Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Umbrella Academy (Netflix) TV Show • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 18, 2018.

1. NitrateDawn

Regular

Ellen Page is the biggest star in the show but she’s honestly the weakest link acting-wise IMO

smowashere, RyanPm40 and phaynes12 like this.
  2. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

She's just the least likable main character in my opinion, I think she did a good job. Number 5 is the best!

RyanPm40, mike1885 and Jusscali like this.
  3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I hate everything about her in this show lol

4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Idk, I liked her side story with her and Sissy. I liked them showing LGBT inclusion in that time period.

RyanPm40, victoriamarie and Fletchaaa like this.
  5. Jusscali

The side story this time around was better I think but I still dislike her

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

she's kind of a weak link as an actor pretty much always imo. this might be the most I've liked her in something.

7. Being Vanya is kinda a lose-lose gig. Given that, I think Ellen Page did a great job so far.

victoriamarie likes this.
  8. victoriamarie

NYC now/PGH forever

Ellen Page definitely isn’t the best actress, especially next to Emmy Raver-Lampman whose performance this season was amazing, but as a small, gay, brown-haired woman I appreciate her being there haha

JayLightBeer likes this.
  9. Maybe a hot take but I do not think the acting is that good on this show overall. But the story and how fun it is makes up for it.

Whalejaw, RyanPm40 and Jusscali like this.
  10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

some of the actors are better than others. luther and diego were pretty weak s1 but they wrote the characters to play into the actors’ strong suits moreso in s2

11. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I'd say the acting is *effective* all the way around, like... it matches the tone and the notes land where they need to IMO

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Hard to pinpoint whether or not it's bad acting, or just actors having to deal with cheesy dialogue

13. Dickon tarly, Diego, even five are not good actors imo. They all get away with it because it's a fun show.

14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is a goofy sci fi show where I don’t care if I see award winning performances or not.

15. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah I didn't mind any of the performances. They all suited their roles well.

16. TomG

Trusted Supporter

For someone that got into it via the show, how close do the comics stick and is it worth reading?

17. Jusscali

From what I’ve read they have taken a number of liberties

18. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

From a post I made earlier in the thread:

The first season is pretty accurate, except the ending. In the second comic mini series, they do travel back in time to Dallas, but it’s only for a little bit and they don’t get stuck there. Season two is vastly different from the second graphic novel. Volume 3 is insane and I don’t see how the third season will be anything like it. I highly recommend the comic. Three trades so far and they’re all written by Gerard.

TomG and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. RyanPm40

One thing I'll give the series is that the development of the characters is waay better in the show. I find it hard to get emotionally invested in the characters when reading the comics - I think it's more plot-driven while the show is more character-driven. Also not a huge fan of Gabriel's art, but that's just a matter of taste

Or maybe I'm crazy

disambigujason and xapplexpiex like this.
  20. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

That makes sense. Honestly, season one was faithful to the comic for the most part, but it was so drawn out (pun not intended) since the first series was so short. The plus side of that is it gave the show more time to get you invested in the characters.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  21. RyanPm40

Yeah I agree, and tbh, I'm still not the biggest fan of season 1 because of how drawn out it felt (though it had plenty of fun moments that I loved!) Season 2 was a massive improvement to me, even though you're totally right that it's quite different from the comic

xapplexpiex likes this.
  22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

It seems like they are skipping Hotel Oblivion and going right to the 4th volume (the title is a spoiler), which hasn't even come out yet.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

That’s what I’m thinking too, but I hope not. I love Hotel Oblivion.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Maybe they'll sprinkle it in here and there.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

Hotel Oblivion would be some very expensive VFX, I'm sure heh

xapplexpiex likes this.