Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 485

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

I understand them - but they make me feel nothing

amorningofsleep likes this.
  2. lina555

Regular

Why? I want some arguments)

3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

This best sums up my feelings.

4. Blaine Ryan

Downvote.

If you dislike the music, fine. But this doesn't make any sense.

Craig Manning and Ken like this.
  5. SVXDan83

Regular

I almost exclusively listen to the 2009 Brendan O'Brien mixes now. I liked that they took the time to remix, as well as remaster, the record and really give fans a different glimpse into some of the sonic sublayers that were drowned in reverb! I think I read that Eddie commissioned the remix for his personal listening but then really believed in that version.

Ken likes this.
  6. Blaine Ryan Jul 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 24, 2017)
    Blaine Ryan

I have no problem with Ten's production. I just think the songwriting is all of a significantly weaker caliber than that which came after. I view it as the respectable but flawed fledgling effort from a band yet to harness its strengths into something coherent. And my personal belief is that, on artistic grounds alone, way, way more people would see it that way if it wasn't saddled with the baggage of four huge radio hits and a bunch of '90's rock nostalgia.

Ken likes this.
  7. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I'd like to add that PJ20 is such a great documentary too & while obviously covering PJ it also does a really good job of covering the whole Seattle scene around that time. I really want to watch it again soon but I feel like I'll turn into a blubbering wreck as soon as Chris Cornell turns up in it.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It was weird seeing a music documentary with no conflict though, Eddie is just too nice

Ken, SVXDan83 and ugman_2000 like this.
  9. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah he really does come across a genuinely decent person in whatever I've seen him in.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Ken like this.
  10. SVXDan83

Regular

I never looked at it that way, but I think you're onto something... I'll readily admit that it is one of the PJ albums I tend to revisit the least. For me, I think the sprawling, epic guitar solos make the album feel a lot longer than it actually is. But, I think that record was a "right place, right time" scenario where lots of former 80's metal guys latched onto the massive guitar work and the mainstream radio saw it as another chance to expose the Seattle music scene post-Nirvana. (Even though Ten came out first)

Ken and Blaine Ryan like this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

I know zero PJ late-bloomers

12. Blaine Ryan

You're speaking to one.

13. SVXDan83

Regular

I consider myself a late-bloomer in the sense that I am the right age where Ten / VS. were receiving massive attention when I was just discovering my own music tastes without the influence of parents and family members, but never gave them an ounce of my attention until No Code; arguably the most fan maligned album of their career to that point!

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  14. Horrorca

Trusted

exception that proves the rule

:P

15. cherrywaves

Trusted

Ten did not age well for me but Vs. and Vitalogy are still great achievements. I remember really liking S/T as well, I can't tell you what anything sounds like between

16. SVXDan83

Regular

Vs. is the record I still hold in the highest regard of their catalog. It tamed down the sweeping epics on Ten but held onto (and possibly increased) the range of emotion in the lyrics and vocals. I think Yield may be a close 2nd for me, but that likely has a lot to do with the fact it was the first PJ album to come out after I dubbed myself a "fan".

cherrywaves likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I wasn't listening to Ten at 3 years old, around Riot Act is when I started listening to them

Blaine Ryan and Ken like this.
  18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yeah I only really became a fan in 2003 after seeing them live. There's a PJ thread here: Band - Pearl Jam where you're all welcome/encouraged to post.

19. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Pretty much the same time I properly got into PJ too (although I was 6 when Ten came out).

Ken and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Yup, I prefer it too

What do you mean by that? Like, if you didn't first hear their stuff when you were young? Or if you literally didn't follow their albums as they were released?

21. Horrorca

Trusted

age-wise

22. Deathco_019

Drummer

Why do you bring age into conversations like these? You've done it before in the Deftones thread and now you are with Pearl Jam? Who actually fucking cares how old somebody is when they listen to Pearl Jam. Just because someone listens to them way later on in their career doesn't mean that probably won't become a fan due to their age. That's just asinine.

23. Horrorca

Trusted

oh wow an unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread

color me surprised

24. Deathco_019

Drummer

Age doesn't really have anything to do with having an unpopular opinion about Pearl Jam, but okay.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  25. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Blink 182s untitled is the best goth album of all time but maybe id feel differently if i was born in the 1960s idk im only 12