Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular General Opinions • Page 155

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by sophos34, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

If I ever got engaged and wore a ring id be fine with like a cute little opal ring for less which is super cheap but even then liiike I'm not much of a jewelry person. I'd probably prefer a necklace because I don't like the way the band feels between my fingers

I def think it's ridic to spend so much on a ring when u can spend that like on a down payment or a fun vacation

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the honeymoon seems more fun to spend money on than the ring and ceremony

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. Kiana

If I ever get married it's just gonna be in my grandma's backyard and food will either be Mexican or in n out and I'll find some cheap dress off poshmark or something and the rest of the budget goes towards paying for my guests to go to Knott's Berry farm for the reception or like a honeymoon where I see Jimmy eat world in a cool place I've never been before.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I feel like it’s a huge risk though and a dude can’t tell a girlfriend he’d rather spend that money on a down payment... because it’s so ingrained in people’s heads that materialism is a legitimate way to show love. So many people see it like “you don’t really love me if you get me a cheap ring, spending money shouldn’t matter when it comes to a proposal” etc

Like, imo, yeah a down payment on a house together is a pretty strong display of commitment to that person, and people would be so much smarter for doing that instead haha. But it feels like society is still stuck on the romance of getting a pretty ring

5. Kiana

Eh I feel like if the couple is close to the stage of getting engaged or married then they should each somewhat know each other's expectations, whether that be a big lavish wedding or a quick ceremony at the courthouse or whatever so the risk shouldn't be that big. I'm sure there are tons of times where that doesn't happen, but like in my ideal world lmao there'd be many discussions beforehand.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and CarpetElf like this.
  6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I thought this at 13 and bummed my parents out lol. Then they had my sister and were like "oh okay I get it"

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

That's why you gotta talk about those things.

Either way, no diamond. If ring, it'll be amethyst because I have to stay on brand.

8. moderndynamo

bork bork

Yeah, if you are buying a diamond ring for your SO it’s because you understand that is what they want and you’ve subscribed to that idea and are okay with it IMO

9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

My ex and I bought simple white gold bands with inscriptions in them. Neither of us wanted anything expensive or gaudy. Thank god we didn’t waste money on diamonds, ugh

And if someone can’t tell their fiancée that they’d rather put money down on a home than a ring, then they probably aren’t a good fit to get married.

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Diamonds are artificially made scarce and their value are inflated by diamond companies like De Beers. If you really want to split hairs about it, all gem stones are just pieces of carbon that mankind has deemed to be precious.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

if you really want to split hairs about it, all human life is just pieces of carbon that we have deemed to be precious.

12. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Damn, you got me there

13. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Amethyst is actually my gf's favorite gemstone. If we end up staying compatible for a couple years and going that far (obviously it's early, but planning way ahead) I have already considered getting her amethyst instead of a diamond.

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog May 19, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019)
    Dog with a Blog

Hahah yes! Except my older sister who is like 32 and still has like a present list and I’m just like what are you doing who do you think we are?

CarpetElf likes this.
  15. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

My parents and siblings and I still do gifts for birthdays and Christmas (and Mother’s and Father’s Day) but it’s all practical stuff that is useful, nothing that most people think of as a “gift” in the greedy Western idea of a gift.

It’s like: socks, gift cards to grocery stores, cleaning supplies, yard stuff, maybe some clothes, maybe a book, etc. I’ve actually had trouble thinking of things the last few years so we usually just end up buying the dogs and young nieces and nephews a lot of shit.

16. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Truthfully, the only diamonds that are worth it are ones that you have to fight crazy grey gorillas over.

DarkHotline likes this.
  17. Kiana

Ppl always look at me weird and judgey for saying it, but I have an issue when someone says they'd adopt but it's like a last resort if they can't have a biological child. Idk I've seen enough disrupted adoptions which I think is like legit one of the most traumatizing things u can ever do to a child. Like it's a long and difficult and expensive process and it shouldn't be a last resort adoption. I know it doesn't necessarily mean you aren't committed to adopt the child, but I've become a cynical mess lol. Idk. At the end of the day if a child is adopted and is safe and happy that's all that matters, but I am always a lil skeptical. Espesh the "you have to adopt a newborn so you have that bond." Like if u can't bond with a child who isn't a newborn idk what to tell u, but ppl just have interesting ideas about adoption.

CarpetElf and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I would much rather adopt like a 5 year old haha,I can't imagine myself dealing with the non verbal stages haha

Kingjohn_654 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

aliens exist and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  20. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  21. Kiana

Idk how widespread this is but those adult coloring books have been a thing for a while now and I hate them. They're so tedious and the spaces are so small I'd rather just use a kids book if I wanna color something. During trainings or long meetings sometimes ppl will break them out with these rly fancy colored pencils and I'm just like eh

22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I love that because I think adult coloring books are awesome! Haha

Kingjohn_654 and CarpetElf like this.
  23. Kiana

Lord of the rings books are boring af. I don't need like fifty pages to describe a leaf on the ground ok!!

24. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

That's exactly how I feel.

I've tried multiple times to read The Hobbit but couldn't get past like page 50 because the only thing I learned was about a Hobbit foot

Kingjohn_654 and trevorshmevor like this.
  25. Kiana

I actually did get thru The Hobbit book but never the LOTR books. I do love the movies except I never saw the hobbit movies. Viggo in the LOTR movies was def one of my childhood crushes

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.