Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 636

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Jason Tate Dec 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2018)
    Speaking of, not the subject of this thread, but I really like that Ralph album that came out a couple months ago. Anne Marie had some “bops” too. Feel like I could go on and on.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

all the big philly stations are I heart radio stations, it’s painful

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Speaking of mainstream pop, Kelly Clarkson's last album is super underrated imo.

I never minded radio pop too much but now that I have a job where I drive all the time and I can't always hook up my phone it is a bit terrible

4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i certainly haven't found it yet and I was mostly talking about the lack of a great mainstream pop song.

I had a much better time last year. A nice mix of songs from bands I like, new songs from bands i now like, and a good mixture of "hits" from all genres

5. Missed out imo. There’s been some incredible stuff this year.

(“High Hopes” success was pretty awesome too.)

6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Second half 2018 > 2017 > first half 2018 for me

7. Agreed, and the most distinctive newer popstars get blocked by their labels, and their albums stuck in limbo so they have to do endless features to build their profile. Major labels truly have no idea how to market them in 2018, which blows my mind. That's their job.

Even Dua Lipa got really lucky with New Rules' viral video. If that didn't happen, we would never had heard from her again, as she had already released 6 singles and had her album delayed a bunch of times beforehand. She was so close to becoming another of those singers whose debut album gets cancelled.

8. Will check out Ralph, thanks for the rec! I was disappointed with Anne Marie though, I expected better considering how strong her features with Rudimental and her earlier singles were. She scrapped an earlier version of the album that had those included, so I'll always wonder what could have been.

Betty Who is great! But I think you already are a fan of her.

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

scream it from the ROOF, amen

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

great year for pop, bad year for radio

11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Is it weird that I’ve almost never had an opening act turn me into a fan?

12. DesolateEarth

Birb

Same actually.
    I've heard some pretty good/impressive opening acts, but nothing that really made me seek more of their music.

13. I'm trying to think of one, perhaps Kvelertak but it was such a random lineup (Comeback Kid, Kvelertak, Grave Maker, a swedish punk hardcore band whose name I can't recall, The Ghost Inside) and I was only there for Comeback Kid in the first place. There were times where the opening bands were much better than the headlining one though. I saw Young Guns open for Lostprophets in 2012, and of course the former stealed the spotlight. I remember the whole crowd getting wild for Letlive when they opened for Enter Shikari in 2011.

14. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Bettywho is the best pop singer out there right now and I thought she would be much bigger than she is.

15. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I think I saw that Comeback Kid tour and had the same view as you about Kvelertak. Never heard them before and they won me over. Pretty sure the Swedish band you're thinking of is actually another Norwegian band called Social Suicide. I seem to remember that their Broken Pilgrims album was pretty damn good.

16. Yeeees that was Social Suicide! It's a shame they only did that one release then broke up.

17. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

They didn't. They did one more in 2012; A Genetic Hoax.

Hope that is a little boost to your day. :-)

18. djkzdzakjazdj I'm always so late! Thanks for telling me about this, looks like I have some catching up to do

MrCon likes this.
  19. Yeah, as a whole, that album isn't great, but there's some really solid hooks on there and a few stand out songs. A little more pop-country, but Danielle Bradbury and Kelsea Ballerini also released some good stuff in the past couple of years, and I'll always stan for Betty Who and Allie X.

20. Heh, I first saw The Starting Line as an opening act.

Recently ... I saw Sir Sly and they blew me away. FIDLAR as well.

ComedownMachine likes this.
  21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Allie X so good :heart:

22. By and large pretty true, but I say that every year.

"High Hopes", "Youngblood," "Speechless," and "God is a Woman" were some highlights that saw radio success.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Was Party for One a radio hit? If so then you all can eat a sandy egg.

24. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Yep MOST Philly radio is straight garbage. 104.5 used to be great but that was about 10 years ago. The only Philly radio station I listen to now is 90.1 WRTI

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Torres is like the only one I can think of I discovered as an opening act

I also usually am already familiar with the opener