Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 486

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

I know this shocking to you all but age/experience informs our opinions

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

maybe in a couple years ill think pearl jam is the best goth band then idk im just worried about school supplies right now

CarpetElf likes this.
  3. Horrorca

Trusted

I'm sure you are - get the rounded tip scissors

MikeyPaine likes this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

is that a pearl jam b-side maybe ill appreciate it in 10 years

5. Horrorca

Trusted

sounds more interesting than any PJ song I've heard

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. CoffeeEyes17

inspectorkemp likes this.
  8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I definitely agree that age shouldn't matter in liking music, but I also see plenty of posts on this site to the effect of "imagine being older than 15 and liking [Blink/ATL/insert band here]" so it's obviously a pretty widespread mindset

9. Horrorca

Trusted

it isn't meant to be derogatory, but it's a fact

age/experience informs our views of the world

why is that so controversial

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

When I saw Radiohead a few older ppl remarked that they were surprised I listened to them because it was "before my time" and I'm like.... songs don't just vanish after they come out. We've all heard Creep at the least, and then radios, cds, spotify, YouTube, movies, the internet in general, the fact that they are still a massively successful band, etc etc all still exist...

I got nothing to say about the discussion at hand except to make it about me so idk

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The Innocent Age was my favorite album when I was seven.
    The Paramour Sessions was my favorite album when I was 12.

Age doesn't dictate quality.

12. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Especially weird considering they had a huge resurgence in 2007 but yeah your point stands

13. Horrorca

Trusted

14. Kiana

And even if they hadn't had their resurgance like... I don't live under a rock lol. I grew up hearing creep, karma police, and no surprises on the radio. I got into them originally from hearing fake plastic trees on vh1 lol which is pretty accessible. Their songs are featured in Clueless. I mean. It's not some obscure band who recorded like 1 EP 20 years ago and then faded away lmao

15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

You had great taste as a 7 year old.

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. cshadows2887

People who associate age with musical taste are just more insecure people grasping at straws to try and feel superior. "My tastes have matured..." "How can anyone over ___________ listen to that band?" Etc.

I don't trust anyone who thinks liking different things than they used to makes them better than anyone else.

17. TedSchmosby

Trusted

True... but if I see a thirty-year old eating Fun Dip I'm going to on an internet forum later and talk smack

18. cshadows2887

As I think about it, one of the great pleasures of my life as a music fan has been circling back to some stuff I liked as a kid and then put away for awhile to find it's still awesome. Looking at you, Boyz II Men and Garth Brooks.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Still don't think Papa Roach is too bad at all haha, weirdly one of the bands of that ilk I didn't start completely hating

inspectorkemp likes this.
  20. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I don't know man, I used to love 3OH!3 and Hollywood Undead when I was 13 - some shit just isn't good with just a little bit of hindsight

21. Kiana

I think the only artist that didn't hold up for me after I got older was from first to last. Everything else I still listen to, even if maybe my enjoyment of it manifests differently than it used to. I guess the major difference is that when I was younger I thought I was edgy and cool af for what I listened to and now I realize I was just a tryhard lmao

22. George

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure if this belongs here, but The Tallest Man on Earth is the only artist I can think of who is a brilliant lyricist despite speaking English as a second language.

I can't think of anybody that gets close to him in that regard.

coleslawed and zmtr like this.
  23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Doing this informed my entire core music taste. Haha

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

95% of things I listened to prior to joining AP (and a bunch of stuff that I got from AP right after I joined) were definitely horrible music, hahaha. Lots of bad radio rock, scene pop rock, and other horrid warped tour music

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Say it to my face

dadbolt and Dirty Sanchez like this.