Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath Announce New Album; Release New Video • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Analog Drummer

Regular

Hasnt hit me like a slap in the face that a lot of songs on Spencer albums 1-3 did. But so happy to have a new songs. It’s rockin either way

Edit. It’s even better and better second and third listen

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This song is a frickin slap to the weenie what u talking about

coleslawed and CAC3 like this.
  3. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Never been a big fan but I'm actually liking this one. Was surprised with the f-word. But this sounds more like Sleepwave to me than underoath.

defmytones and cosmickid like this.
  4. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

Yeah man, this bangs.

5. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Fun fact: The single download you get with the preorder is in WAV format. That's an odd choice, but happy to have it nonetheless!

6. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Ehh, as a big fan of the last one, I think this one isn't going to appeal as much, seems to have a bit less of the gravity I loved iniDisambiguation. Well, wait and see. Neat rhythm though.

Saephon likes this.
  7. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

The chorus kinda ruined it for me.

Saephon likes this.
  8. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Assuming it was intentional but zoomed out the album cover looks like a goat head. Song rips

BradBradley likes this.
  9. Saephon

Regular

Honestly not really feeling this one. It's a little too nu-metal for me haha. I'm glad theyfet back though.

wakaflockajamez likes this.
  10. defmytones

Regular

Liked this way more than I expected. Song rips. And agreed Spencer’s vocals are so damn strong now.

11. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

What a strong return. Man... Spencer sounds fantastic

12. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I'm down. not my favorite song but I'm down for the record. I was caught off guard at first at the "Fuck" word in the song. Either way looking forward to the record!

13. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Not super stoked on the tune, but very stoked on this record!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I couldn't love this more - sounds like it would have fit in perfectly on Define the Great Line or Lost in the Sound of Separation. It has everything that made classic Underoath amazing.

Somewhat related: holy crap how many of these 2000s 'Christian' bands have the same story? The whole 'we were Christians but didn't want to be marketed that way/we weren't Christians but it was marketed that way anyway/due to the way we were marketed and the toxic nature of the Christian music scene, it made us want nothing to do with anything Christian at all' thing has been told over and over and over and over again, by bands and artists big and small and across genres. As toxic as the pop-punk scene is for its reasons, there's a lot that people aren't telling about that's awful in the Christian music scene, it seems.

15. BradBradley

Regular

Agreed! They absolutely, 100%, do not owe it to anyone, but I would be very interested to hear more from the individual members about how their views of Christianity have shifted and what drove that. Dropping a lead single with the word "fucking" sung twenty seconds in feels like a deliberate choice considering the history of the band.

Not that I think this is their intention whatsoever, but, in a cynical world, this would be a hell of a way to drum up attention and PR right before an album launch. In reality, it's probably just a group of dudes choosing to be completely honest with each other and leading in with an acknowledgement that the identity of the collective members has changed.

I like the song.

Much like 2017, 2018 is continuing to convince me that we are living in an alternate timeline.

RyanPm40 and defmytones like this.
  16. BradBradley

Regular

I had the exact same thought, but I convinced myself that I was reading too much into it.

chris-wrecker likes this.
  17. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Never was the biggest UO fan, but I really dig this...

18. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The Tooth and Nail podcast with the Emery/As Cities Burn dudes had an episode on Underoath with interviews with most of the band, including Aaron and Spencer that talked a lot about faith. Basically, Aaron was the one driving the Jesus stuff, Spencer never at any point claimed to be on board, things were awkward for awhile until they came to a head, the rest of the band sided with Spencer when everything hit the fan, and Aaron left to do the Almost/solo worship stuff as a result. That's the short answer up to Aaron leaving and the Christian band stuff. No hard feelings, just normal 'we're in different places' stuff. The whole podcast is a good listen with some funny stories.

If I had to guess based on that podcast, Aaron (who when that was recorded last year sounded like he wanted to be back in the band and just get over it) rejoined, but the rest of the guys gave him the condition that Spencer could write whatever lyrics he wanted and that they would totally separate from the Christian music world. That's my shot in the dark guess after listening to where they were a year ago on that podcast.

At any rate, more than just Underoath, lots of bands have the same story from the Tooth and Nail years, and there are always passive aggressive shots at the Christian music industry in nearly every interview I read or listen to from bands of that era. I know it's gossipy lol, but as a fan of so many of those bands, I can't help but want to know details.

Edit: I *think I repeated all that stuff right, and I *think I got it all from this podcast, which I probably should have just googled and shared before I typed out what I remember and might be misremembering. The Near Collapse of Underoath: Warped Tour 2006 [S1 Ep9]

19. Delysid

Regular

They sound healthy!

20. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Well Aaron has definitely moved away from the christian/worship music. He won’t play it live anymore and he doesn’t like talking about it much either. His ex-wife and the whole divorce drove him pretty crazy. He is finally finding a happy medium with his new solo stuff, moving to Utah, and his new girlfriend.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  21. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I don't guess I care too much if he plays Christian music, but I'm glad to hear he's happy!

22. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Oh hey I thought Aaron had one solo record. Turns out he has three, and on the recent one he cusses several times.

I doubt it took a lot of convincing for him to be cool with Spencer saying fuck, with that new information lol.

beachdude42, teebs41 and Matt504 like this.
  23. BradBradley

Regular

Thank you for posting the link to this podcast! I will definitely listen to it tomorrow!

beachdude42, teebs41 and AshlandATeam like this.
  24. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

lol i'm getting some mega March of the Pigs vibes by Nine Inch Nails during the verses. Song rules.

25. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Spencer can bring it. So happy we are getting a new album, and soon.

beachdude42 likes this.