Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unpopular Entertainment Opinions • Page 110

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are genuinely great films and I would say the same about Baby Driver. So three out of five, considering I haven't seen Fistful, is statistically impressive.If you add Scott Pilgrim, which I would, that's four out of five.

Also, speaking of his TV shows, people love Spaced which I hear about all the time. I thought it was pretty good.

2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

sure, after i've seen scott pilgrim 50 times..maybe i dont laugh as much. but the first 40 times, easily one of my favorite movies ever. I think it's perfect.

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

All the band/music related stuff in Scott Pilgrim kills me.
    "All our shows are secret shows."

4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I absolutely love both Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver lol

SpyKi and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That's because you have good taste

tdlyon likes this.
  6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The books were better but Scott Pilgrim is really good. Not up to the Cornetto trilogy but lots of good stuff in it.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I can't stand Scott Pilgrim. I haven't read the book(s?), but the whole plot is really toxic. I've argued with others about this, but that movie is quite gross in several ways.

GrantCloud and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hot fuzz
    sean of the dead
    scott pilgrim
    worlds end
    baby driver

i am pretty excited for last night in soho though

9. Nathan

It’s about how toxic and shitty he is. Sure there are people who misread it but it’s not an endorsement of Scott’s behavior

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I feel like it's worth noting that being rewatchable isn't necessarily the only metric of quality.

A movie provoking a strong initial reaction is artistically valid, too. A lot of horror movies don't really work for me once you know where the scares are, but that doesn't mean they're not good. And some comedy gets by on surprising you and subverting your expectations, and obviously you lose some of that a second time.

So if you liked a movie the first time, it's fine to call it a good movie.

11. Ken May 21, 2020
    (Last edited: May 21, 2020)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

It's very easy to argue that he's portrayed positively by the end, at least in the movie. Scott Pilgrim is forgiven, given a second chance, and ultimately redeemed. He actually earns the "power of self-respect" lol.

Yet if Sex Bob-Omb were a real band, he'd be canceled by this very community for being a 22 year old in a position of power who dated a minor.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I watched it last night for the first time in forever and Wallace is kinda predatory and lecherous too and the stuff with Roxy isn't great

GrantCloud and Ken like this.
  13. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

that's what that movie is about? jfc

14. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Shitty people can't ever redeem themselves? That's a few thousand movies in the trash then.

He literally had no self-respect, in the movie's own estimation. That's not a hero.

Vase Full Of Rocks and CarpetElf like this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

All the video game imagery and references in Scott Pilgrim reminded me of how I felt when I first saw the trailer for Juno. It felt mechanically engineered to hit my pleasure centers; the star of my favorite show (at the time) was in it, the soundtrack used The Moldy Peaches (a band that influenced me when I played in a band), and I had liked Thank You For Smoking. I felt used when I saw the movie, my own subculture commercialized and used against me.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Gotta hear Tetra’s twee folk band

17. Nathan

Yes that’s the arc of his character. I think the books do a bit better job of earning it to be fair but about the last thing worth considering when watching a movie is if we would “cancel” the character if they were real

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I really wanted to like Raging Bull but Jake is fucking cancelled

19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

when a movie features a person who is not good, it must explicitly say THIS PERSON IS NOT GOOD AND THEIR BEHAVIOR SHOULD NOT BE EMULATED across the screen, otherwise the movie is being irresponsible

20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The movie shows him failing and dying by trying the “wrong” kind of redemption attempt and then literally restarts and the first thing he does is own up to all his shitty behavior

21. Nathan

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

y’all say you like the sopranos but have you considered that tony would be cancelled in a second in 2020? checkmate

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

We weren’t ready Patrick

24. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I love Scott Pilgrim.

I did not, however, enjoy Baby Driver.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I can see how reading the books would improve the depth of his character and shine better light on his arc. I'm not saying Scott being a giant asshole is what made me hate the movie, I'm saying that's what made his redemption at the end feel out of place and turned me off from the film. Perhaps I should have clarified that better in my initial remarks.

I see that some people are running with taking my comments out of context, but that's not surprising.