Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 654

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah idk if that’s unpopular

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I know statistically speaking U2 must be very popular, but anecdotally, I have always liked them and have got nothing but shit for it. Pretty much everyone that I know personally finds them to be pretentious and annoying.

BornToRun and mike1885 like this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think I know anyone who likes their current output, or anything they've done in the last 10-20 years.

4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

You do online though.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I either love a U2 song and have it hit me extremely hard or hate it and want it to stop whenever I hear it, no in betweens. I’d say it’s a very small handful in that love category, but boy so I enjoy those. I think most of them have such positive associations because they were in shows or movies I love and not just as standalone songs.

Brother Beck likes this.
  6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I like almost all of their recent albums a lot but with one pretty big caveat, in that they usually record a bunch of pretty awesome songs every time they make an album and then proceed to put a few of them on the album and then fill the rest of the album with very boring sometimes even just bad songs. They have a lot of really good b-sides and non-album tracks, only unlike other bands with great b-sides, like Jimmy Eat World for example, the songs they do put on the album are not very good a lot of the time.

waking season likes this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t know if I could name a U2 song from this millennium off the top of my head. I know I must be blanking on some big ones.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

"The Little Things That Give You Away" from their last album was awesome. I played it for my wife in the car one time though and she told me that if the song had gone on any longer she would have opened the door and jumped out while we were driving down the road.

Zilla likes this.
  9. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I'll listen to "Sunday Bloody Sunday", but that's basically the only one.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

which I mean sorry Bono gives a shit about the world haha, it's okay if you're not they're cup of tea but that part I never got

Craig Manning and waking season like this.
  11. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

U2 has some great songs and some songs I can’t stand. All in all I enjoy them but there is a huge nostalgia factor as I grew up listening to them since my mom is a huge fan. Bullet the Blue Sky rips.

12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I mean, let's not get carried away - they're no Keane.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

How recently did that come out?

Brother Beck likes this.
  14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd much rather listen to Keane's first album than any U2 album.

15. JM95

Trusted

99% of bands can only dream of reaching the heights of U2's 80s catalogue.

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  17. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I've irrationally hated u2 since I was like 12. I think it started as me just thinking it was dumb cause it was my "mom's" music and I was a brat, but then when they had that comeback with the dismantling the atomic bomb album I acquired a dislike for Bono and his stupid sunglasses and hat which is a dumb reason to hate something but then Ross cheats on Rachel to a u2 song in the background so let's make that their fault too.

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The Americans used that song approximately ten billion times better than Friends and is now the only use of it in pop culture that I will ever think of.

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

u2 and the police are fucking great. two of the best bands for an entire decade. and one of which redefined themselves in the 2000s to put out stuff arguably as good as that from the 80s. why does this stupid thread exist

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It says unpopular right there in the title.

21. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

I mean, Joshua Tree is great.

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This thread is a great place to say something like, for instance:

"I love the new The National album and think it is a fantastic album, but I don't think it is quite as good as most of their fans are saying it is right now. The interludes don't really do anything for me and I think it is a very long album with a few too many slowish songs and not enough upbeat ones. And Rylan is in a very weird place on the album."

If I say all that in the thread for that album it just gets people mad and it honestly does feel a little like I'm trying to crap on people's parades.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

Don’t worry. This post still made me mad.

CarpetElf, dadbolt and Brother Beck like this.
  24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

And you were specifically one of the people whose parade I didn't want to crap on!

zmtr likes this.
  25. zmtr

Trusted

Hahaha it’s all good brother. A subpar (in your opinion) album from them is still better than the vast majority of recorded music.