Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath - Erase Me (April 6, 2018) Album • Page 177

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Normally I don't either, but I don't trust this band to be that interesting if they keep getting more simplistic in the songwriting. Hooks have to be there for that style to work.

2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Did any one go to their tours with Breaking Benjamin and Korn and how people liked them? Also, what songs did they play? I think it’s great they stepped into a new market and opening for some of these bigger bands.

Davjs likes this.
  3. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Moving forward I’d love to see less structured songs. The verse chorus verse formula gets repetitive. No Frame is a great example of where I’d love for them to head towards in terms of sound and then On My Teeth, Sink with You, Start Somewhere, and Hold Your Breath are the type of energy I’d love to see continue forward.

Despite the criticism they’ve received on this album, their live shows are at peak performance. Overall presence and energy has not faded whatsoever. Really excited for the next phase in a couple years.

4. Davjs

Trusted

Mostly EM songs, but they pulled out Hold Your Breath!

Underoath Setlist at TaxSlayer Center, Moline

EDIT: This is for the Breaking Benjamin tour. I don't know if the KoRn tour has started yet, has it? For KoRn I'd assume they could play some heavier stuff.

mattylikesfilms and Nate_Johnson like this.
  5. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

No frame is too 5-10 for me. Adore that song.

I didn’t like sleepwave and I think some of that carried over to the “poppier” songs.
    Spencer is an OK singer and I don’t think Aaron can carry a whole track. His sound has aged a lot for me.

If they aren’t going to be “metalcore heavy” that’s fine.

But when I think underoath experimentation, I think layers, texture, electronics, vocal effects and maybe some out of the box instruments.

Going more pop forward is an “experiment” for them that will garner them way more fans, but if that’s the direction they continue to explore, I’ll continue to be luke warm on it.

Micah511 and disambigujason like this.
  6. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Also strangely the bridge in almost every track is rad.
    Especially the ones that lead into the different timed 3rd chorus/verse.

Def reminds me of thrice where I don’t like a song very much then love 30-45 seconds of it.

7. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

beachdude, Davjs and SaveTheEarth like this.
  8. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

9. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

yeah Loneliness being one of the dopest tracks on here is known.

latortuga and airik625 like this.
  10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

looks like they're releasing a deluxe version with acoustic tracks. getting a video for loneliness would be pretty sweet.

DesolateEarth, beachdude and Davjs like this.
  11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

8/2 release date.

beachdude likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

This is a really great version

13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Easily one of my favorites on the album

Davjs likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I know we all love "Loneliness" but anyone else think "Another Life" is a banger?

It integrates the pop sound with a heavier instrumental in a really creative way, love it

latortuga and disambigujason like this.
  15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I like it a lot but skip it more than I used to. Agreed it is pretty creative.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms Oct 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 22, 2019)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I watched the Erase Me documentary, “Get Over It”, again last night so I put the record on this morning and... I still love it. The one song I wish they removed was “Wake Me” and slipped “Loneliness” somewhere in there instead.

Regardless, like I said - I love this record.

I hope they start recording for the next album soon.

17. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Yeah I'd say this album has held up pretty well. Which seems to be a minority opinion since every YouTube and Facebook comment section is just a whole bunch of people shitting on it nonstop for not being Define The Great Line/They're Only Chasing Safety 2: Electric Boogaloo

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I could understand this (to a degree) if Underoath went straight pop like BMTH but no. Even the poppier tracks on Erase Me are still pretty damn heavy.

Disambiguation is my favorite record of theirs but I still don't want them to revisit that sound if it's not going to be natural for them to do so. Especially if it won't make them creatively satisfied.

beachdude likes this.
  19. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I view Erase Me as Underoath trying on their favorite pop sensibilities to find their footing again before pushing the envelope. Granted, it’s still experimental on the heavier parts of the record for them even.

VCargo08 likes this.
  20. DesolateEarth

Birb

It's not even really that poppy of an album. You dont really see music like this getting mainstream exposure anymore.

21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

It's really not and you're sadly correct about mainstream exposure.

Hence why they are going on tour with bands like KoRn.

beachdude and DesolateEarth like this.
  22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Apparently they are preparing to go into the studio. What elements from Erase Me would people like to be kept and which elements would people like to see erased/mixed up?

I really liked the atmospherics/keys that Chris did so I would love to hear that expanded on even more. More screaming would be nice but I enjoy Spencer’s singing so hopefully a more middle ground between the two.

23. sukottokairu

Regular

i want to hear some more variety in spencer's screams this time. i felt like his screams, although they sounded good, were a bit generic on erase me. i hope he goes back to some of the weirder in between screaming/singing type stuff he used to do on define the great line.

beachdude and justin. like this.
  24. Idk to be honest. Less blatant radio rocky stuff. Looser song structures instead of relying constantly on the verse - chorus formula.

VCargo08, Lucas27, Contender and 5 others like this.
  25. That's been my wish since LITSOS. Always wondered if he hurt his voice by alternating this much between those screams, hence the choice to mostly go for a low to mid pitched one in the last decade.

Nate_Johnson likes this.