Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Umbrella Academy (Netflix) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The ending made me happy. I thought they were just going to do some happy ending bullshit. It was a good swerve.

SincerelyEmma and RyanPm40 like this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Okay, I've never read the books but I remember when they came out. Absolutely no idea what the story was going in to this. I'm only two episodes in but I am really enjoying it.

One question though, and this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but is Luther supposed to just be very muscular...??? He looks very silly. Like distractingly so. He looks like a guy wearing a jacket that's way too big and it makes his head look really small.

3. You'll find out why

FrankieThe4th, SpyKi and Brother Beck like this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I was kinda hoping it was something that would be addressed in the story.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This was awesome. One of my favorite Netflix series in a long time. Really hope we get more.

6. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Watched a few more episodes and also re-read volumes 1 and 2 of the comics - my opinion of the show is steadily improving - episode 2 still stands as a clear low point for the writing and I think that's a result of how decompressed the storytelling has to be at that point.

There are some editing/structural choices that irk me - some of the various storylines get split across episodes in a way that might confuse casual viewers, especially when you throw time travel into the mix. A lot of instances of withholding necessary exposition for the sake of milking it later as a reveal.

There are some instances of the reverse where it works really, really well - in the comics, for instance, Five is just BACK prior to the funeral, rather than ominously arriving in-scene and bringing the Plot with him. Ben being a significantly more fleshed out character is another welcome change. And all of the flashback scenes feel realer and more fleshed out than the pulpy, comical moments we get in the comics - fighting the Eiffel Tower and Lincoln Memorial, etc.

Also I miss their hero names, but three names for each character would probably be too much. And Diego has different powers that no longer fit his motif, so...

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Hazel is my hero (post- quitting The Commission, obvs. I’m no assassin. although the traveling would be nice.).

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

renewed, because duh

9. NitrateDawn

Regular

Just finished and loved it. Knew next to nothing about the graphic novel but this to me felt very much like a mix of X-Men and Doom Patrol, which makes sense that Gerard cites them as influences.

It's one of those things that has a decent amount of small flaws that just pale in comparison to how awesome the overall show is

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Also finished this last night and really enjoyed it. Some things I didn’t like but overall this was a fun watch, bummer we gotta wait so long for season 2.

Also RIP Pogo that part sucked

CarpetElf and coleslawed like this.
  11. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Didn’t think I was gonna be into it based on early reactions but I actually really liked this.

disambigujason likes this.
  12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

haven’t read any Doom Patrol, but this definitely felt like a younger Watchmen where they all grew up together.

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

My wife and I finished this last night. This honestly isn't the kind of thing either of us usually watch, and we both loved it.

I do have to say though, it started off with a bang in that the pilot was fantastic, but then episode 2 was not that great. I do think it got better and better with each episode after that though, so it was firing on all cylinders towards the end of the season, and the finale was absolutely perfect. I ended up loving each and every member of the Academy even Luther, and I thought the show was fantastic at showing you where even someone like Leonard/Harold was coming from.

I thought it was so cool that it had a character about to cause the f---ing apocalypse and kill countless people and I was yelling at my TV for everyone to just be nice to their sister and give her a damn hug.

14. NitrateDawn

Regular

I can see that. Doom Patrol is basically superheroes with the world's weirdest super powers, and characters like Ben, Diego or Luther (the body horror element) reminded me of that

coleslawed likes this.
  15. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Finished this over the weekend. Loved it

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. So good. Love Ellen Page.

CarpetElf, Joe4th and Brother Beck like this.
  17. This has the fascinating weirdness of Legion and the emotional depth of Punisher S1 and Daredevil S3. It works for me more in terms of a dysfunctional family drama than it does a superhero show, and I mean that in a good way. Like, whenever I finished an episode, I was kind of underwhelmed by the action, but overwhelmed by the story, so I only watched one or two episodes a day; this would've been tough to binge.

coleslawed, Joe4th and Anthony_ like this.
  18. Anthony_

I watched one per day except for the last two which I watched back-to-back. I definitely feel like I enjoyed it more than I would have if I had binged.

19. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I watched the entire thing in a 26 hour period. It was incredibly easy to binge for me, lol. I did have pretty low expectations based on the mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it.

20. Sometimes I get so emotionally invested that I can only handle a bit at a time.

My friend cries at everything, though.

21. jorbjorb

7 rings

On episode 4. Love this!

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Finished it today. I mainly watched it for Gerard even though I knew nothing about the comics but I really really liked it for the most part, though it's not without its flaws. I fucking hated Leonard, and not the way you're supposed to I think, like the actor was really annoying. Some of the writing/plot points were also pretty damn cliche.

There were definitely way more positives than negatives though. The chemistry between the main cast is phenomenal, and there's not a weak spot in the group (I hope Allison gets her voice back though, but don't spoil it for me if it happens in the comics lol), I was so invested in the family dynamic by the end. It was also gorgeous to look at, so many interesting shots and genuinely really good special effects, and the music is amazing too. I'm a sucker for fight scenes set to songs that clash with the situation (if that makes sense) and this show had a ton of them.

Can't wait to see where this goes. I actually like not having read the comics because I genuinely have no idea where this goes next. I do think they almost made Vanya borderline irredeemable by the end though which I didn't expect, I really wonder how they're going to pull that off

23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Finally finished this up. Pretty damn cool show for the most part. I have read the comics so will be interesting to see what season 2 looks like

Mcrx likes this.
  24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

how involved is gerard in this?

25. Anthony_

pretty sure he’s just an EP