Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath on the Rock Sound Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Are any of the Christian kids keeping track of how many times there’s a swear?

3. David-

Trusted

Swearing isn't that big of a deal to most Christians.

BEsterley, coleslawed and paperlung like this.
  4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I don’t know, man. From what Spencer has said they’re getting a ton of pushback. Personally I don’t care. But if he is talking about it on Twitter there has to be quite a few people that think it’s a big deal!

5. David-

Trusted

Seriosuly? Huh. Almost all my Christian friends swear. Just from personal experience it didn't seem like it'd be a huge deal!

6. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I've seen some comments from Christians on social media saying that they will no longer listen to the band.

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Eye rolling so hard. Not at you but at those judgemental Christians. Good riddance, I say.

Anyways, this was a great interview with tons of insight. I’m beyond excited for this record.

coleslawed and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  8. David-

Trusted

That's insane to me...

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  9. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I remember seeing a similar backlash (although on a much, much smaller scale) when that guy from The Chariot said "Oh my God" in one of his songs.

10. bakin

It's interesting. A band like BMTH or Fictional Band XYZ can totally change their sound on a follow up.. and when someone says "this isn't for me", it's "that's cool". But when a Christian says they aren't interested in listening to a band anymore due to lyrical content, or their image, or, I dunno, them saying they aren't Christians anymore, it's "lol those judgemental Christians". I don't get it.... who's really the one judging here?

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

If someone says they refuse to listen to a band they once loved because they used one swear word to convey an emotion- then I definitely laugh at them because that is not the same as saying “it’s just not for me”. Like I said; good riddance.

12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I know some very devout christians in my area, ones I really respect, and they have cursed every now and then. Not like a sailor but they do it too. It's silly to think you can't swear if you are christian.

BEsterley, mattylikesfilms and Jake W like this.
  13. bakin

Why? Movies or music or books with swear words or other content that could be considered offensive; it's not for me, and not for a lot of folks. You laugh at those people? Dang, lol.

Also, my original intent was to point out this sort of bridge you made between someone saying they won't listen to a band, and being judgemental. Kind of unfair to make that kind of leap. If someone is up in arms and protesting and causing a ruckus, then great, but to immediately jump to calling an entire group of people judgemental and (symbolically) laughing at them? A little...harsh?

14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think your points are fair, and I can empathize having for a long time avoided swearing (it really annoyed people that I wouldn't submit to pressure to). But, I think there's a difference then between someone saying that a new song that they released with a swear word isn't for them, and deciding a band and their entire discography is no longer for them because of one new song has a swear word. It seems like an extreme reaction for someone to swear off a band entirely because of them swearing once (I don't mean to imply you are - I'm speaking more broadly).

15. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Found it interesting that James and Grant didn't record on the new album, it was only Aaron, Chris, Spencer, and Tim with them consulting Grant and James.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Did they say why? I'd assume work or family commitments?

17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

they said those four were the only ones who actually wrote and did most of the performances on other records, so they streamlined things by not having James & Grant in the studio this time. could have been a scheduled thing, too, but their reasoning makes sense either way.