Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 88

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Damn you’re right, how could I forget about them

2. Morrissey

Trusted

Giving your money to Cats ironically is worse than going in earnest

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Ironically liking anything is stupid & should be frowned upon.

Sincerely liking something that you know isn't good, but is still sincerely enjoyable to you, is dope.

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Liking anything is overrated, who’s with me

5. Tim

Nah, hating things is overrated. Liking things is dope as fuck. Sincerity rules.

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Sincerity is scary

7. Morrissey

Trusted

You're voting with your wallet. Every dollar you give to Cats increases the likelihood that Tom Hooper gets to make another movie. It feels like an echo of the dark age of endless Sharknado sequels.

8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I sincerely like many things ironically. There are things I like that are bad and things I like *because* they are bad. There’s nothing stupid about it and it shouldn’t be frowned upon

9. flask

Trusted Supporter

I can’t get into watching bad things for enjoyment. I have friends who LOVE watching terrible movies (birdemic, trolls 2, etc) that shit is just boring.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Troll 2 is a gift, I won’t stand for slander.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

My brother loves watching shitty low budget sci-fi movies. Stuff I’ve never heard of. He legitimately enjoys it though.

12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I’ve been watching the Star Wars prequels this past week and the absolutely horrible production of them *is* genuinely hilarious. It’s entertaining but in a way completely unintended by the creator.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

The trailer was bad. The reviews were bad. Tom Hooper is bad. It's like drinking spoiled milk on purpose.

14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

is laughing at bad tv/movies the same as watching “ironically”

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it depends, like I think most people realize that there was no irony to Ed Wood and Tommy Wiseau and are appreciating their dedication to weird shit that's for no one else besides them

16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

What does it mean to watch and enjoy something ironically if not “enjoying something for its unintended badness”

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Like there’s a definite distinction between bad movies that are bad in an incredibly boring and uninteresting way, and movies that are bad in an engrossing way. And with the latter it’s not a matter of liking the movie *despite* its badness, and I don’t see any reason why embracing them as such is stupid or should be frowned upon.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, the MST3K crew has always talked about the fact that they genuinely love most of the terrible movies they riff because you can see that there is some core heart or joy to them that was held back by budget or talent or a million other factors. Some of course don’t fit that and are pretty painful, but it’s that fondness for weird choices that makes them easy to root for and try to find the enjoyment in. Plus some truly do go beyond general incompetence and round the corner to surreal brilliance and insanity.

It’s a very different beast when you’re talking about a soulless corporate movie that cost hundreds of millions of dollars and most likely kept something else from getting funded in the process.

19. Tim

I dunno, I don't wanna split hairs on where sincerely enjoying campy & kitschy art ends, & where cynical irony begins. All I know is, watching things to make fun of 'em is a super tedious & lame genre of entertainment that I'm happy to ridicule as such.

Anyways, I haven't seen Cats yet, but I genuinely wish I had seen that instead of The Rise of Skywalker the other day, & it's not out of irony.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

It should be noted that I was specifically referring to paying to see Cats. If you torrent a bad movie it is less egregious.

21. Tim

Audacious bad art that feels like a passion project of sorts tends to inspire creativity in me as much as genuinely great art. There's just something inspiring to me about someone having an idea & getting to see it through, whether the final outcome is To the Wonder or Yoga Hosers.

This is even more true in the world of comics, where anyone can create anything w/out any resources other than a pen & paper, or access to a passable computer.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am absolutely paying to see Cats and I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of it

yung_ting likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

I hope your students find out.

imthesheriff likes this.
  24. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I’m definitely gonna torrent Cats eventually, but yeah please don’t pay to see it lol

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I will come back from break with my full review. I saw it earlier this year as a live show and it was one of the more baffling, entertaining things I have seen in a long time