Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath Announce New Album; Release New Video • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 22, 2018.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love how this song seems to have brought out a few different members of the community. So many of you I’ve never chatted with but we all love this band, can’t wait to discuss their music over the coming month in anticipation of this record

Matt504 likes this.
  2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

So @Jason Tate your rumor of them in the studio in the fall may have actually just been them mixing the record then.

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

The Emery dudes are making a documentary about this very subject. There’s a Kickstarter up to help fund it I believe.

It really is a fascinating topic. Shane Blay from Oh, Sleeper was on the Labeled podcast with Matt Carter last year and talked about how he basically had to keep quiet about not being Christian for years before he finally felt comfortable enough to speak up about it. He got hit with some backlash by fans. Pretty great listen, as is just about anything Matt Carter chooses to discuss on his shows.

SuNDaYSTaR and AshlandATeam like this.
  4. really starting to love this song and it makes sense that this would be the lead single. As much as OG heads would prefer something super heavy and sludgy like Disambiguation - they can't really kick off their return from hiatus with a song like that so it makes sense that this combines a lot of their best elements from the last four albums. They are reintroducing themselves back to the fans of long as well as hoping to gain new fans that were barely tweens when the last record came out so the single choice makes perfect sense. still hoping for some sludgy weird stuff on the record however

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

is that profamity on an underoath trackkkk ooooh

my concern with their signing to Fearless is slightly realized here; that chorus is really dull imo and not reflective of their strengths. TOCS had good poppy choruses but this just feels more manufactured (looking at who's producing.... it makes sense) and the heavier parts don't kick as hard. they're the best parts of the song, but they don't feel as frantic as they used to. idk, hope this is a poppy outlier and the rest of the album goes back to their ambient punky metalcore mix they were playing around with. lyrics also aren't too great.

6. Manufactured is still a thing people say?

7. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I seriously doubt them signing with Fearless has any outcome on how the music was recorded and mixed. I’d actually bet they recorded this album first and then signed with the label.

coleslawed and Mister Lyrical like this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Not necessarily true, they used a major label producer so.. they have needed/wanted a label to front the money for that. That being said I doubt it effected the sound

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This is clearly the style of Music Spencer likes, if you listened to the sleepwave record the sound on this song shouldn’t surprise you

SuNDaYSTaR and Matt504 like this.
  10. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I’m not so sure about that. Squire hasn’t fully produced an album in quite some time. I went and checked his page to verify it.

11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh okay, impossible to know really until we are told. Might be a good interview question if they do one for the site ha

12. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I just don't hear a demonstrable difference, at all, between this and 'Lost in the Sound.' Which makes sense, since that's the last work this group has put out.

I would guess the record they made without Aaron probably has zero influence on their stuff moving forward. Aaron has such a huge, HUGE (maybe outsized) influence on things, I can't imagine they'd all say, 'oh hey, this album that we made without you? We're going to have a natural progression from the stuff you didn't have a hand in. That's the band now.'

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think people who want something that builds off of Diambiguation will be disappointed, just like the folks who were wanting a sequel to the Changing of Times were back when Spencer replaced Dallas.

13. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Spencer sounds incredibly good on this.

DeRRek likes this.
  14. DeRRek

Trusted

I like it. The drums are quality!

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

What are you talking about this single definitely has traces of disambiguation in it it's just the chorus that's nothing like that album and even then the final chorus is very disambiguation

Lots of weird assumptions in your post tbh Aaron is just one member of a what, six person band? I doubt they would throw everything they accomplished on disambiguation out the window just because one person wasn't around during that time

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  16. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Man that was so cool when he cusses. I always tried to make my Christian neighbor swear as a kid so I could use it as leverage to tattle to his grandma in case he didn’t let me borrow Twisted Metal 2

17. Ska Senanake

Trusted

3oh3 always facinates me. Remember when they were in the paper rival music video for blue bird? Lol. I did like them right when Want came out because it seemed like a fun silly catchy project, but they took it waaaay to seriously to the point of there just being guilt and no pleasure.

Mister Lyrical likes this.
  18. Tylar

Lol, couldn’t have said it any better

alexmacwilliam likes this.
  19. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Yeah, that individual interview he did with the Emery guys on Bad Christian talked a lot about his divorce, and was really detailed about why he hates the business of christian music. Gave some pretty specific examples of what he'd hear in meetings with Christian labels and the scrutiny he received from fans.

20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

There are a couple comments here saying they hope they were wishing that sounded more like that record and that it's too poppy or whatever. I was responding to those.

From everything I've ever known of Underoath, Aaron was more than 1/6 of the creative direction of the band; there was once a time where he was writing all of Spencer's lyrics, for example (and he always had a hand in the lyrics, even once Spencer started writing), and he and one of the guitarists always collaborated on the main music songwriting. So, yeah, I do assume that Underoath minus Aaron is a fundamentally different animal than Underoath with him. And I would guess we'll see more of the type of work the band had from '03-08 than we'll saw from '10. That's an assumption that could certainly be wrong, but I don't think it's particularly weird, anymore than not expecting a new blink album with Tom DeLonge on it to sound like 'California.'

That doesn't mean they throw anything away. It just means that their collective writing is, more than likely, going to be driven by Aaron like it was before, and Disambiguation wasn't.

21. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I'm happy they're back!

Your move next MCR..

Analog Drummer likes this.
  22. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Wondering what the vinyl pressing number will be like. With the exchange rate and shipping costs I'm less inclined to preorder albums anymore and prefer to wait to buy from a local store, but I don't want to risk not getting a copy if they don't do a big retail release too. Anyone have a sense how Fearless typically approaches that? I haven't many of their releases on vinyl.

23. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Unbelieveable. Although I'm not sure about relegating Aaron to basically a backup vocalist on this track.

24. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Was anybody else a little thrown off by the (very) typical song structure?

honkytonk likes this.
  25. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i mean. i think manufactured is an apt term for some music. and what i meant re Fearless was that this is one of the sounds the label is known for and i was worried with that signing that they might shift towards a sound like this. u subtweeting motherfuckers