Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Uncut Gems (Safdie Brothers, December 13, 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol right, exactly

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I 100% can see people seeing something because an actor is in it and being let down it’s not what they expected but ‘bait and switch’ implies the directors were malicious about it or something, haha

3. If in 2019 you aren't at least looking up a trailer or a synopsis before you hit the theater, I don't know what to say

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I would, however, love to see a studio cast like six huge stars and plaster all marketing with their faces and scenes and then MacGruber kill them all off in the first ten minutes of the movie and the rest of the movie is something completely different.

I Am Mick likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah if someone sees Drive because Ryan Gosling is in it and doesn't like it it's not the director's fault that it's not for them, also movie stars seem to like making introspective indies and I don't want to be like no Zach Galifianakis you are the Hangover guy no Baskets or It's Kind Of A Funny Story

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Morrissey Sep 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2019)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Audiences Riled Up Over 'Greenberg' - ComingSoon.net

The original photo link doesn't work, but there are more examples. I remember all of the walkouts during Spring Breakers pretty well too. A couple storming out during The Master, friends mad that I brought them to see The Tree of Life. A video store clerk warning my mother back in 2002 not to watch Punch-Drunk Love because it wasn't what she thought I thought it was.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

Do you think most people do that? Even so, a trailer is literally a commercial for a film, so it is designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

The experience is amplified more when it goes to home release. Listen to people huddled around your local Wal-Mart Redbox and their experience is very different than trailers and a plot detail.

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the first Ad Astra trailer was definitely a bait & switch. they changed it up for the following ones, but that first one really felt like a different thing than what we got.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. PepsiOne Sep 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2019)
    PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Even the trailers they showed before Ad Astra seemed aimed toward general audiences. Jumanji, Star Wars, etc. I’m sure some people were definitely mislead thinking they might see Mad Max on the moon from the rover scene in the trailer.

Also know for sure people were fooled by Tree of Life if the audience feedback corkboard in my theater back then was any indication lol

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

idk man. me and my wife were discussing this in the car on the way back after seeing it. maybe i expected one or two more “chase” or whatever scenes but the general tone is kinda what both of us expected, especially if you know anything from james gray at all.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I don't really see how Tetra's point is confusing at all. There will be a decent number of people who see this because Sandler is in it, probably screaming, and will have no idea who the Safdie's are and will be disappointed.

EDIT:
    Lol judging by Youtube comments, there might be more people going in to see this for The Weeknd than there are for Sandler

12. radiodead

Trusted

This and The Lighthouse are easily my two most anticipated films the rest of the way.

Michael Qualiano and coleslawed like this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

I saw Spring Breakers on opening night. Because there were Disney stars on the poster, this dad was there with what looked like his 14 year old daughter and her friends. Even though it was an R rating, it did not deter him. They ended up walking out in the first five minutes, with the montage of drugs and naked women during the dubstep song.

14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I know what he means but the ‘bait and switch’ comment implied a malicious intent that they were purposefully trying to trick people into seeing it by casting well known stars, which isn’t true.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Sure, not by directors, but by the ad agencies paid to get people into theaters. It'd be silly to not plaster Sandler's ridiculous face all over. It's not malicious, it's business

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It truly is a perfect film

17. Morrissey

Trusted

[​IMG]

Unless you were a cinephile who knew who the Safdies were, you would think it is a typical Sandler film.

coleslawed, PepsiOne and OhTheWater like this.
    BornToRun and Slangster like this.
  19. FUCK

20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, I understand that and it’s not a big deal or anything, but the directors were mentioned in the original post and not the marketing.

Again, no biggie, it was clarified later, I was just explaining why I and others were originally questioning it.

21. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

That’s gonna be a big yes from me

22. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

hell yes

yung_ting likes this.
  23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Was already in, but even more amped now.

24. phaynes12

wow man

25. phaynes12

to be fair, i got tetra’s point entirely, i was just saying i don’t think the trailer for ad astra hid the ball at all. the movie felt pretty true to the footage we saw.

anyways, i am excited for this movie thanks