Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular General Opinions • Page 156

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by sophos34, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

The Hobbit is a children’s book, Colby

ChaseTx and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What does that have to do with anything?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Colby Searcy

I'm still confused by this, James

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I think he's cyberbullying.

Dog with a Blog and ChaseTx like this.
  5. Dog with a Blog

Ohhhhh. It’s a book meant for children I mean

6. Dog with a Blog

I’ve probably mentioned this before but the season is upon us so...

Watching fireworks is fuckin dumb. I can’t understand finding enjoyment in them after you are like 7 years old.

7. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I think I’ve shared this before, but senior year of high school we spent all day on the beach drinking and eating and shit for these fucking lame ass fireworks and in the middle of the “event” we’re all quiet and then my buddy Scott goes, “we wasted an entire fucking day for this. We should’ve at least gotten really high first. That would have made this a little more enjoyable.”

And it was the perfect statement. We were sunburned, dehydrated and sick of all the people and why did we put up with it? For fucking fireworks. Woohoo.

8. Dog with a Blog

Right. And even with “good” fireworks it is often cold and you’re spending most of the time just trying to get comfortable. If fireworks were on the level that they are in Lord of the Rings then maybe but in their current state they are a snooze fest. And people who record fireworks are dumb srynotsry

9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I was talking to my girlfriend about how I want to see the fireworks this year, but I don’t want to spend my whole day there to get a good view so I probably just won’t see them

10. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

there are so many damn fireworks tents set up around my town and I’m just like who buys all this!???

they suck

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Unless it's a super elaborate show like yeeeeah fireworks are fireworks. As an adult I get enjoyment out of my nephews excitement for them, but I'm never excited over them myself. And they start fires. My nephew is out of town for the fourth so I'm just gonna stay in. I can probably see them from the rooftop but again like.... You've seen one firework show and you've seen them all

12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I will say I love when Disney does the fireworks and parades because IDGAF about them and others do, so the lines are shorter at that time

Colby Searcy and DrAlanGrant like this.
  13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I think there’s something to say about seeing nieces and nephews loving fireworks though. I couldn’t care less but they get so damn excited. It’s sweet.

14. Dog with a Blog

Are your nieces and nephews over 7 years old? If so, it’s time for them to let go.

15. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

More like it’s time for you to let them go. When they get old enough to be literate the whole being stupid children thing really stops being as cute am I right

16. Dog with a Blog

You get it

17. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

fireworks definitely suck. the worst thing about fireworks is people who take videos of fireworks and then upload them to social media. who cares

18. Colby Searcy

I get that but why does that matter? There's plenty of books meant for children that I don't care for, same as books meant for older audiences.

19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I refuse to read books written for adults

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  20. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Every book is a children’s book if the kid can read.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  21. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. Randall Mentzos Jun 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2019)
    Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

This is too intense for facebook so I guess I'll post it here. Anyone who's ever worked for a restaurant or had a good friend who did, probably will understand this. I've been a server for most of the last 9 years and I am so over it.

My main reason for posting this in "unpopular opinions" is because a lot of people blindly accept straight up mistreatment from restaurant employers, and act like its no big deal. Because to them, $100-$200 a night is worth sucking it up and not questioning it. (which translates to $24k-$48k a year, in most cities not enough to buy a house and car).

It's a very pretentious blue-collar attitude that's like, "I'm tough because I don't complain" but really you're just grasping for something to take pride in. "Projecting" that pride, so to speak, to compensate for the fact that your job treats you like a sub-class person, and gaslights you to think you're not a good employee if you don't let them walk all over you.

Long story short, from a "management & operations" perspective, I've found that, unequivocally, restaurants are run poorly and they cause a lot of their own problems & inefficiency. I have a strong theory that the job of being a server does not need to be as ludicrously demanding as it is, if they literally just handled their staffing and employee relations better.

23. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Another part of this is that, as a kid I thought a salaried business job would sap my ambition and personality. As it turns out, going the other way wasn't any easier and I honestly don't have enough energy OR money to pursue music like I always wanted to. So, shit, at this point I realize I'd rather have the money and stability because I'm getting tired and cynical either way. At least that way I can actually afford studio time and tour promotion, instead of having to nickel and dime everything for like 3-5 new listeners at a time.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

24. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I remember as a teenager looking for simple part time jobs restaurants were always at the bottom of my list, and even within that category I would prefer working fast food over the prospect of being a waiter. Don’t know how people are able to handle it day in and out

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  25. Dog with a Blog

As a theater manager I get almost all the downsides of being a waiter without the tips. It’s great.