Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 635

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

and that's.....a bad thing?

2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Well yeah. Those are great, favorite bands of mine

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

mad likes this.
  4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I agree that both a large percentage of radio music is fucking garbage and that this is one of my favorite years of music ever

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Whoaaaa no way TPR rules

6. Pop is my main genre and yes radio pop isn't good right now. Too many faceless artists putting out the same shit targeted towards Spotify playlists.

7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

If I hear another song with Khalid on it on the radio I’m gonna die

8. Dog with a Blog

[​IMG]

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

trevorshmevor likes this.
  10. As far as pop goes, it might not be an unpopular opinion, but mainstream pop would definitely be in a better place, less formulaic, and much more diverse without the likes of Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Sia (love her solo stuff but as a songwriter she's been creatively bankrupt for a while), Jess Glynne, Meghan Trainor (probably one of the worst popstars of the decade), Maroon 5, etc. Thank god Ariana is having her imperial phase right now.

On another subject, Drake's recent quantity over quality mantra has been both a blessing and a curse. He's also constantly in the spotlight, as a featured artist or on his solo releases, that he's never missed, so in a sense it's hard for me to be excited for new material at this point.

11. DesolateEarth

Birb

I mean my favorite musical decades were the 90's and 2000's. The kind of stuff I like and listen to was much more readily accessible back then. Nowadays those styles of rock and metal arent nearly as well represented in the music world. It's still there for sure, and every year I find some things that are really good, it's just gotten harder over the years. Rock has kind of gone in a more indie direction across the board, which is something I'm not as into. Still lots of great music these days, it's just harder to find than it used to be at least for me.

At the end of the day, music taste is subjective so different times in music will appeal to different people. Just my take.

12. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

we're a far cry from the second wave of black metal, that's for sure

swboyd and DesolateEarth like this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The interchangeable big name producer/female singer/Selena Gomez and/or Khalid combo has worn quite thin.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

See I actually really liked Selena Gomez stuff last year....

Ooh and this is unpopular music thread so I can say this. I don't like most of ariana grande.

15. Reese

Culture 2 is one of the better albums to come out this year

16. I think you did a bad catchin up on music and blamed the wrong people. This was one of the best year’s in music in a loooooong time.

17. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Quavo Huncho is the better album overall, but Culture 2 has higher highs.

Reese likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Well, since last year haha

19. I think this year destroyed last year and I really liked last year. This is my favorite year in music in maybe ten years. I can’t even keep track of how many albums I think are incredible this year. I got to 50 and left off some of my favorites.

Mary V and CarpetElf like this.
  20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

That's intense. But I havent gone through my list yet so who knows, I may end up agreeing in the end. This is absolutely an incredible year. Though I never know how much that's just me listening to more things.

trevorshmevor and Jason Tate like this.
  21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Mainstream pop is pretty dire right now. the singers are interchangeable to me and they are also vacant like there's no spark or anything special. Of course there's a few exceptions and I know those good exceptions will stand the test of time and the sucky ones I'm sure will be forgotten but I have had to switch radio stations because I can't deal

22. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

every song i hear on the radio now is some arena filling producer with some up and coming singer and they all follow the same exact formula, which i think heavily plays into all these singers seeming interchangeable. before whenever the established pop stars werent really cutting it there would always be some new face who would keep things interesting, but nowadays record labels are content with their new singers just scoring a hit off a collab with zedd or dj snake or martin garrix or any other douchey dj and they all sound the same so none of these singers are really bulding much of an identity.

like the most recent pop star really doing interesting stuff (both with her music as well as her career) now is ariana grande and given how quickly pop moves she might as well be an elder statesman, youd think by now thered be at least 3 new singers vying for the top. the closest names that come to mind are dua lipa (who is great) and camila cabello (whose record i found to be a chore). i guess cardi b too, but she seems to operate more in the hip hop arena which has been infintely more creative and interesting than the mainstream pop world.

23. There is some really great pop music that didn’t get to mainstream, or sat just outside of it, this year though.

24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

pop music in general is always great. radio pop just sucks

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I Heart Radio is the worst, who would have thought that having one giant conglomerate operate most pop radio stations would be bad
    but yeah radio is dead you can make a pop album in your bedroom now