but I guess on some level I still like him

David's vibe was really hard to get down also how the hell did he find her and forge credentials in a mental hospital in like 4 days

Nathan likes this.
  15. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This movie really understood and dramatized how unfair and desperate and traumatic it is to lose so much of your agency to something you couldn’t control. She was just living her life, as women do, and a man idealized and attached himself to her in a way she didn’t consent to, and she lost so much of herself to that. The Matt Damon scene was expert, how rapid fire and deadpan his delivery was as he listed all the ways she had to change her behavior down to the smallest details when she did absolutely nothing but still had to go through it all. The iPhone cinematography was actually really effective at making everything feel so despondant and hopeless. Pharoah’s performance was excellent, the one glimpse of warmth in a movie devoid of it otherwise.

Plus that scene where she dresses David down in solitary confinement was worth price of admission alone.

aoftbsten and supernovagirl like this.
  16. SteveLikesMusic

Agree on those positive elements.

17. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

man it's unfortunate that there's so much hate about this. It looked right up my alley and I really wanted to see it. I'll still probably see it but I probably won't pay to see it in theaters, since I've heard such negative things.
    I can't believe it was all shot on an iphone though.

18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I was pretty stoked to check this out, but now I'm kinda lukewarm based on a lot of the comments. Will still go see it since I have MoviePass, but I'm not sure if I'll see it today or push it back until I catch up on other stuff.

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was really into this for the first third or so when there's still a question of "is she telling the truth or is she actually insane?". But then when we see the stalker at the mom's hotel room and it's confirmed it got far less intriguing. It picks up a little bit again when Jay Pharoh's character gets taken. But I lost all sympathy for Sawyer when she uses the mentally unstable girl to escape.
    I will say shooting this on an iPhone worked for me. Like others have said it creates a claustrophobic vibe and a feeling like it's something the audience wasn't meant to see like you're actually watching footage the stalker filmed.

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'm really surprised by some of the negative reactions. I just watched this tonight and absolutely loved it! I can't remember the last time I felt so tense watching a movie.