Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underground Dance Music Thread Genre • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Sophos

Regular

bump for love

schlotty likes this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Just noticed caribou are in the op. I saw them last summer while standing about 5 metres from a wall of subs. That was wild although I thought my ear drums would burst

Digging into the rest of op now.

3. Sophos

Regular

this is gonna be a bangin ep

schlotty likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

That OP is overwhelming to me as someone who likes a lot of electronic music, but can't get into Oneohtrix Point Never or Jon Hopkins and such. Hard to know what sounds like what.

5. Sophos Mar 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2016)
    Sophos

Regular

just sample some here and there, i said in the OP there's a wide variety here. id rather people explore themselves or inquire in the thread to get discussion started than try to lay out RIYLs and descriptors myself that wont do it justice. theres nothing abstract ilke oneohtrix i dont think and hopkins plays pretty top notch ambient house music which is one genre that this thread is definitely aimed at so idk what to tell you other than ask how hard it is just to sample some releases throughout the list? you dont have to check out everything all at once. im just bad at RIYLs and am a believer in someone hearing something for themselves to make a judgement call of what it sounds like. i could toss a misleading RIYL on something that stops you from checking it out even though it might be something you fall in love with. i guess im just biased and think every single think i listed is worth a listen by everyone, i forgot not everyone will agree.

i do think the list is huge and probably daunting to the unitiated but i get asked the same question about what albums to listen to in the genre pretty frequently so i wanted to put as much as i could that i would recommend in one spot to reference. as i said theres no rush to go through the list anyone can go at their own pace and im sure you and others have heard at least a few if not over half of the records on the list. theres nothing that i think is worth taking away from the list either as i think every thing ive listed is pretty essential at least is has been for me. i think that speaks to the strength of electronic music and how much of it out there really i just moving. it often doesnt get enough credit for being a genre that you can easily have a strong emotional connection to. at least, i can. maybe others are different. but many, many of these records mean so much to me on a personal level. just ask me about whatever you wanna know more about and i'll do my best

At the end of the day all I want to do is share the music I love. Nothing more nothing less

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Cupids Head is pretty great.

7. Sophos

Regular

I have it on right now as I'm trying to sleep! The field is just chill enough to be on my sleep playlist haha, his music kind of puts me in a trance

Nick likes this.
  8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

whats the consensus of the ryan hemsworth/lucas ep?

9. Sophos

Regular

its super good

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

new jlin track

username likes this.
  11. Sophos

Regular

damn this is a slapper as usual, she's such an immense talent

12. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

schlotty and Nick like this.
  13. Sophos

Regular

14. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I can never really "click" with most electronic music if I'm being perfectly honest... I know this is going to sound musically "ignorant" or what have you but it's just never been something I could really emotionally resonate with. Even yesterday, I saw people I know getting hyped about that guy Jai Paul coming back possibly, so I checked out his couple of songs expecting something great and timeless, and then as soon as I heard it being mostly electronic I was like "Oh great... electronic stuff."

I've listened to some of the albums on the first page list already and don't really care for much if I'm being honest. I don't know, I think I'm kind of old school with my music tastes in a lot of ways, and for me production and even composition is usually less important than great songwriting and emotional impact... the way the song makes me feel. That's why the non-vocal music I like is generally instrument-based. I may have even posted something like this on AP before, but it DOES frustrate me when so many of my friends love these genres and I don't really get it at all.

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

i flat out don't know what to tell you if you don't find burial or four tet emotionally resonant honestly. burial has more emotional heft than almost any other artist ive ever listened to.

schlotty likes this.
  16. beachdude

I think I've heard some of his stuff from a friend but I can't say I've listened to a lot... would that be your biggest recommendation from that massive list on Page 1 based on what I've said? Usually electronic compositions can be really elaborate and I can appreciate that aspect, but it doesn't leave any emotional impact whatsoever.

17. beachdude

Like if I ever get recommended electronic stuff I'll usually listen once, think "Oh, that's nice..." and never feel the need to listen again. Just don't feel compelled to because it doesn't resonate with me.

18. beachdude

I'll recognize that it's well-made as in, "Wow, this person put a lot of work into this composition and it's very elaborate." but I've never felt blown away to the point of "I HAVE to listen to this again." I don't think that's ever ONCE happened to me.

19. Sophos

Regular

So what's with this post

20. Sophos

Regular

Imho you have to TRY to not be emotionally taken by some of the stuff I listed but hey it's your ears not mine

schlotty likes this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don't think I'll get over samo sound boy. begging please is so great.

22. Sophos Mar 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 22, 2016)
    Sophos

Regular

"Oh great....electronic stuff"

Guess I know who to never ever ever ever share my music with

I mean you love the 1975 who incorporate boat loads of electronic music yet jai Paul has a sub bass under a guitar riff and it's too much for you? I'm just insanely confused because it seems like you have an actual aversion to electronic music which imo as an electronic music enthusiast AND artist, is whack as fucking hell

23. Sophos

Regular

anyway....back to the tunes

bwana just put out a rinse fm mix

24. beachdude

There's some stuff that I can click with, like some of the instrumental tracks on that The 1975 album, but it's pretty rare. Idk I think I just haven't found the type of electronic that's really to my tastes yet, or I don't know what to look for...? It's something I've tried to get into a few times but never really immersed myself in because there's so many subgenres and whatnot and none of the ones I've tried really stuck with me. I'm open to suggestions, like the stuff Ryan mentioned I'd be open to trying more.

Guess I should clarify that I didn't mean that above quote in a way that I'm absolutely gonna reject something because it's electronic... in that case I was expecting something very different and as soon as that Jai track started I could already tell I probably wouldn't get it like so much similar stuff. Just frustrating since I have a few friends including my best friend who almost exclusively listen to electronic now, and we don't have anything to talk about musically. I absolutely know other people like me who feel the same but wouldn't even bother trying to come in something like this thread and explain their viewpoint, they just pass on electronic... I felt like I'd at least try to see if anyone got where I'm coming from and could help me out. I think the key thing for me is that most electronic can be very elaborate/have great production values, yet it just leaves me cold, and that emotional connection isn't there much or at all. That's what I'm trying to get at... trying to find stuff that is different for me or makes me see electronic music in general in a new light.

25. beachdude

Didn't mean to come in here in a dick-ish way like "Your favorite music SUCKS" or anything, I'm glad you guys find stuff in all these artists that I haven't found so far... if anything I'm trying to find the stuff that does stand out for me.