Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 652

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I have a friend who legitimately hates Vampire Weekend. He once compared their music to non-fat plain yogurt. Has a good taste in music otherwise.

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I don't like a lot of modern indie bands tbh

3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t know any songs by them but remember checking them out and being underwhelmed.

Gallhammer likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I'm a fan of theirs and I'm not sure I disagree with them being called yogurt music haha

FTank, zmtr, Brother Beck and 2 others like this.
  5. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I like Vampire Weekend but in the future, they are going to be looked at we look at Steely Dan or Hall & Oates right now (both of which I love). They are prime dad music candidates.

6. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t actively dislike them but they do absolutely nothing for me

trevorshmevor and Gallhammer like this.
  7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Vampire Weekend would totally be organic hand-churned Goat's milk soygurt with marketing and branding that makes it seem like it is owned by a farmer's co-op but it is actually owned by Nestlè. Or this -->
    [​IMG]
    (I actually like Vampire Weekend a lot.)

zmtr, Dinosaurs Dish and DeathOrGlory like this.
  8. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Stranger Things Have Happened by Foo Fighters is one of my favorite songs ever despite me not caring much about the band.

I can’t speak for the rest of their work, but the first Vampire Weekend album isn’t really good at all.

waking season likes this.
  9. cherrywaves

Trusted

Anthropologie Graceland. I like them though

10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Vampire Weekend is the Patron Band of Whole Foods. You can tell that your neighborhood is being gentrified if you start to hear their music in public.

11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

They’re basically the La Croix version of Steely Dan.

12. Ben May 1, 2019
    (Last edited: May 1, 2019)
    Ben

Trusted Prestigious

People who make blanket statements about not liking ANY hip hop or rap are probably a bit racist, just saying.

zmtr, Joe4th, Gallhammer and 5 others like this.
  13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Peak of rap

14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

harmony hall is the song of the year so far thanks

15. DesolateEarth

Birb

I mean I suppose some might be. I just never was a fan of most rap. I dunno what to tell you guys . I dont like what I dont like and I'm not gonna pretend to like something just because its popular on a music forum. Like country, I appreciate a lot of rap for what it is and what it has done for the music world, but also like country music I've not found any that makes me wanna seek out and listen to more.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not a big fan of it either, but I didn't grow up around it nearly at all, especially being in a super religious household. Extreme metal is what I first found once I grew out of "typical young guy" bands, so that's pretty much the opposite direction as well.

That being said, I like a handful of things here and there, but still don't know jack shit about it all.

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Scum Fuck Flower Boy is one of my favorite albums in recently memory though.

waking season likes this.
  18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Any time I listen to a rap song that I like it makes me wish I were a better dancer.

Also, in my non-scientific, first-hand experience through life so far, this statement

definitely holds water.

20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Blowin Me Up is a fucking banger.

Probably not unpopular but Dave Grohl (drummer) > Dave Grohl (frontman) > Dave Grohl (personality, last bastion of real rock music)

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It's too bad he followed that up with "Some Girls (Dance With Women)." Absolutely killed any momentum he had.

22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Adding ODB to it sure didn't help anything either.

23. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Harmony Hall is good but I don’t really get people calling it the best VW song

Joe4th and ComedownMachine like this.
  24. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Hyden extrapolates this into a full take in this 2016 article which I think is 100% accurate:

https://uproxx.com/music/phish-bakers-dozen-live-music-focal-point-of-art/2/

I suspect my wish has less to do with technology than philosophy — I wish more bands made it worthwhile to stream every show, by playing creative concerts that don’t just repeat the same songs every night. Is that too much to ask? Live music is an art form that’s just as valid as making an album, even if it’s rarely discussed in those terms. But too many artists treat playing live merely as a promotional avenue for selling albums that relatively few people will buy, a point of view that seems increasingly out-of-sync with the times.

Here’s a thought experiment: What if pop music operated on the jam-band model? The live show replaces the album as an artist’s signature work. Albums are viewed as commercials for concerts. Instead of obsessing over albums sales and streaming statistics, music writers tally up the concert tickets sold in a given week to determine an artist’s supremacy.

25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Ugh can't believe I didn't see the JC chasez posts!! The true king of nsync