Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Uncut Gems (Safdie Brothers, December 13, 2019) Movie • Page 32

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Jul 19, 2019.

1. tomdelonge

Trusted

Very memable too. Which in a way is the bigger win

2. Morrissey

Trusted

Comparing this to American Beauty is a terrible insult.

OhTheWater, PepsiOne, Zilla and 5 others like this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The Safdies use gritty and uncomfortable situations to purposefully interrogate abrasive truths, American Beauty was a slick, styilsh veneer over an empty shell

4. tomdelonge

Trusted

i don’t disagree w any of that; they obviously know how to make a movie; I guess I feel like this is an abrasive slick, stylish veneer over an empty shell.

What truths are being interrogated? And what ideas that haven’t already been well tread by folks like Michael Haneke, David Lynch or even writers like Donald Antrim, Michel Houellebeqc, Mary Gaitskill?

I’m down w the pursuit of debravity; it’s an aight movie, I just feel like im missing something.

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

They're more interested in race and capitalism than most of those filmmakers are, and their perspective feels authentically theirs, embracing their cultural and generational identity.

coleslawed and Aaron Mook like this.
  6. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I could understand not liking Sandler’s character, but I think he’s far from bland.

8. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Howard is emblematic of the relentless pursuit of success to the point that you lose *why* you’re trying to succeed in the first place, so that even when you succeed you’re hurting those you care about (and, eventually, yourself). He’s an addict. I’m not sure how that doesn’t qualify as a sufficiently “deep” subject matter

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Good Time was a fun ride. I'm really coming to respect Rob Pat

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Fuck, I've gotta watch this again, haven't seen it since the theater. Wonder how it holds up when you know how it ends

11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

ESPN’s Facebook page posted about this movie and all the comments about this movie being terrible and unwatchable from people expecting a typical Sandler movie are bringing me joy.

coleslawed, Blainer93, Zilla and 4 others like this.
  12. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

If you went into this thinking a typical Sandler film would be 2 hours long that’s honestly on you*

*ok I had to look it up and I’m actually shocked by the fact that the longest yard/zohan/chuck and Larry are also almost 2 hours. Like wat

but from what I can tell only his serious roles are over 2 hours so I’m still right

13. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Ok I went to find that post Lmaoo

someone was like “by taking these gambles, he truly lives”

and I just am like .......bruh did we watch the same movie? I don’t know that I would call what he does, especially the ending, “truly living” :crylaugh:

14. popdisaster00 likes this.
  15. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Serenity Now, mad, coleslawed and 8 others like this.
  17. chewbacca110

Dammit. Came in here to post that tweet.

Marx&Recreation likes this.
  18. michaelvalerijr

Pressure's mountin' but I don't Everest

The Center Cut is a podcast where we watch the first 15 and last 15 minutes of a movie or the first and last episode of a TV show season, or and try to figure out what happened in the middle.

Our next episode is based around Uncut Gems, and comes out on July 8th. We record on July 1st, and could use your help! We need questions from you that would be easy to answer ONLY if we had watched the full movie. Anything goes, really. We will include either your name or Chorus username, whichever you prefer.

Please and thank you!

The Center Cut Podcast via Apple Podcasts
    The Center Cut Podcast via Spotify
    The Center Cut Web Feed

riotspray and Serenity Now like this.
  19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Finally saw this and thought it was pretty good. Wouldn’t surprise me if the more I sit with it that it gets better just like Good Time did.

The homage to The Exorcist was immediately interesting and weird but was great.

OhTheWater and theagentcoma like this.
  20. chewbacca110

What part? Digging in the desert opening both movies?

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

22. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

23. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I loved this film's immediate contrast between the black bodies under Chinese neo-colonial slave labor to modern black Americans who are completely blind to the fact that despite their own liberation they're now participating in a market that has reintroduced the very conditions they've escaped from. A naked display at how insidious capitalism is.

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. I Am Mick and riotspray like this.