Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 695

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Daddy by Korn legitimately is one of the most important and cathartic songs I’ve ever heard as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse tho, no cap

2. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Mineral is good but every time I listen to them I wish I was listening to Sunny Day Real Estate

Mary V and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  3. Not counting Deftones, Sevendust are the best band to come out of the nu metal bubble

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. nohandstoholdonto

I would describe Mineral as thoroughly boring

waking season and phaynes12 like this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wrong, chevelle and slipknot

6. phaynes12

honestly the only thing i’m proud of on this website is getting more people to listen to chevelle

7. I can't get into all that emo/midwest/twinkly stuff anymore. Back in 2010/2011, I used to listen to every release of that realm, as the genre was in its revival phase. But coming back to them a while back, I thought most of them blended together, to the point the characteristics of the genre started feeling like gimmicks to me (those damned identical open tuning riffs, ENOUGH). There are a few bands that have stayed with me all this time though.

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

agreed, mostly bc I don’t care for the mathy stuff. still love empire empire, etc

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  9. Idk why but I never considered Chevelle as part of that scene. But I got into them waaaay later so that's all on me

10. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Chevelle has hits

phaynes12 likes this.
  11. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

12. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The revival was fun for a few months but has then disappeared completely up its own ass

waking season likes this.
  13. Might be hard to believe, but I'm not sure I even gave this band a listen. I remember an album getting a lot of hype on ap.net.

On the top off my head, I still can jam to You Blew It!, This Town Needs Gun, and Six Gallery. I was also thinking of Into It Over It, but he has basically disappeared since being part of a problematic situation right? Vague I know, but I don't remember the details and Google isn't helpful right now

14. Leftandleaving

EE is 100% worth a listen, but I’ve never even heard of six gallery haha. IIOI did some shady stuff to a woman who accused his manager of assault iirc

15. atlas

Trusted

I only ever click on this thread when I'm bored but whenever I do I'm always within 5 posts of something about Chevelle

16. nohandstoholdonto

If your band has tappy guitar parts there’s a 90% chance I think your music is total bullshit

Mary V and Wharf Rat like this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

One of the few redeeming things about the thread

18. Six Gallery were great and sadly short lived

Ha right, it looks like the last time he was posted on the front page was about this. Reading the thread... and yikes, that's worse than I remember

cshadows2887 and Leftandleaving like this.
  19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Checks out. I’ll agree on bands like Chon, I just don’t get them.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  20. Leftandleaving

I like this a lot more than most of this style - thanks for the rec

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  21. I don't mind tappy guitar parts if the songs implementing them are dynamic and engaging without constantly relying on them. Minus The Bear did it well in their early days.

I also love Little Tybee, a folk/indie pop band whose lead guitarist, despite his technical skills, often puts them in the background. It makes them feel less showy.

22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

An unpopular opinion of mine is that “The Rising Tide” is the only Sunny Day Real Estate album that is good and it’s incredible. Don’t care for their other albums.

23. phaynes12

my influence

24. phaynes12

tapping guitar parts are only good when you’re gojira

25. phaynes12

if you’re writing a guitar part ask yourself a) would jerry garcia do this? the answer is always almost a no, so then ask yourself b) would kirk hammett do this? if it’s still a no, don’t tap it