Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 681

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

For some reason I REALLY liked the album The Greatest Generation by The Wonder Years but other than that, the most recent pop-punk band that I've been able to get into is All Time Low lol

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I feel this way about Wonder Years. That album is just right on the money, but the two which follow don't grab me so much (despite there being a couple of absolute stormers on each album). I find a lot of straight ahead pop-punk now just makes me feel old. I know I'd have really liked it when I was 15, but it's not so much for me now. It feels like I've heard it all before.

Weirdly though, still have a lot of time for more melodic hardcore/punk stuff. People like No Trigger or even the first couple of Trophy Eyes albums.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The Wonder Years is one of those bands I really can’t go back and listen to them again, their stuff really didn’t age well for me.

4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I don't really like the first two Wonder Years albums either lol, just TGG. No idea why that's the one that clicked with me

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Oh wait I do love Pup, but I’ve been told they don’t count as a pop-punk band for some reason

6. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Wonder Years are boring to me don’t @ me

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

Pop punk in general is a genre that has completely passed me by. Never understood it. Don't hate it or anything. It's just... there.

8. drummerAVA

Trusted

I don’t feel like anyone within the genre is doing anything particularly interesting anymore... feels fairly stagnant. I’m pretty over it.

9. btr

Trusted Supporter

Damn are we considering TWY and TSSF new? Both are a decade in at this point

10. JM95

Trusted

Would it be fair to say that pop-punk is, generally speaking, more of a singles genre than an album one?

11. drummerAVA

Trusted

I just feel like bands need to expand their sonic pallets... It’s not about “singles and albums” so much, for me, as it is like “wow, I’ve heard like 200 other things like this before.”

12. JM95

Trusted

Sure, I was sort of asking a separate question about pop-punk rather than adding to the same conversation that was happening.

13. Collins

Trusted

Does Oso Oso and Somos count as pop punk? Those are the only two relatively new ones I jam. Last pop punk album for me before that was probably TGG as well

14. Tomozaurus

Regular

PUP and Sløtface are the only pop punk bands I like from this decade.
    Paramore doesn't count anymore.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

oso x2 and somos are emo

pop punk is dead rip pop punk

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

pop punk died with Spraynard

Contender likes this.
  17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

never understood the Spraynard love, never heard anything interesting from them

18. cherrywaves

Trusted

They had tracks

19. The Lucky Moose

Mable was great

20. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Applebee's Bar is a great tune

---

I think City & Colour has gotten remarkably less interesting/good as he's become more popular. He sells out major venues now which blows my mind, since his best music is suited to smaller quieter pubs.

21. The Lucky Moose

Applebee's Bar is one of my favorite songs of the decade

22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Overall I agree, though the new album I do enjoy quite a bit.

waking season likes this.
  23. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Damn, I’ve never heard of Spraynard before. That “Applebee’s Bar” song is a fun jam.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Listen to all of Funtitled

25. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I like Mable more for what it’s worth. “Pond” “Medicine” and ofc Applebee’s Bar

The Lucky Moose likes this.