Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 113

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

69BE13B9-AC51-4491-B979-B190C18C3716.jpeg

2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

When it first came out I thought austin powers 2 was hilarious

20 years later its just as bad as the 3rd.

My biggest gripe is dr evil. Dr evil was so much more grounded, acting like a villain doing tropes, which was hilarious. In the sequels they relied soooooo much on catch phrases, dr evil trying to be hip by referencing pop culture and it falls flat. Plus them trying to recreate jokes a second time is pretty rough. "Zip it" is quite a chore to watch now.

The first is still amazing

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

that’s my same thinking. Plus the celebrity cameos in Goldmember is just too distracting.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The Tom Cruise reveal was funny but it yeah it got way too much. I definitelty thought the 2nd and 3rd were better as a kid but the 1st is the only one worth revisiting as an adult

Zilla and waking season like this.
  5. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

That’s just most comedy sequels - relying on callbacks to jokes from the original

CarpetElf and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Comedy sequels rarely are good, because it does rely on reusing the same jokes but now they’re more exaggerated to compensate.

7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I actually think Gold member has way more new stuff in it than the second movie

8. DarkHotline

They’re basically the same movie. Both revolve around Austin going back in time to get something he needs or wants.

9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah but the dad stuff

10. DarkHotline

The dad bit is basically the mojo but it’s something he wants instead

11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Both Wayne’s World movies >

Zilla, Jake Gyllenhaal and JRGComedy like this.
  12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Cross the T’s, and dot the.................lowercase j’s.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show.

14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

My ex and I used to quote, “I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...” all the time, haha

Cameron and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  15. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The only comedy sequel I can think of that improves on the original? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Wayne's World 2 is on par though.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I like Wayne’s World 2 and 22 Jump Street.

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

22 Jump Street I think might be funnier than the first

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

neighbors 2 has that argument as well

trevorshmevor and JRGComedy like this.
  19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Need to see that^

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Hot Shots Part Deux

21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Agreed

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

I may have had this discussion in this thread before but I agree comedy sequels usually don’t work, especially if it comes like a decade after the original (Anchorman 2, Dumb & Dumber To, Super Troopers 2). The one exception for me is I still like Clerks 2. People here have also cited 22 Jump Street but I was never really a big fan of either of those two movies.

supernovagirl likes this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

If they let me cut about 35 minutes out of Anchorman 2, it would be a lot better. Some solid jokes in there

Colby Searcy and trevorshmevor like this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Definitely better than the original even though that one is great, too.

25. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Gremlins 2 got the sequel idea right. Use the same premise but make a different *kind* of movie