Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 89

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

going back to the SW prequels, it’s very easy to see where they went wrong and what could be done to fix them, and if you fix those spots in your head you can make out a story that is actually fascinating and layered. E.g., what I remembered as all this dull, insignificant trade deal and political nonsense is actually a well done example of how a fascist power is able to take over - through creating conflict by slowly manipulating less significant events over time until all opposition is either defeated or willingly gives in.

They also really help highlight what makes a movie even workable as a coherent story. There are so many scenes that are just these redundant 30 second clips of dialogue that repeat information and take the air out of it. If I knew someone who was starting to really get into movies in general then would honestly recommend they watch them because they make apparent how essential the bare bones work of properly pacing and timing is to a movie. Which is something much more difficult to grasp when you only watch movies that do have good pacing, because the whole goal is to have the audience not notice it

Petit nain des Îles and Tim like this.
  2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Leftandleaving and mad like this.
  3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

4. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Paying to see something bad for the spectacle of it (and especially given that it is hilariously underperforming) really shouldn’t be a conversation as if paying to see the 11th entry in a mediocre Disney franchise is somehow better

5. Morrissey

Trusted

In a perfect world you wouldn't be allowed into a Star Wars movie without a child present. Chuck E. Cheese has the same policy and it works.

6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

While I wholeheartedly agree, it doesn’t solve the problem. If a morally bankrupt corporation like Wal-Mart were to shutter, consumers would be driven elsewhere. If the same were to happen to Disney and Marvel, people simply wouldn’t go to the movies.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don’t think that’s true. People went to the movies before Disney existed. They went before Star Wars and Marvel existed.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Things don't always get worse. TV shows are much better than they were pre-Sopranos.

You aren't going to get someone who only watches superhero movies to become an Andrei Tarkovsky fan overnight, but having access to more stuff will reach a lot of people.

I had to drive 90 miles each way to see A Hidden Life today. Is it a movie that everyone will appreciate? No, but I can't even recommend it to people I think might be curious because it isn't even available because local theaters show the new Star Wars movie literally on every half hour.

9. tdlyon Dec 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 23, 2019)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I feel like I have weird opinions sometimes because it's super rare that I actively dislike a piece of entertainment, whether it be movies, albums or TV, especially with music though. Of course it happens sometimes but usually the worst reaction I have to something is being bored/not that into it.

10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

As a lone voice of contention on a different angle, I have to say that while Cats the movie is undoubtedly bad, it is also the only opportunity many people will have to see a version of a critically acclaimed Broadway musical that ran for decades and was a cultural phenomenon. Theatre is scare and exclusive on purpose to create a sense of superiority and entitlement and honestly, that sucks. It would be better for Cats to succeed because people DO want access to musical theater, they just can’t afford to travel and purchase $500 Hamilton tickets or whatever the popular show is this year. It would also be better for Tom Hooper to not get to direct the versions we get but I’ll take a baby step towards that medium being more accessible to the general public and hopefully uhhhh improving a lot as we go. (We’ll see how the In The Heights movie turns out)

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

A movie as bad (and financially unsuccessful) as Cats has more of a chance of the bringing the momentum of adapting musicals to a screeching halt though, not making them more likely. Like how Showgirls entirely killed the NC-17.

In the Heights has WAY more potential, but with this and Spielberg’s take on West Side Story I don’t feel great about the current state of Broadway in mainstream film.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I agree generally speaking but there was a filmed version of Cats, and without having seen it I don't think it's a relevant or important musical

But you're right living in New York gives me unfair advantage to theater and it's one of the things keeping me tethered here

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

fair point, which is why I’m saying it would have been better for it to be successful- someone above said voting with your dollars is bad and I don’t think that’s necessarily true in this case.

to be fair- I don’t like Cats but it is important just based on its historical context on Broadway and in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s career.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

[​IMG]

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I still agree that supporting this monstrosity is bad, especially from the standpoint of what theater lovers deserve. Saying, “You have to pay for this awful mess or else they might not make more musicals in the future!” is a terrible place to put people in. Those people who want accessible productions and don’t have the luxury of even a local theater company to support shouldn’t have to choke down trash movies because movie studios don’t treat them with respect.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Aren't we kind of missing the point that Broadway shows are bourgeois trash?

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

You're bourgeois trash, oh GOT EM.

20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i think we’re really missing the point in that all of you should have boycott hooper after kings speech

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

There are a lot of directors whose creative choices I dislike, but they are competent directors. Tom Hooper doesn't know how to direct.

22. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Trevor Moore has never been more right about anything than his ranking of the Star Wars movies.

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

completely lost behind the camera

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Mrplum5089 and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.