Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath Offer Feelings and Stances on Christianity • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 24, 2018.

1. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

All these posts have me excited to watch this video. I’m also surprised, yet not really tooo suprised, at all the people raised catholic (as was I) who jumped shit entirely and turned atheist. I for one didn’t agree, and continue not to, with most organized religion, however, there is an unexplainable higher power that find comfort in.

At any rate, this has been my favorite thread in a long time. Didn’t start my morning amassed by negativity and such. :)

2. efp722

Regular

100% agree with your reply. This dude just landed on the other side of the fence. Plenty of people straddle the line until they land in either camp- atheism or a more flexible, open-mindedness version of faith.

3. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I'll never forget that 06' Warped Tour date in Ventura. UO comes out preaching the entire set. NOFX comes out right after and Fat Mike goes, "We're NOFX and I just did cocaine with that christian singer before his set."

Brent, mattylikesfilms and GEM37 like this.
  4. chilllll

Regular

lolol he deff didnt do cocaine with fat mike. it wouldve been epic but multiple counts from different people there can prove that. thanks to the tooth and nail podcast i know way too much about that fucking situation lol

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

8TjxGGP-qOs3QwCFkyYBrTRSp31_R9Y1AadQGpObQ84.jpg

Lol add me to the formerly catholic now atheist camp, tho tbh I was never devoted or into the faith at all. It was just kinda something I had to go to until I didnt anymore.

6. currytheword Jul 25, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2018)
    currytheword

Trusted

I had a cousin and multiple friends take their own lives and I refuse to back any concept of thought that deems them murderers and condemned to “hell” to suffer more. They suffered enough, and they didn’t know they were loved and how much they’d be missed. I couldn’t hope for anything more than to know that they are anything but suffering now.

The concept of religion has always felt cultish to me, and I wish we as a species had the ability to shake the beliefs passed down from history. To allow ourselves to believe in ourselves enough to know you don’t need “faith” in anything but yourself. You don’t make the good/successful things happen in your life because you’re paying the tolls of a religion, because you think you’ve done good by some higher power who’s watching. They happen because you make them. The bad is circumstantial, happening all over the world at all times. We persevere because we can and want to, not because we’re supported by some entity allowing it. The human brain doesn’t wish to accept this because we were raised very young to have it imprinted on us as an actual part of life.

Upon taking a holistic health course in college that I didn’t expect to be anything more than a credit to me, I had my eyes opened to a lot about the human brain, spiritual energy, etc. I was educated on things I just didn’t expect to learn about or even really knew existed that people believed in. While I don’t necessarily lean heavily into it, it was a positive experience and that’s probably the extent of my otherworldly belief.

morken likes this.
  7. Pooch

Regular

We get it. You aren't a Christian band anymore

Brent likes this.
  8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

lol yessssss

9. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Then don't watch the video. I'm sure that huge percentage of their fanbase, or possibly former fanbase, has been asking for them to explain themselves and their stances on the religion they used to preach. I can't imagine being cynical enough to give them shit for explaining themselves in this way.

10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I enjoyed the video. Underoath is one of my favorite bands so I enjoy hearing what the personal faiths of Aaron and Spencer are.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don’t know what there is for him to answer to. From this interview his faith seems to remain in tact with him looking into the traditional early church or maybe only scripture for his faith while giving up on modern/American Christianity. Being that a lot of the mainstream Christian music scene is built by modern/American Christianity it would be a natural for him to detach himself from it. The only sad part is that any criticism of the modern church causes others to think that person is questioning their own Christian beliefs.

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I am a man who has faith and got sober through a spiritual god but this is an incredible analogy.

13. zachmacD Jul 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2018)
    zachmacD

Trusted

I get your point but this might be the 4th of 5th time there's been a video posted of them bashing Christianity. I get it if they keep getting asked about it but it almost seems like a gimmick at this point. I agree with everything they said but after them profiting off of the Christian music industry for so long, they are really shitting on it like someone mentioned above.

I used to be very religious growing up and when I lost my faith, it was heartbreaking. I had a pretty tough childhood and my faith was the only thing they kept me going at times. When I no longer could ignore inconsistencies and I lost my faith, it felt like a break up. My whole thought process was different and I felt like I got lied to my entire life. I only bring this up because I get that they are bitter and it's not like I don't get that this is a big deal for them and their fans. But it just seems like they are using it for exposure or something.

Pooch likes this.
  14. i hope they keep speaking out against christianity and organized religion as a whole. the more people that open their eyes and mind to how fucked up it all can be the better. bring on more videos!

15. zachmacD Jul 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2018)
    zachmacD

Trusted

honestly I don't know if this is helping. We already know Christians are judgmental so if I was a Christian (and I used to be), I wouldn't listen to someone who has a problem with drugs. That sounds messed up (and it is) but I'd look to someone who's healthy and successful.

The way that most people go about trying to sway people away from Christianity is shit talking and it's not usually done in a respectful way. Growing up in a religious household, hearing/seeing people making fun of Christians, calling them idiots, and pointing out all of the terrible things about Christianity didn't sway me. All it did was turn me off and made me think those people were angry and unhappy. Now that I'm older and no longer Christian, I realize that most of that anger is justified but you don't see it that way when you're in it. It wasn't until I became educated and started doing my own research that my faith started to fall apart.

When you're harshly criticizing the very foundation that someone's whole life is built on, they are going to dig their heels in. Most people are like that, not just those that are religious. I'm not saying you've never had faith, but someone who's raised agnostic, atheist, or as a "holidays only" type catholic and will have hard time understanding what having a faith based life is like which makes it hard to rationalize with those who are.

Anyway, I'm pretty passionate about this topic and I think teaching your kids religion is brainwashing and in many cases could be considered child abuse so I'm not trying to stick up for Christianity at all. I just think we as a society could go about criticizing religion in a more tactful way.

Edit: After thinking a little bit more about it, I do think it's important for those who used to be Christian such as Spenser and maybe Aaron, speak out about Christianity. I'm not sure how much influence they have over their fans but I can see how if I was Christian and my favorite Christian band started speaking out against it, I may consider it.

Or I would just think that they gave in to the temptations of the world OR they were never actually Christians. As someone who was raised in a Christian household, I've been taught all of the ways Christians rationalize criticism even if it's from someone who used to be Christian. I'm aware that I'm being judgmental but I can see where it looks like a band passed it's prime is speaking out against religion to stay relevant. I do feel like I've heard more about them no longer being a Christian band than I have about the new album or their touring schedule. but I do get it

16. Pooch

Regular

ok, buddy. this is like the 4th video/interview of them explaining the same shit. its repetitive and gimmicky

17. Pooch

Regular

i should have read this before responding to the other guy