Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 13, 2016.

1. goddamn, this legitimately gave me chills. I feel like no matter how old I get this is one band I will be in the pit no matter what, at least for certain songs. that "drowning in my sleep" part in Dangerous Business just makes me feel 16 again haha

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Yup. I was telling my friend this morning (I'm under the assumption they're gonna open with Young and Aspiring and go chronological), "The instant 'SO LET'S NOT EVEN TRY' bursts from his lips, I'm gonna regress to a 16 year old." I feel like such an old person, but I'm gonna have to hydrate and take ibuprofen before this thing even starts.

scott likes this.
  3. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I can't wait to watch that video later today.

4. Garrett

A friend of mine is at the first stop of the tour tonight. They are doing them chronologically and album order. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

The fact that Down, Set, Go is just now being played live is crazy. The climax of that song is so awesome and a great performance moment live.

6. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

One song I would truly want to know the "why" behind why they never played it live.

7. Garrett

I've seen live videos of them playing it in 2004. I truly think they just kinda forgot they did that.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  8. Deathco_019

Drummer

I am trying to go to this tour, if only because Caspian is opening. But I do enjoy DTGL. Disambiguation is just easily their best for me because of their plunge into that atmospheric metalcore sound and dropping the pop tendencies that Aaron would obviously bring to the table.

9. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Their Dallas stop got eaten up by a shitty scene festival. I wanna see them but I don't want to overpay to see them play at a baseball field with bad sound and a bunch of bands I don't care about

10. Michael Schmidt Mar 18, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 18, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I know there is a debate about which is better, the pop tendencies or the heavier direction, but I think the mix of pop elements with a heavier backdrop was what differentiated their music initially. I think Underoath made heavier music accessible for people that did not grow up on Master of Puppets or Vulgar Display of Power. So, to be able to be a gateway band of sorts is what I will associate this band with for a long time. That said, as someone who was already into heavy music, I understood their desire to move away from a sound they helped create. There were so many bands trying to go for that sound and just not doing it nearly as good.

11. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

been listening to TOCS and DTGL on my runs and its baffling how bad the songwriting structure on TOCS is. such a mess.

12. Tyler

Regular Supporter

Seeing them tomorrow night. Gonna feel like I'm 18 again when Young and Aspiring hits.

Garrett L. likes this.
  13. I'm going to the show in SLC on Saturday. So stoked!

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Deathco_019

Drummer

The Caspian setlist looks fucking tight.

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I've been on a huge Underoath kick lately. I think DTGL is my favorite of theirs. Need to listen to their more recent two a bit more though

16. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Lost in the Sound of Separation > Define the Great Line > ø (Disambiguation) > They're Only Chasing Safety > The Changing of Times > Act of Depression > Cries of the Past

LITSOS is this band's masterpiece, that nails the perfect mixture between heavy and pop that it seems they were trying for on DTGL. When you have songs like "Breathing in a New Mentality" and "Emergency Broadcast" there's honestly nobody else in this metalcore scene that has even come close to their songwriting.

GettingSodas likes this.
  17. thevheissu

that's not how the force works Prestigious

Saw on reddit that UO is selling t-shirts for $30. Anyone else see that?

teebs41 likes this.
  18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

That is true

19. JordanKTM

@jordanmohler @killthemusictv killthemusic.net Prestigious

Disambiguation was clearly influenced by White Pony/Diamond Eyes era Deftones which is why it's so damn good

teebs41 likes this.
  20. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

Posting to follow the thread

21. celluloid dreams

Regular

Watching the live videos from this tour is so much fun. I haven't been this into They're Only Chasing Safety in years.

I hope Disambiguation songs aren't out of the question for future tours, but it's really hard to complain about these sets.

22. coleslawed Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2016)
    coleslawed

Eat Pizza

definitely agree with this. gonna go to this tour for sure, too, but there will be zero hesitation if a LITSOS anniversary tour goes down.

teebs41 and Jake Denning like this.
  23. Jake Denning

@Jake_Denning Prestigious

Correct. Double vinyl is $40. Hoodie was $45.

24. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Went to this tour last night. If you're on the fence about going for some reason, you should definitely go. They sounded amazing, it's like they never stopped. And Spencer sounded so good.

25. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Spencer is easily one of the best screamers just in terms of live performance. Sounds almost exactly like the record.