Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 400

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Bahahahaha. I am not big, strong, and tough. I just aim for the soft spaces on them.

2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I sometimes wish it were possible to have a spot near the front for people who want to be close but don't want to get stuck in a mosh pit. Back in '08 at an Alexisonfire show I really truly thought I was about to die cause a dude 3x my size was about to fall right on top of me.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. Moshing / stage diving / crowd surfing is stupid.

Remember when Joyce Manor asked people not to do that at their shows and launched a thousand thinkpieces and opinions no one asked for

4. Tom Apr 3, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2017)
    Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I've never taken part in stage diving or crowd surfing or moshing before because I'd just feel extremely rude doing it. I know there are a lot people who really hate it so why ruin someone else's night? It use to really bother me when I was younger. But now I personally don't mind it because I know it's inevitable. At this point people will find a way to stage dive to anything.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

It was when I saw people mosh at Bamboozle to the melodic strains of Relient K's piano pop that I realized these morons really will try to get rowdy to anything

6. hammy

I think crowd surfing depends on the context. I'm not really into metal or hardcore, so I can't really comment on mosh pits, but normally I find crowd surfing just plain annoying... That said, if the band's into it (e.g. Mac Demarco) it's more appropriate. At least then you know what you're getting into.

7. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

honestly i hate moshing, sorry if that hurts anyones feelings.

I'll deal with getting pushed at shows cause I expect it... but if you swing at me for fun i will swing at you for real and hurt you. I don't play with that shit. I align with Fugazi's mentality, I'm here for the music not for violence.

8. amorningofsleep

I used to think it's cool when I was younger. But now I just don't want to be disturbed during a set. Plus, I paid fucking $7 for this beer, don't you dare spill it.

mad likes this.
  9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i think pits are fine as long as everyone knows how to do it correctly, which never happens. make sure the people that aren't involved stay uninvolved, be in control of your body. push pits can be fun at times in the right settings!

10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I pride myself in good crowd etiquette. I'll "mosh" only if i'm seeing ETID these days, but, I know what and what not to do.

Most of the idiots at shows I can't really blame because they are younger and I know I was an arrogant prick at shows when I was a teenager too.

11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

worst part of going to a show and watching folks get all rowdy is watching white people at their most rythmless. Like... how is that your body's response to this music? Are we listening to the same thing? You're just flailing about. Like... I don't get it.

mad, Kiana, fame and 3 others like this.
  12. Randall Mentzos Apr 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2017)
    Randall Mentzos

Death Cab For Cutie are legit the best pop/rock band of the 2000s. With all of their early weirdness and their indie/DIY background included. Basically only Radiohead and Jimmy Eat World could have a better argument imo. The thing that gets me about DCFC over Radiohead is that DCFC did it themselves and didn't have a major label's help until years later.

And I always feel like im the only person who really thinks that highly of DCFC. They seem like the band everyone kinda likes but no one is in the mood for. But their writing as both musicians and lyricists perfectly treads the line between depth of detail and immediate accessibility.

They hit you with 4 part harmonies and off-beat syncopation on the drums and the bass is playing a moving motif... and then it's also got really matter-of-fact philosophical lyrics sung in a catchy melody over the top. They appeal to both sides of the music spectrum and it's all self recorded and self mixed, motherfucker. Plus the fact you can't mistake their sound for another band's sound, because the vocal inflection and use of guitar tones is so specific, they are a band with a strong amount of uniqueness and character as well.

I get that the band got a lot of credit for Transatlanticism and Plans was on the radio and they are perceived as "indie darlings" and yadda yadda but I almost think thats limiting, patronizing to a band that's legitimately broken more ground by themselves than a lot of really appraised bands have done with tons more help in the industry. They arent just another Vampire Weekend-esque fad that rode a wave and then their bubble burst. They are fucking awesome and deserve to be remembered like The Smiths or The Smashing Pumpkins or Neil Young. Even if they aren't as good without Chris Walla and aren't recording themselves anymore because of it, they had a really strong 15 year run.

My unpopular opinion.

mad likes this.
  13. cwhit

my more unpopular opinion
    the only death cab album i like is facts

14. amorningofsleep

I mean, I throw on Narrow Stairs every now and then, but if I'm being honest, I only give a shit about Plans.

15. cwhit

i've given transatlanticism so much as well and nope, nothing hits me even close to as much as facts

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Death Cab for Cutie is maybe my all time favorite band, but I haven't loved a record of theirs since like 2007 or 08

17. Randall Mentzos

DCFC almost never uses power chords. It's all brilliant melodic stacks of harmonies and call response. They are probably the reason I always think it sounds plebian to just put down a boring rhythm track and then play wailing leads, and why I seek out bands where both guitarists do both and mix melodies up with rhythmic strumming.

Idk I think their guitar style is really unique for a band of their stature, and awesome. It dates you back to Built To Spill and The Sea And Cake's 90s records, and ties that sound into a modern pop sound. I can't think of an actively recording artist who gets more distinct tones out of a Telecaster than Chris Walla.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I like DCFC more than most bands and Transatlanticism more than most albums.

mad and ComedownMachine like this.
  19. cshadows2887

I've always been curious: How do people who hate variety finish the phrase "_________ is the spice of life?"

20. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

DCFC were one of my favourite bands about 5 or 6 years ago but not anymore. I revisited some of their stuff a few weeks ago and it just reaffirmed for me that I'm just not that into them anymore. I still think of Transatlanticism, Plans and Narrow Stairs as good albums but I don't love them like I once did. I've never really liked their old stuff and their more recent stuff is some of the most boring music I've ever heard. I don't think they come even a little bit close to being as good as Jimmy Eat World or Radiohead.

21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think Transatlanticism alone is better than everything JEW has done, I don't think nearly as highly of that band as most seem to though. I think Radiohead are a maybe better band despite me liking Death Cab more. They just do more interesting things.

22. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Transatlanticism is probably their best album but I feel like the back half is considerably stronger than the opening section, which makes it feel kind of uneven to me. I think most of JEW's albums are brilliant from start to finish.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Start the phrase*

24. cshadows2887

Sigh. It's been a long day. Haha.

I should have said "complete the phrase"

SpyKi and CarpetElf like this.
  25. Randall Mentzos

That's crazy talk to me. I think a lot of JEW albums have highlights but i get tired of listening to them before the album is over, some of the songs are just less good versions of the same thing. Futures is the one JEW album I do enjoy start to finish regularly.

Every one of the first four songs on Transatlanticism hits me very hard, great detail, great production, great lyrics, unique and catchy melodies, all four are really different from each other too. Im surprised you think that part of the record is weak.