Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underground Dance Music Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

It's interesting... I can't pinpoint exactly one "revelatory moment", but this definitely was something special. Over the course of listening I went from being intrigued right off the bat with "Archangel" while being uncertain if a whole album of similar sounding material would hold my interest... to being pretty hooked by the end. I'm still not sure if I went from not getting it to "getting it", but I'm definitely very intrigued and willing to listen again to this, and more by Burial and others. The repetitive elements of this type of music used to seem boring to me, but after listening to a longform work like this for the first time in a while, those same elements are actually quite hypnotizing. I'm also really entranced by the soulful vocal samples. I'll try to write some more coherent thoughts when I'm not so tired... but I'm very glad I stayed up to give this a chance.

Jake Jenkins likes this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Can confirm, not soulless robot... at least not yet.

3. UbuWeb is hosting a massive collection of electronic and electroacoustic songs from 1937-2001.
    This is from a 62 CD set called "The History of Electroacoustic Music" that was floating around as a torrent, reputedly curated by a Brazilian student. It's sketchy. The torrent vanished and the collection has long been unavailable.

It's a clearly flawed selection: there's few women and almost no one working outside of the Western tradition (where are the Japanese? Chinese? etc.). However, as an effort, it's admirable and contains a ton of great stuff.

Take it with a grain of salt, or perhaps use it as a provocation to curate a more intelligent, inclusive, and comprehensive selection.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i didn't realize amnesia scanner put out a new EP, gotta cop it
    @Jake Jenkins if you haven't listened you should check him out

5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Nick likes this.
  6. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

A LOT HAS HAPPENED

hey guys this was all very fun to read through
    I'm here now

8. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

Gonna finally be checking him out this May! :clap:

9. Sophos

Regular

i took the helm in your absence howd i do hows my list of albums

10. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

did better than I could have!

11. PauLo

43% Burnt

HI GUYS.

New Low Jack album is bloody great. With Andy Stott out in a couple of weeks, Modern Love has had a hell of a start to the year.

12. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'll have to grab that, I remember not being into his releases on L.I.E.S. but I've also changed a lot since then

13. cherrywaves

Trusted

Really into "Hanging Garden" by Classixx lately...gives me the same feelings as when I first heard "Settle" by Disclosure. Very cool. They have something new coming yeah?

14. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I made a thread for it here too! It has an amazing single with T Pain on it

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

did not realize both the field and vynehall dropped friday, the former is very good and what i've heard of the latter seems like itll follow suit

16. Sophos

Regular

i just put on the field, fucking love it so far

17. Sophos

Regular

yeahhhh those new albums by the field and leon vynehall on repeat all day. dance wit me

18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

that along with the new Ash Koosha LP! All three will be dominating my listening from the sounds of it

19. Sophos

Regular

Ah that's out too? His debut was a mind fuck!

20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah it came out on Friday, I've only had time to skim it but I'd already say it could be better than GUUD

21. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Gotta grab that The Field album. Listening to Vynehall for the second time rn and it's great. Listened to Ash Koosha the other morning and was into it. Anyone listen to the Amnesia Scanner EP or Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith album?

22. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

The Field's album was reallyyy good. Just about to hit play on Leon Vynehall.

23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Just grabbed both AS and Aurelia Smith, thanks for the reminder.

Glad people are checking out Vynehall!

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

AS Crust is one of the best songs of the year. Hope you dig that EP. I had it on the other night when I got stoned with my girlfriend and she got so scared I had to change the music lol.

Yeah, the KAS album is pretty cool. The last track really stuck with me but I've had a thing for lengthier tracks that build and evolve lately.

25. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I edited my post because I thought I couldn't find KAS and then it turned out I was spelling her name wrong...lengthy tracks are absolutely my bag. I'll let you know my thoughts on both!

I remember listening to the Amnesia Scanner release from 2015, think Tiny Mix Tapes turned me onto it