Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 91

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

If only, but it was the 2005-2006 school year when it was winning all the awards. She was well-meaning but very naive. She gave out her personal phone number to the AP students and we would call her on Saturday night to try and get her to buy us alcohol. She would yell at me the next Monday in class but she didn't realize that made me seem cooler than I actually was.

phaynes12 and CarpetElf like this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

I probably watched Grease at least ten times throughout elementary school. The music teacher would show it a lot.

In middle and high school they made us watch October Sky so many times. It was science-related and PG rated so it worked out for everyone.

My AP Literature teacher did recommend Repo Man to me, so school was not a complete waste of time.

OhTheWater and CarpetElf like this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

In music classes it was either Grease or Amadeus. I also remember Lorenzo’s Oil for a biology class.

I did have a “cool” teacher for an essay writing class in high school who showed us the Graduate and an episode of Freaks & Geeks to write critical analysis essays about

4. Morrissey

Trusted

In a math class we watched Stand and Deliver. I always feel bad for math teachers because they don't have much to show. I am a history teacher and I have a wealth of options.

We watched the first forty minutes of the Leonardo DiCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet but then someone told on the teacher and we couldn't finish it.

After state testing they showed us the Lord of the Rings, but I think they showed the second movie first so no one really knew what was going on.

I remember A Raisin in the Sun in a drama class. Sound of Music was another music class, and we watched Newsies a bunch because we did one of the songs, but the most surreal one was The Wiz. She didn't explain to us that it was a take on The Wizard of Oz so we thought we were getting scammed somehow.

Other than the obvious Bill Nye episodes, I remember a lot of Fat Albert in elementary school.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it. I had an Avengers: Endgame screener for them the weekend after the movie came out.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I probably saw the beginning of Newsies at least a dozen times; don’t remember ever seeing the end.

domotime2 likes this.
  6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

My high school english teacher showed us mean girls like 10 times

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Was I your teacher

Ken, popdisaster00, Zilla and 6 others like this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

probably saw Glory a dozen times in high school

domotime2 likes this.
  9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Across my classes I show:
    Stand By Me, Fences, The Great Gatsby (yuck), Halloween, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, Jaws, Scream, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (that one caused an issue), The Final Girls, Freedom Writers (yuck), Perks of Being a Wallflower and Hoop Dreams

11. Morrissey

Trusted

What teacher was trying to get fired that day showing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I taught a horror film class! It made it all the way to the board

riotspray and kidwithhelmet like this.
  13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I took a film class in community college a couple years ago and from what I can remember we watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 50/50, Terminator 2, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Bicycle Thieves, The Shining, and a couple more that I'm blanking on. We also had to go see Get Out and Personal Shopper in theaters and write papers on them

riotspray likes this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

We watched a different episode of Seinfeld everyday in my ap sociology class

riotspray likes this.
  16. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I remember getting to watch apollo 13 in 5th grade. Excellent choice.

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

In seventh grade history we were learning about the country of Jamaica and then watched Cool Runnings

18. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

In high school my social studies teacher was the offensive coordinator of our football team so every Friday he’d be busy with game plans for the nights game so we’d watch Rudy. He’s pass it off as “learning to overcome obstacles” and then on Monday he’d be going over Friday nights game stats and video so we’d watch Friday Night Lights to learn how “sports impact society and small towns”.

We’d even watch these when football season was over. We were pretty sure he either left to get lunch or take a nap somewhere but we never found him.

19. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I remember watching “10 Things I Hate About You” to learn about Shakespeare in junior English.

20. Doomsday

flora & dany approve this post Supporter

Here's an unpopular opinion on this site: I tried watching it again and tried getting really into it, but I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson is only a bit funny and not nearly as hilarious as people here make it out to be

jkauf and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Like all skit shows, the quality varies skit-to-skit and I’d say maybe half I find funny. Even then, the funniest ones to me are good but not hysterical like most people online seem to think.

Doomsday likes this.
  22. Doomsday

flora & dany approve this post Supporter

Yeah, definitely a problem with sketch shows. I think Tim Robinson is an extremely likable guy even if I don't think the skits are that well written. I think the hot dog car one and when he's singing about the skeletons are genuinely funny. Everything else, after a recent rewatch, is not all that funny at all IMO

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm not as in love with it as some but there's some really funny stuff in it and I can see why it's so popular.

Preserved Moose likes this.
  24. it's a great show but I think most fans would acknowledge there are multiple duds, even if they're usually non-consensus

25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I mentioned in the thread that there are kind of two styles of sketch almost. The completely silly and surreal and out there ones are some of my favorite comedy moments to come out in recent memory, but the aggressive ones focusing on overly long gags do nothing for me. It’s not start to finish perfect for me like it is for a lot of people here.

angrycandy likes this.