Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Underoath (stylized as Underøath or UnderOath) is an American Christian post-hardcore band from Tampa, Florida. Founded by Dallas Taylor and Luke Morton on November 30, 1997, in Ocala, Florida, subsequently its additional members were from Tampa, Florida.

2. Their show tonight looks like it went off pretty well.

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Are they still together or are these anniversary or reunion shows?

4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

They're supposed to be reunion shows... from what I understand the band has basically said they're gonna see how things go and decide as they go if they want to do more shows, record new music, etc.

iplaydrums likes this.
  5. beachdude

Heard from someone who went to the show tonight that Aaron was apparently rude to fans and outright ignored people who tried to talk to him/shake his hand. Kinda disappointing but it doesn't seem to be anything new for him, from what people have said over the years he can be hit or miss in terms of friendliness to fans.

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Every time I've interacted with Aaron he's been great, but I've also heard about the rudeness before.

So excited for this tour.

Unrelated to the tour, but as I finished listening to DTGL today, LITSOS began and I just kept it playing. And for an album I know every word to, it finally "clicked" today. This band means quite a bit to me, and most people don't really get it.

7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Their discography is so damn strong. We can debate album order, but for me, I think everything with Spencer is really good. I like their album before Safety too, but Spencer is just better as a frontman.

GettingSodas and beachdude42 like this.
  8. Cannot wait for the reunion tour. Their farewell show is one of my all time favorite shows. Such a powerful live band.

9. beachdude

I definitely still think Disambiguation is their best, partly because they got weirder/darker and partly because Spencer's cleans were just PERFECT.

10. Garrett

I'm in the Define The Great Line is their best crowd like many others (including most of the band, if you hear them talk about their work).

11. Sophos

Regular

i cant decide if i want to go to the show. lost in the sound and disambiguation are the only two underoath records that carry any emotional weight with me these days, and i think the best band line up was the one on disambiguation. i truly think the band was better off without aaron. i enjoy define the great line for what it is, tocs is okay and pretty fun as well, but idk. i saw them headline on the disambiguation tour, that was enough for me i think. i dont want to ruin my memories of this band, because while my personal experience with their music varies wildly with their core fan base (cant think of many other people who hold disambiguation with the regard i do in terms of both nostalgia and musicality), it's still MY experience.

GettingSodas and Michael Schmidt like this.
  12. Garrett

@Jake Jenkins -- I think this may be one of those shows where even if the connection isn't there, it may be one of those things where you may want to be like "Yeah, I was there." If that makes any sense? We've seen quite a few reunion tours lately, but there just seems to be this underlying buzz that this one may end up being truly special and legendary in this scene of music. I don't know, I'll fully admit these two albums they're playing are in the foundation of my musical life.

This'll be my eleventh time seeing them. I saw them 7 times with Aaron, and 3 without, and they truly put on a show at a different level than most bands I ever saw live. The best of those for me was probably Aaron's last tour (didn't know that at the time), which I think was the second LITSOS tour.

13. Sophos

Regular

theres that and also if this turns out to extend beyond just some shows and they put out more music, im obviously going to be excited, so it'll be cool to say i was there when they got back together. i may end up going if i can get a ticket and someone to go with.

teebs41 and Garrett L. like this.
  14. Garrett

And it really seems like this is pointing to new music. I listened to both of their interviews with BadChristian, and then both Aaron and Spencer did a Lead Singer Syndrome, and I just have this feeling this is only going to spark that again.

I saw a video of their secret show last night and skinny Chris Dudley really through me off.

15. Michael Schmidt

I selfishly just want this band back in some capacity haha

GettingSodas and Garrett L. like this.
  16. Michael Schmidt

In a local Tampa interview, Spencer confirmed they will write new music, which is a step from what they were saying before. Underoath's Spencer Chamberlain talks about breaking up, reuniting, making new music and more

17. Sophos

Regular

spencer is probably all for it since sleepwave was a massive flop. thought that record was quite poorly done.

GettingSodas likes this.
  18. Garrett

I was born/raised in Tampa, so this band was always more in the sense that they were "local" even though I was getting into them right as they went global in a massive way.

As long as Spencer, Timmy, and Aaron can sit down and write together, I have high hopes.

Just kinda realized I never checked out that Sleepwave album. But I loved those two songs Underoath released right before they broke up, I think "Unsound" was my favorite. Wouldn't be opposed if they pursued that sort of endeavor.

19. Michael Schmidt Mar 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

I agree on Sleepwave. I never got into it either. He did say he was planning to record a new Sleepwave album in May with a release of this year on Lead Singer Syndrome.

Edit: It will be interesting in seeing their plans change after these shows. They were downplaying things in interviews, but we're already starting to see more and more with the secret show and plans to write.

20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I'd like to see them back together. I don't like Disambiguation at all, but the 3 with Aaron and Spencer are still really good

21. Sophos

Regular

personally i'll take daniel davisons drumming over aaron's. i mean aaron is a truly talented drummer but daniel's style meshed better with the direction spencer wanted to take the band. also, aaron's pop tendencies dragged down some parts of lost in the sound and define the great line for me. i was never the biggest fan of his voice. on disambiguation, i think spencer handles both screaming and singing duties better than anyone could have predicted, plus his lyrics reached a new height, and i wanna assume its because he had complete control.

not to say whatever they do now with aaron back wont be great. just listing some reasons why disambiguation was a better record for me. them being together in any capacity is obviously great, as ive said. and davison is in every time i die now so its not like he can join underoath anyway

22. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I think the mixture of the pop into this (imo) very accomplished metal is what gave them a really unique draw for me. It's a weird hybrid, sure, but that's what makes it distinctive

Garrett L. likes this.
  23. Sophos

Regular

it never really clicked for me which is why it took them going full on ambient metal with disambiguation for me to really pay attention. i think its still a very distinctive record and is above their peers in that time's metalcore scene

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

I like to live in a world where Underoath is not metalcore haha. When I hear that term, I have negative connatation attached it. Bands like Underoath and ETID just don't belong with the OM&M and bands of that ilk.

RobbieBerns likes this.
  25. Garrett

When the crowd started in with "In Regards To Myself" (3:45 or so) I feel like my "this is gonna be really special" was insanely justified. Also love that they still opened with "Breathing."