Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unreleased Sufjan Stevens Apparently Found in Dumpster

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Apparently an unreleased Sufjan Stevens album was found in a Brooklyn dumpster. Michelle Geslani, writing for Consequence of Sound:

“I used to work next door to Sufjan’s studio in Brooklyn,” an anonymous poster recounted on Reddit yesterday. “One day, while he was renovating the place, he threw a bunch of stuff into the building’s dumpster. I salvaged this…as far as I know, I don’t think it’s ever been released.”

And from an interview with the album’s finder, via Stereogum:

I deleted the Reddit post because I felt awful about sharing the album after Asthmatic Kitty’s spokesperson kindly asked me not to. That was definitely a misstep on my part. I should have respected his wishes. On the other hand…this is trash we’re talking about. Publicly available trash. I didn’t Frankenstein the album together; it was right there, perfectly intact, complete with a clean-cut square of album art and a track listing. After discovering that it was never released, and reading the desperation from Sufjan fans who really wanted to hear this little piece of his history, I decided it best to allow Stalker to live through the self-multiplying preservationists that make the internet what it is. The alternative was a sad, quiet death for an album that I think shows a wonderfully playful side of Sufjan’s early career.

2. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

If its true, I think it's pretty careless for him to toss an entire album in a dumpster, for anyone to potentially take and upload online. I like Sufjan, but he could have destroyed it if he wanted to.

3. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Something about the phrase "publicly available trash" does not sit well with me.

Dan O'Neill and FTank like this.
  4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This whole thing is just crazy.

5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I feel like as an artist it must suck to lose control of your discography like this but I agree if Sufjan wanted to, he could've destroyed it properly. That said, I doubt he's the one cleaning out his studio and he may not have known at all. This is definitely a weird situation though.

6. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Do we know for sure this isn't some new kind of attempt at viral marketing?

'Cause I will say I don't give a shit about Sufjan Stevens' music but I am very interested in hearing this.

7. Eric

Regular

Haha same. I'm a sucker for this stuff

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

omg skimming the title I thought Sufjan died or something and was found in a dumpster!!! I immediately re-read it tho cause what a flippant title if that was the situation lol /csb

9. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

i almost did the same thing. hell, just miss the first word of the release and that's exactly what it would mean.

@Jason Tate @Melody Bot is it possible to add "album" to headline just so others who can't read like @Kiana and i don't freak out as well haha

10. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

In my criminal procedure class, we read a case where a warrant was granted due to trash. The police coordinated with the garbage company who picked up the trash and brought it to a place where the police took it and rummaged through finding dug debris and paraphernalia. Using that they were granted a warrant to search the house. The defendant brought up going through the trash and the court found that trash wasn't protected under privacy. Anything thrown out is no longer your property. They could have even taken the trash straight from the lawn but they did it that way so the defendant wouldn't know what was going on until the warrant was issued. That's why places like GameStop, when they are throwing out games and strategy guides, will scratch the discs and rip up the guides since it's not theft to take the items from the trash and to deter dumpster diving. It's like they say, one man's trash is another's treasure so definitely be careful of what you throw out. I'm surprised the album was just thrown out without being destroyed first just in case.

11. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

lol I mis-read titles all the time cause I just skim the articles section. Who has time to read thoroughly??!

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Ellite25

Regular

Same I was like wtf?!? Glad I read it wrong lol

13. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

That said, copyright abandonment works a bit differently.

http://lawcatalog.com/FilesUploaded/product/SampleFiles/ljp_694PublicDomain.pdf

14. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I read "unreleased" as "unconscious" and FREAKED OUT

15. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's a weird story, and the album would be supposed to be titled "Stalker"? ;p it doesn't sound too good as well, I've checked it out out of curiosity of course, but then I won't keep it anywhere.

16. Ska Senanake

Trusted

You should give a shit about his music. It's truly fantastic. Especially Carrie & Lowell.

17. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

18. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

Scandalous- Love this stuff too. I'd be super interested to see hear this lost cd.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Came in here to make sure I wasn't the only one. I definitely missed the first word when reading it the first time.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

After all you people mentioned that, I cant unread it haha

21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Its on YouTube, it doesn't sound very good either ha

22. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

so is the guy who released it going to be sued

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Is there any way of knowing who it was? Beyond that, I still doubt it.