Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underground Dance Music Thread Genre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Sophos

Regular

yeah im sorry but i just dont get where you're coming from as someone who has had their life changed by this music. so i dont know what to tell you. that first post is huge with massively varying electronic genres across all the albums i listed. i cant really help you beyond what ive already done

2. Sophos

Regular

no i get it, you arent being dickish, i just dk what youre looking for or what you want me/us to do about your issue. like i can just start posting individual songs that really clobber me emotionally but you'll probably just be like "yeah it isnt doing it for me" and then what am i supposed to do you know?

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Good point haha I didn't really give anyone anything to go off of for recommendations or anything... I guess the artists Ryan mentioned (Burial, Four Tet) might be good places to try again since he said they were really powerful for him?

4. Sophos

Regular

then go for it, idk what to pick out of the first post because all of what i listed has a very special place in my heart for one reason or another. its all emotional to me. theres no non-emotional electronic music in my world.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. beachdude

Fair enough! Yeah idk, it's hard for me to know what will really click obviously but I'll put in some hours trying different stuff. Even if nothing sticks it'll still be a fun experience, I've been in kind of a musical rut lately and want to branch out.

6. Sophos

Regular

anyway back to the tunes...agane

new sbtrkt ft the dream

7. Sophos

Regular

i mean its not like i know what will click either. your posts in this thread have led me to believe nothing will which just baffles me but i hope you find something to like

8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

yeah like straight up im not a superfan of the genre and was gonna go look at the OP list and pick some that I thought were particularly emotional but barring any emotional attachment that is purely personal virtually every one of those records that ive heard (most) evokes some sort of emotion from me

9. Wharf Rat

listen to the haxan cloak record. "fear" "anxiety" "impending doom" are all emotions

schlotty likes this.
  10. Sophos

Regular

thats the furthest thing from a beginner's electronic record i can think of haha. but i included it because it's fucking amazing

11. Sophos

Regular

oh nvm i didnt even put it in there i think i was trying to stay away from more ambient drone stuff because i think there's a thread for that. but i know he has beats in his stuff too but its more spacious and drone-esque than beat driven

12. Wharf Rat

oh i skimmed and it was mentioned somewhere else but ya. like tim hecker extremely emotional make me cry every day too

13. Sophos

Regular

well obv he only has like 5 of my fav records of all time

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. Sophos

Regular

@beachdude42 i think you just need to keep in mind that youre listening to dance music. this stuff is usually built around or meant for the dance floor. and when its not its still taking influence from more overt dance music. look for emotion where you wouldn't normally look in, say, rock music. listen to the movement of the drums. the tension and release of the track's structure. the ways the synths sound and create an atmosphere/mood, the interactions between all the different elements and how it all plays out, how it's all layered and pieced together to send a message, and if there's vocal samples, how those are used to enhance the mood or atmosphere.

beachdude42 and Wharf Rat like this.
  15. beachdude

Might try some Massive Attack and Portishead, I remember liking those at least somewhat... trip hop. If that's "beginner's electronic" or whatever then oh well lol

16. Sophos

Regular

have you gone through my list already?

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. beachdude

Nope lol... Sorry;-)I'll try something from there first

18. Sophos

Regular

i mean i just wrote out that post about how to approach these things and youre trying to jump into things im not even talking about lol just weird

19. beachdude

Good stuff. I'll keep this in mind.

20. beachdude

No I totally get that... I wasn't sure if those would be similar to something in the list or what, I just assumed what you were saying would apply to them as well (maybe incorrectly).

21. beachdude

I'll just start with the first one on the list, "Untrue" by Burial, since that seems to be pretty acclaimed. I'll eventually post again once I've checked some stuff.

22. Sophos

Regular

portishead is more traditional songwriting with electronics backing it up, based on what i know about your taste (1975, fan of several r&b and hip-hop musicians who incorporate electronic production almost exclusively) you're having problems getting into dance music specifically, and if not that then just instrumental electronic music. which portishead, while amazing, is not.

23. Sophos

Regular

honestly if you dont have a revelation at some point during this album or any of burial's stuff it might be a lost cause lol i dont say that in a mean way i just mean i can count on one hand the amount of music that has touched me the way burial's has. he's incredibly special and there's very very very very few other artists out there imo who make music with such a devastating emotional punch to it, in any genre.

24. Sophos

Regular

anywho

ive been listening to the field almost non stop for the past few days. i hadnt even realized he announced a new album til i looked up what he's been up to after about 3 days of non-stop cupid's head.

25. beachdude

Gonna listen before bed now... I will say I gave Jai Paul's full leaked demos a listen and that and his singles grew on me a lot after repeat listens. Not pure electronic but it's a start.