Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underrated/underappreciated vocalists

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, May 26, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Who are some vocalists you think are underappreciated, and why? Are they underrated due to the type of music they make, the band they're in, or having an unusual vocal style?

For me, Myke Terry (formerly of Bury Your Dead) is a vocalist who can do it all, from guttural screams to soaring, dramatic cleans. He also put out a pop/R&B EP last year that was very underrated imo. I thought of him again today after hearing a rumor that he's joining a pretty notable band... I don't want to spread misinformation in case it's not true, but I'll just say I sincerely hope it IS true.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  2. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I know his work is popular within the progressive metal community, but I'm surprised Daniel Tompkins' work hasn't blown up on a larger scale. He brings such a clean style to the genre and makes it more accessible for the mainstream.

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

@beachdude42 I never knew he did this. I like it a lot.

beachdude42 likes this.
  4. beachdude

Yeah he's branched out quite a bit with his solo stuff. I just got basically confirmation of his new band which I'm not a HUGE fan of, but they'll definitely get him a lot more exposure, so I'm happy about that.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  5. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace. His falsetto on their earlier albums is unrivaled.

6. beachdude

Bradley Walden of Emarosa. He came into the band with really high expectations with Jonny Craig having so much raw vocal talent, and lived up to pretty much all of them. He's not as well-known as Craig yet, but he's way more versatile.

7. thewmaynes

http://johnnymainstream.bandcamp.com

I was going to post this. Our Lady Peace doesn't get the love that they deserve!

bd007h likes this.
  8. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

So true. They are my favorite band.

9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I saw him open for Tilian in January and he's an absolutely amazing performer. Incredible voice that does not disappoint live, larger than life stage presence, and not only did he look like he was having the time of his life but his set put a big smile on my face despite never having heard of him before. He also did an amazing cover of Come As You Are (I'm a huge Nirvana fan and a tough critic). For sure one of the most memorable opening acts I've seen, if not the most.

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. beachdude

I'll message you with some info about what he's doing next... don't want to post it publicly because it's still not public knowledge even though the info's kind of been floating around the last few days.

11. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Man, came here to post about Bradley. Insanely talented vocalist.

beachdude42 likes this.
  12. beachdude

Woo!! Have you heard the new Emarosa songs yet? Two officially released and another one leaked out a couple days ago... all really great.

13. GetUpAndrew

Helpless and Cloud 9 are both magnificent tracks, and Bradley really kills it on both songs. Haven't listened yet to the leaked tune you mentioned above. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to 131, I bet it's gonna be huge.

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. beachdude

The song that leaked is "Miracle", it's fantastic. So epic sounding, the hook is soaring and excellent. I can send it to you if you want.

GetUpAndrew likes this.
  15. GetUpAndrew

Yes, please!

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

john robert cardwell is probs my favorite vocalist ever. he sang on half of the old sslyby stuff (pre-fly by wire)