Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 703

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

I still think that, like Poppy, 100 gecs are a joke band who lots of people took seriously and now they have to keep the whole charade going.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think Poppy WAS somewhat of a joke, but it was on purpose, she was obviously a character doing a thing... but the latest album definitely is actually her, after leaving her abusive relationship and everything, current Poppy isn't a joke in any way, not is it really connected to old Poppy

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I could see thinking Poppy is a joke if you hear a single or two off the album but something like Don’t Go Outside is definitely not a joke

4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I had no idea what this gecs thing was and now I know. Reminds me of brokencyde level of bad

amorningofsleep and 333 GANG like this.
  5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

A little late, but Avril has one excellent album and then a bunch of uneven ones I wish were more like it.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. atlas

Trusted

gecs are so much catchier and better than Brokencyde that I'm not even sure it's quantifiable. I have never heard a crowd sing any song by any band as loudly as they did at the show I went to

Wharf Rat, SpyKi and Leftandleaving like this.
  7. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

yea that shits nowhwere near as bad as brokencyde no question. still a bit out there for me lol but scene revival kids reclaiming pickup trucks from country is pretty punk tbh

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

this is how Trump became president

Zilla, Aregala, Wharf Rat and 2 others like this.
  9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I’m not enamored by gecs but I like gecs

10. cherrywaves

Trusted

The Lucky Moose and irthesteve like this.
  11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Oh my god what the fuck take this thread crush it up

Wharf Rat and atlas like this.
  12. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

100 Gecs look like a mix of the kids from Children of the Corn and Village of the Damned

13. trevorshmevor Feb 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2020)
    Idk I love an artist that likes to have fun with their music/let loose & not take things too seriously. And that’s clearly the whole gecs schtick. But the record is so over the top erratic that it totally loses that feeling for me and comes off more like a weirdly contrived gimmick instead. There’s just nothing interesting to me about a record that’s trying so hard to ~do it all~ as much as theirs does

That the music itself is grating to me is a separate thing. But if they’re the singular band that renders me out of touch at 30 years old then I’m totally at peace w that haha. Glad it resonates elsewhere cause they seem like cool people, plus trans visibility

coleslawed, SlappinCups, mad and 3 others like this.
  14. irthesteve

You can't discredit the comparison though when the band themselves have admitted they are inspired by 3oh3, breathe Carolina, I see stars and other shit bands like them.

15. atlas

Trusted

none of those bands are even close to as bad as Brokencyde either

16. atlas

Trusted

since apparently no one in this thread knows what Brokencyde actually sounds like: it's worse than you think

17. irthesteve

They are all that bad, I can't believe this thread is about to dispute the merit of any of these bands

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

They’re both bad

19. If you told me that was a 100 gecs song but from 2008 I think I’d believe you

coleslawed and irthesteve like this.
  20. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

irthesteve likes this.
  21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’d somehow made it to 27 without hearing them, I wish I could go back to that

coleslawed and irthesteve like this.
  22. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

23. atlas

Trusted

I'm not engaging any further with 100 gecs = Brokencyde people. that is a Fox News level bad faith argument

can we go back to talking about Chevelle

Wharf Rat likes this.
  24. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Send the Pain Below stole the riff from Be Quiet and Drive.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. atlas

Trusted

Stealing from Deftones doesn’t even count as stealing because so many bands have done it

phaynes12 and LightWithoutHeat like this.