Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 191

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I hate how comedies are viewed as lesser by critics especially during award shows

Zilla likes this.
  2. Same as animated movies.

Zilla and riotspray like this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i don’t feel like they are anymore. maybe true sitcoms that stick to the form. but fleabag and atlanta are two of the most critically respected shows of the last decade regardless of genre.

CarpetElf and Leftandleaving like this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

I am mostly bored by Miyazaki films.

5. atlas

Trusted

I haven’t seen any in a while and I watched Howl’s Moving Castle with a friend earlier and was mostly just like “this is fine I guess”. loved Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke as a kid though

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Totoro was cool but I thought Spirited Away was kinda underwhelming

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Totoro is maybe the best animated film ever made

Aregala likes this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

I feel about his films the way I feel about early Pixar: they are much better than the garbage films that kids are usually given, but there is not that much else there.

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think he has multiple masterpieces, one of my favourite directors. Magical stuff. His best work is the Nausicca manga though.

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Looooooot of bad Bukowski takes floating around twitter today. In general, I find most book twitter takes to be pretty awful. It is wild how bad people are at reading, and how eager they are to show their asses online about it

11. phaynes12

what are the takes

12. Morrissey

Trusted

Don't allude to them, share it with us.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. OhTheWater Jul 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 24, 2021)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was the thread that gained traction

edit:
    To be clear, I don’t even care about the person writing in the book. That analysis (surface level as it is) is their analysis as they went through the reading. The publicizing it with commentary and the responses that follow are what’s stupid

Leftandleaving likes this.
  14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Feel like I have a pretty good guess as to who the “mystery woman” writing the notes is

15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

You guessed it: Frank Stallone

domotime2 likes this.
  16. username

hey you lil piss baby

Re: Ghibli, I prefer Takahata over Miyazaki, based on the films I’ve seen (4 and 6 films respectively). Big fan of Totoro, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke but I would take Takahata’s Only Yesterday and (controversially) My Neighbors the Yamadas over all of them. And I have yet to see a the Tale of Princess Kaguya, which is by most accounts an overwhelming masterpiece.

I think it comes down to a difference of visual style for me. While Miyazaki’s films are undeniably beautiful and detailed, I find their more traditional look less appealing than the borderline Impressionist style of the two Takahata works I mentioned (Grave of the Fireflies and Pom Poko seemed to have more of a traditional Miyazaki/Ghibli style from what I remember).

17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is, indeed, wonderful.

(I’m also really into the Miyazaki films I’ve seen, though, so no “unpopular opinions” from me at this time, sorry.)

oncenowagain, Colby Searcy and SpyKi like this.
  18. plagueofangel

Very sad dad

This is only tangentially related, but I don't know why they keep casting these big name Hollywood stars in animated movies for kids cuz like...Kids are gonna wanna see a Pixar or whatever movie regardless of who is doing the voice. Like...My kid likes the angry birds movie but he wanted to see it cuz he likes angry birds, not cuz he was like "I love Jason Sudakis!". Doesn't make sense to me.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. plagueofangel

Very sad dad

Dave Grohl's nice guy schtick seems phony to me.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]

I agree it's unfair to voice actors

21. Morrissey

Trusted

Lindsay Ellis actually did a whole video on this. It started with Robin Williams and Aladdin. Before that you had a lot of people who would specialize in voice work.

22. plagueofangel

Very sad dad

Plus voice acting is a different skill set than regular acting. A lot of screen actors can just be kinda...not great animated. Look at Peter Dinklage in his game roles. He sucked despite being a good actor.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  23. plagueofangel

Very sad dad

I forgot about that video! They really kinda screwed Williams over to, no? Like they had a verbal or contractual agreement based on using him to promote the movie.

24. phaynes12

is this courtney love

plagueofangel and cshadows2887 like this.
  25. plagueofangel

Very sad dad

Do I look like I have Kurt Cobains blood on my hands?

Ayy yooooooooo...

But nah, I just don't like Grohl for some reason. Completely irrational, I know. I mean, the Foo Fighters suck, but that's another thing.