Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. I agree

Anthony_D'Elia and GEM37 like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Currently watching PDL!!!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

still need to see Hard Eight Magnolia and Boogie Nights

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Boogie Nights is his most watchable, on par with Goodfellas. The Master is my pick for his best

popdisaster00 and Nathan like this.
  5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The Tree of Life was by-the-book artistic masturbation.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Never really understood the masturbatory critique of art. All art is masturbatory

Nathan and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. Anthony_ Aug 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Feb 7, 2017)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah, I found the film to be so pretentious and up its own ass that it was just exhausting to sit through. When that film was nominated for all those Oscars that year, I was just in awe of how ridiculous it was.

2011 was a weird year in general. You had, for example, The Artist winning Best Picture, Director, and Actor when the film was nothing more than a much more basic, less interesting rip-off of Singin' In The Rain only silent and in black and white (and way, way less fun). Martin Scorsese scored (I believe) the most nominations any of his films has ever had at the Oscars, and that film was Hugo (a totally, unbelievably underrated film that actually deserved Best Picture). Meryl Streep beat out Viola Davis for Best Actress in a total shocker, winning her third Oscar. Jonah-freaking-Hill was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (well-deserved, but still surprising). The Dean from Community (aka Jim Rash) was one of the co-writers of The Descendants and won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. And Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close made it into Best Picture somehow. What a strange year.

8. Anthony_

Is that really an unpopular opinion? Pretty sure most people would agree, or at least not challenge the idea, that There Will Be Blood is the greatest film of the 21st Century and one of the greatest American films ever made.

At least, most everyone except my girlfriend, who still says it's the worst film she's ever seen.
    -____-

9. Anthony_

I hate Friends. It's pandering and I think it spends far too much time making obvious, weak jokes that wouldn't be anywhere near actual humor without a laugh track telling you that you should be laughing and when. I don't really find How I Met Your Mother to be that funny either.

The multi-camera sitcom format is dead, as far as I'm concerned. Nobody will ever be better than Seinfeld so there's no point in even continuing to make them.

Ken likes this.
  10. thesinkingship

D.Va 1 Bad Guys 0

Most people have no clue who Paul Thomas Anderson is. That doesn't make him unable to be the best filmmaker of this generation (I would say he probably is or at least is very much in the running). However, it certainly makes it an unpopular opinion.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I'm too drunk to read this Terrance Malick slander

popdisaster00 likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

The Tree of Life is one of the least pretentious movies ever made. Malick lays everything out as nakedly as possible and hides nothing.

WordsfromaSong and GEM37 like this.
  13. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Stanley Kubrick, David Fincher, and Christopher Nolan are among the most overrated filmmakers of all time.

Punch-Drunk Love is my PTA ATF.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms?

15. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I get why a lot of people don't like Malick - he's played less and less by the 'rules' of cinematic storytelling as the years have gone by.

But, I don't think the word pretentious really applies to him.

He always asks the same question - what does it mean to be human, and what the fuck are we all doing here - and always asks it complete sincerity. His concern is nothing less than the totality of life, and his movies are always earnest explorations of that - even if, sometimes, the results are alienating and kinda boring (*cough*ToTheWonder*cough*)

I'll still never forget seeing the 'Birth of the Universe' sequence in The Tree of Life for the first time. How moved I was to see imagery so gorgeous overlaid with the grief of a woman's dead son. How something so unbelievably tragic is dwarfed - and yet, still part of - something so massive we can't even comprehend it. Elegant, beautiful, moving.

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

There Will Be Blood is significantly better than No Country for Old Men. So is the Assassination of Jesse James.

17. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

This is an unpopular opinion? Wow

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

As a PTA fan, Punch Drunk Love is my least favorite of his. The only funny part was when Adam Sandler went berserk and tore up the bathroom stall.

19. All time favorite

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's popular here maybe but most people I talk to don't even know Blood or Assassination.

21. Anthony_

Sounds like you're talking to the wrong people.

22. Anthony_

Punch-Drunk Love is so underrated. It's definitely the best work of Adam Sandler's entire career, for one. I think it gets maligned by PTA fans because of how basic of a plot it is, especially coming off of Magnolia.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Like i dont already know that haha. I'm a Florida resident.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Magnolia couldve done with less plot

25. Anthony_

Hope you have an entire afternoon to set aside for Magnolia. Just kidding, but seriously that movie is so long. Possibly the best performance of Tom Cruise's career in that film, though.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.