Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Uncut Gems (Safdie Brothers, December 13, 2019) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Have yet to see Uncut Gems..

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

To say that Sandler - an actor who is likely not well respected by Oscar voters - is a lock is very ambitious. I would say that there are three locks: Leo, Driver, Phoenix. Bale could be a fourth and then easily 7 to 8 other actors (Sander being one of them) up for debate to fill the other one or two slots.

The fact that Sandler has been glossed over by the SAG Awards and Golden Globe Awards, no matter how much stock you put into those, does not bode well for him.

3. I bet Hanks is nominated for Neighborhood

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I haven't seen Neighborhood...is Hanks not the lead actor in that movie (I assumed he was) because the noms I've seen him get so far this year have been for Best Supporting Actor.

5. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I'd love nothing more than to see Sandler get in, but I don't see it happening unfortunately. Driver, Phoenix, and Leo seem like pretty sure bets. Those final 2 will likely go to someone in this group - DeNiro, Bale, Banderas, or Jonathan Pryce

6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Hanks isn't the lead

7. riotspray likes this.
  8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Matthew Rhys' character is the lead

riotspray and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

you don't know your shit more than the people at gold derby lol. ah, yes, gotham independent film awards. the same award group that in the same category last year gave the award to someone who wasn't nominated for an oscar. and has nominated more people for actor that were not nominated in either category for oscars in the last five years than the other way around. what the fuck are you talking about lol

10. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I noticed you completely neglected my first statement. I still believe he’s gonna be nominated, perhaps my “lock” comment was a reach but how else can you explain that almost every awards discussion has heavily praised and acknowledged his performance. Again, I have not seen Uncut Gems but word of mouth has been insane regarding him and the film itself.

11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

he is great in the movie. he absolutely deserves a nomination. he's pretty far from a lock. there's more of a chance he doesn't get nominated than there is that he does.

a "lock" this year in the same race is Leo. i like sandler's performance more than leo's in hollywood. saying sandler has remotely close to the same odds as leo to get a nomination is plainly ignoring, like, reality. the awards bodies that you're pointing at that i'm supposedly ignoring regularly give the awards to and nominate people that get ignored by the oscars constantly. he isn't getting more nominations than leo, banderas, de niro, or driver. that's ignoring phoenix who, for some reason, is still considered the favorite. and eddie murphy, jonathan pryce, and christian bale who, at this point, have as good of a shot at the final spot as sandler and will, likely, all be on the outside looking in.

ncarrab likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This thread shouldn’t be bad. Stop making it bad

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

ok in hindsight, i may have exaggerated somewhat. it's not like green room where you're in suspense or whatever for the entire ride, here it basically comes and goes

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this is no shocker to anyone who follows 0pn but the score was otherworldly, and i don't know scores/soundtracks that well

phaynes12 likes this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

It is so depressing to open a thread to see Oscar talk. Take it to the thread dedicated to the rest of the sewer.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

We should be ranking Sandler films in here

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Happy Gilmore
    Billy Madison

The rest

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I’ll start

Billy Madison
    Punch Drunk Love
    Happy Gilmore
    The Waterboy
    Airheads
    Little Nicky
    The Wedding Singer
    Eight Crazy Nights
    Big Daddy
    Mr. Deeds
    50 First Dates

JRGComedy likes this.
  19. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Grown Ups 2

JRGComedy and aoftbsten like this.
  20. Bulletproof

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

People act like Sandler only became a good actor in PDL as if Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore don’t exist. It’s a tour de force!!!

22. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I will be honest I absolutely love Click with no shame tbh

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Possibly the worst movie I've seen in theaters and I don't even dislike the first one haha

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

eight crazy nights one of the worst things i’ve ever seen

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

That’s a technical foul!

ncarrab likes this.