Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 9

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  2. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  3. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

4. Jamie Dagg

I'm fairly certain that was quite a safe seat anyway, but if it wasn't before it sure as hell is now. Disgusting.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  5. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

6. Jamie Dagg

As the debate starts, good to have this revelation out there...

emeryk3 likes this.
  7. Jamie Dagg

Clearly a bad screengrab, but I found this pretty funny.

Zac Djamoos and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  8. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I'm glad I made this thread, it is so much easier to separate stuff and read separate discussions

9. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Dominick likes this.
  10. Jamie Dagg

Overall Corbyn came off really well in that interview. Some stumbles over issues like the Falklands but I don't think that that remains relevant enough in most voters minds. The trouble is for the most part May was strong too. The budget hit and points made by Paxman about U-turns won't look good but I don't think it's significant enough to change the polls too much.

emeryk3 and Whatjuliansaid like this.
  11. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

I think they both did well with Paxman. If Brexit wasn't at the forefront, I'd feel Corbyn would be in a much better position than he is. May seems like the better negotiator.

12. Jamie Dagg

I'd argue May's negotiating skills were actually her biggest stumbling block in that interview. Paxman really managed to dig in to her U-turns on Brexit and the election and made her look like a weak leader.

13. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

I just agree with her overall stern approach in negotiating skills. It doesn't seem like a U-turn to me, rather than accepting the democratic result of the referendum and now working to align with the best interests of the British people. Corbyn just comes across as if he'd just accept whatever demands the EU request in order to get a deal, and when they're reportedly demanding €100bn, then that seems problematic. That's just one of the few instances where I'm edging more with May than him.

14. Jamie Dagg

Hmm, to me the stern approach comes across as immovable rather than strong. The idea of not getting a deal with the EU really worries me. I meant more the fact that she made clear she wouldn't hold an election and then held one anyway- whether you think it makes sense or not, Paxman really hammered home on that and the audience loved it.
    Out of interest, are you effectively a floating voter then? Or is it just an issue that you would want Corbyn to strengthen his position on?

emeryk3 likes this.
  15. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Yeah, that's reasonable. I do hope May gets a deal, just feel her approach will be better in negotiating. I don't have a strong stance because I feel it'll be a shitstorm either way, lol.

With this election, I'm generally in favour of Labour and Lib Dems. I feel like they've got the best policies that resonate with me the most. Ultimately, I want the tories out, so I'm definitely voting Labour. My mother would kill me if I wasn't, lol. But yeah, this is my first election where I'm actively engaged in the politics and encouraging friends to register and vote.

16. Jamie Dagg

Glad to hear it! I've seen a lot of people really driving for more voters to register, myself included. This is set to be the highest number of young voters ever, potentially, and if nothing else that's something to be proud of.

emeryk3 likes this.
  17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I am interested to see what the 18-24 year old turnout is. Only 43% in 2015. Last big turnout for the 18-24s in a General Election was 63% in 1992.

It's also intriguing that the early analysis of the referendum had the turnout of 18-24s as a lot lower than the reality - according to this article it was about 64% of those who were registered.

Sadly, at 27 I'm outside this age bracket now!

18. Jamie Dagg

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/19/important-young-people-vote/amp/
    Hearing this has me feeling pretty positive that turnout would be pretty amazing. Obviously not all of these people will vote, but I can't imagine an extra million young people registering is a small percentage. I could see us having a turnout close to the 1974 record of 70%. I'm 21 so I'm very much in that demographic but I would've voted regardless given I'm a student studying Law and Politics, so I don't really account for the change. Fingers crossed though!

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  19. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

The fact that I just graduated, saddled with £27k+ of debt from tuition fees, whilst Labour promises new students they would go completely free does irk me a little. 2012-2017 students got ripped the fuck off. Not that I'd want younger students to face the same burden but the idea a new student can do the exaxt same course as me but without the prospect of so much debt does piss me off. I'd happily take a little hit, just like new students did when they lost maintenance grants, but that's an insane amount of disposable income I'd lose in comparison. It was always a ridiculous amount to begin with - the original £3k a year was respectable enough.

Obviously, I'd still benefit from against above-inflation interest rate rises, so that's something.

20. Wharf Rat

damn i hate how corbyn has to back down on his coolest beliefs like hating NATO

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

YES! It's a fascinating time to be studying politics. I studied History & Politics so I'm in a similar boat. Would love to see a massive increase in voting in the bracket.

Jamie Dagg likes this.
  22. Wharf Rat

TFW u try to shit on a politician but actually list a bunch of really good things

23. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Imagine if we had to vote for a candidate who would give all the countries we stole from Mexico back lol this is different though

24. Jamie Dagg

Given that that'd mean California would become part of Mexico I think that'd go well! Arizona on the other hand would hate it...

25. Jamie Dagg

If this is the case then this has to be the biggest political upset this country has ever seen.