Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Unexpected Door Knocks and Calls

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by omgrawr, Sep 8, 2016.

1. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

A bit ago at 10pm my time, somebody rang our doorbell three times. Given the time of day, it creeped out my wife and me. Actually answering the door didn't even cross my mind as an option lol.

What's your policy when it comes to unexpected visitors or unexpected phone calls? I feel like the feeling about them these days is a lot different than it probably was even just 10 or 15 years ago.

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've seen this posted on Facebook like 100 times. It's true though.

If someone rang my doorbell at 10 p.m. right now, my wife and I would be TERRIFIED.

omgrawr likes this.
  3. Ken Sep 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 9, 2016)
    Ken

entrusted Prestigious

This happened to my Mom a few days ago. Someone came to her house at around 9:30 pm and knocked three times on the front door and that was it. She said they knocked so hard it shook the front of the house. She called the police and waited.

I had someone try to break into my house while I was home. I was waking up in the morning around 10 am when it happened. Freaked me the fuck out. Found out later my neighbor was robbed.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

ignore them they're scammers or murderers or murderous scammers

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My neighborhood actually has its own private Facebook group, so anytime something weird happens someone will post about it and all the neighbors will see it. It's good for awareness and people look out for each other. They'll point out if people have left their garage doors open, of if they see suspicious people walking/driving around. Makes me feel a little safer.

6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Ding dong ditch never died.

7. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

My mom knocked once on my door and walked right in one time.

I flipped out on her. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, but if I'm living alone and I'm not expecting someone to come over, don't just open my door. :/

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

It's crazy how many stories like that there are. Glad your mom is OK and you didn't get robbed. I still have no idea who came by last night so late, there wasn't anything left on the doorstep or anything like that.

I just hope it doesn't keep happening.

Ken likes this.
  9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Treat it like the ending of a Mr. Robot episode and take five minutes getting to the door, then opening it with my mouth agape.

NotBruce likes this.
  10. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I just ignore them. If I am in a part of the house where they could see me, I'll turn the lights off and hope they get the hell away fast.

lish likes this.
  11. lish

I do this when the guy who mows my lawn comes by. Talking to him is super awkward and I don't like it. So I turn my lights off and just sit in the dark. :|

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Have you considered the possibility that he sees you turning off your lights and is thus considering stopping your lawn service?

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I don't answer the phone unless it is a number I know or I'm expecting something from a certain area code. I'm not home enough to get bothered by the doorbell, thank god.

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I honestly couldn't imagine answering a phone call that wasn't already saved in my contact list. I even do the same with my office phone. If I don't recognize the number, I'll let the voicemail get it.

15. lish

Yeah, I don't answer the phone unless I know who is calling. Tbh a lot of the calls I get are from bill collectors looking for my parents and they don't leave messages. It's a good time.

16. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I answer the door, invite them in, and ask if they'd like some tea or if they'd rather just get straight to the killing.

Carmensaopaulo and lish like this.
  17. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

When I was a kid my dad got off work at midnight. I stayed up one night to see him when he came home. someone knocked on the door around midnight and I wasn't thinking, assumed it was him, and opened the door and went back to the living room. Except there were no footsteps behind me so I turned around and it was a rando man standing in the doorway lol.

I still just open the door if someone knocks. In movies they always ask who it is, even in the day time, but I'd never think to do that unless it was late. tho if it was late I'd probably ignore it and hoped it went away ha

18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Never answer the door or phone unless I know who it is. Don't care what time of day it is.

19. NotBruce

Regular

I live in an apartment so it's a lot weirder to get knocks on the door. I go through that whole "who the fuck is that/shut off the lights/don't move or breathe or blink" process. My damn dog going absolutely bananas doesn't help. Usually it's people trying to sell me on switching electricity providers or shampoo my carpets.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

This is the only post this thread needed.

21. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm going to ring your doorbell late at night.

22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

FUck

Ken likes this.
  23. These stories make me so glad that I live in an area where I don't even have to lock my doors.

That being said, when I'm at home I'm also lucky that I can easily see who is standing at my front door (but they can't see me) from my approach to the door from my living room.

24. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

If anyone ever range my doorbell at night time, I would have to lay down on the living room floor solid snake style gun drawn.

Letterbomb31, omgrawr and Brenden like this.