Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

UK and Europe World • Page 74

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

What is sad for me is watching Harry have to play out his trauma of losing his mother in public. Seeing the same things happen to your wife, added with the excruciating and vile racism, is heartbreaking.

You have to have that as your starting point for any legitimate analysis in my eyes.

Mary V likes this.
  2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I can only echo the above. I find the whole situation maddening and also deeply sad.

The horrible right wing media here has an awful lot to answer for.

3. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Fuck this vile bully and all the horrendous shit he does. I have no idea how ITV is remaining complicit in allowing him to voice literal abuse every morning whilst promoting positive mental health messages. It's a farce.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  4. Philll

Trusted

I generally feel like this take is on the money

5. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

He is great for ratings for sure which ITV probably loves, but ethically it just doesn't make much sense to me.

I think Limmy has articulated it pretty well in this thread:

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Reports he has left the show. Thank god.

Thrillcollinz likes this.
  7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

He’s gone. Good riddance.

8. Philll

Trusted

[​IMG]

9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

He’s left at just the right time to get a job on the new Rupert Murdoch / Andrew O’Neil channel GB News or whatever.

Not planned at all lol.

Philll and AFoolsGlory like this.
  10. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah for sure. He’s probably already had a massive offer from them before he even pulled this stunt. He’ll for sure pop up on there. Everything that guy does is calculated.

11. GBlades

Trusted

It's good that he's left, probably past due but i think it's easy enough to be sacked/leave when you have another job opening. He really won't care.

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Police manhandling and arresting women at a vigil for a woman who was allegedly murdered by a policeman is not a good look.

What is this week? So many situations highlighting how awful the experience of women is whether your famous like the Duchess of Sussex or just a normal person. You should not have to live in fear for your lives just because you exist. I’ve no idea how many people identify as women in this thread but I want to say we are sorry, we are part of the problem, we are listening and we will do all we can to stand with you to fight for justice and equality.

13. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  14. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Although I agree personally, I will say yesterday Santander announced a massive set of downsizing measures (for the offices and contact centres at least) that will involve shutting down entire offices (Newcastle, Leeds, Teesside all going, which totals thousands. Hundreds alone just at Teesside) and forcing all "non-critical" staff to work at home for all but 5 days per quarter, making them sign a new contract or take redundancy.

My girlfriend and her housemate both are going to be affected by the changes, and have both really struggled with working from home. Both have said they'd rather quit/ take redundancy if offered and instead find a job still office based.

Thrillcollinz likes this.
  15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Someone I know works from home but many if not most of her colleagues refuse to do so even despite regular outbreaks

16. Philll

Trusted

Yeah honestly I think people are pretty split in reality. I know my wife is looking forward to the opportunity to work in an office again. We have two little kids and trying to get anything done with them around is extremely difficult.

Ideally workplaces would keep the option open for those who want it, but then businesses can't afford to keep running office spaces that only half of people are using.

17. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

I totally appreciate it is going to be a logistical nightmare, and the whole eco system in cities are fundamentally based on people commuting in to work so retail/coffee shop chains will suffer due to it.

I can however just imagine companies who will offer the opportunity for staff to have much more flexibility in how and where they work will thrive post-lockdown as opposed to those asking for staff to commute more often.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Feels like the happy medium would be renting out smaller office spaces so that those who want to come in can and those who want to stay home stay home. I'm interested to see what happens here in America, a lot of businesses are already apparently announcing their intentions to stay remote.

I'm also interested in what to do with the now vacant office spaces for the businesses that decide to do that. Seems like a perfect opportunity to convert them to housing.

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I have been working in the office tand I enjoy the sense of separation from my home life, plus the social aspects and the routine it gives me. My partner has been WFH this whole time and is very lonely from it. I come home from work and she hasn't seen anyone for like 8 hours and I might be exhausted but she wants to make the most of the time and it's quite difficult to be honest, I feel bad for her.

Her company are moving to three days in the office, two days WFH when everything resumes which could be a nice balance and I would enjoy that personally.

20. Philll

Trusted

Super cool country we got here

21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I love that Prince Phillip has died and no one in this thread gives a fuck.

How it should be.

22. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Happy Haircut day everybody.

Stay safe :fist:

SamLevi11 and Philll like this.
  23. Hey all, mainland Europe resident here. Germany has been fudging this horrendously. My city has a curfew until the end of this weekend and I haven't checked if it'll be extended country-wide yet.

Last year it was "well if I visit my parents in the US I'm likely to get sick" and now it's "if I travel back I could probably get the vaccine sooner than staying here" :teethsmile: Cool cool

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Europe really continues to thoroughly shit the bed in this regard

Keri likes this.
  25. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Philll likes this.